Gibson Brands Forums

Yo RotcanX !!!

daneman

Would have been"Hey RotcanX" But Mantic already used that today.

Since this is a different topic,I decided not to just post on Mantic's thread.

I have seen several times where you have stated that the old early 90s Samick made Les Pauls were very good.

In your opinion,would one with upgraded hardware, pickups,and wiring come anywhere near Elitist territory?

My 92 is so nice what with the upgrades and fret level/dress...somewhat nicer than any of my newer Epiphones,so I just wanted your opinion...not that I really expect it to be. It's very comfortable and worn in to boot. I even found a 2nd hand Gibson USA case for $70...fun fun!

Just wondering.

Daneman

In your opinion' date='would one with upgraded hardware, pickups,and wiring come anywhere near Elitist territory? Just wondering.[/quote']

Close... very close... but not quite. The Elitist still jumps out with its true mahogany body and solid maple cap (even though the flametop is a veneer). Also, as fine as the workmanship is on the Samicks, the Elitists are... well.. perfect.

Les%20Paul2.jpg

eliteLP2.jpg

Been there, seen that, done it. It didn't quite work. [-X

Really Jones-ing with Gas hard for an Elitist LP Custom.

@ $1099 it would be the treat.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Elitist-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=518403

This is the choicebreaker here though

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Elitist-Les-Paul-57-Goldtop-Electric-Guitar?sku=518437

Either one of these fine guitars would moth-ball anything I'm currently playing.

Absolutely. I still get to lay my hands on my old Samick from time to time although it now has a set of Gibson '57 Classics... the basswood body is nice and thick and although it looks a bit weird compared to mahogany I'm pretty sure it was a better alternative than the stuff they use now. Also they had a super slim neck profile, almost as slim as the Elitist and very fast if that's your thing.

I bought mine off the bay a few years back,for $125...it was in sorry shape at the time,the action at the 12th fret was at least 1/8"probably closer to 1/4" through time, patience and new parts purchases,I've turned an old beat up unplayable beast into a fine playing and sounding,but still beat up sweetheart. I think the only thing still stock is the wood and frets.GFS vintage 59 pickups,replaced the old mini pots with new alphas,still had to ream out the holes lol,the switch and jack were already upgraded.Black bridge,tail and tuners,not sure who made them but they are either gotah or good copies.Orange drop caps.To me,this thing is as good as either of the Gibson LPs I've previously owned.

If I could weild a paint gun as well as you,I might have refinished her,but to me the battle scars sort of add something!

Well, the fact that you managed to get such a good guitar for such a low price definitely adds to the fun. When I bought mine, they were a lot more expensive than now, over $600. Plus a case. Then I dropped a set of Grovers (real ones) on to it and a pair of Seymours... new switch, plus pull pots for coil splitting and phasing... leveled the frets a couple of times. I figure if I had to pay for the labour I'd have ended up close to the price of the danged Elitist.

Archived