Gibson Brands Forums

ZW LP Custom Modifications

Hey guys, I'd like to ask Epiphone ZW LP Owners.

I currently have a korean-made bullseye Epi LP ZW and am thinking of doing some modifications to it. Would you guys mind sharing what you've done to your Epi ZWs and your purposes for doing that (e.g to get better tone, distortion, or just to improve the quality of the gear)?

I'd really appreciate it, thanks a lot.

Cheers,

Slowhand

Hey guys' date=' I'd like to ask Epiphone ZW LP Owners.

I currently have a korean-made bullseye Epi LP ZW and am thinking of doing some modifications to it. Would you guys mind sharing what you've done to your Epi ZWs and your purposes for doing that (e.g to get better tone, distortion, or just to improve the quality of the gear)?

I'd really appreciate it, thanks a lot.

Cheers,

Slowhand[/quote']

Most common I know of is dumping the H4Z to get a REAL active EMG set.

What is it that you don't like about the guitar? No use fixing something that ain't broken. The Epiphone ZWs I've played have been IMO all good, didn't feel like I was missing anything (only the cash to buy one, that is).

To get better tone get a better amp. Don't know how much the impersonal active pickups will help getting more out the same old guitar and amp - someone else will probably have a good answer.

Anyhow, a couple of suggestions come to mind..

- Take that satin finish off the back of the neck with a fine ScotchBrite pad or similar and oil it. Check out the Gibson ZW signature LP first and decide if you like it, though.

- If you use the pickup switch as a kill switch for effect as much as ZW seems to, or get snaps and pops from the guitar when switching pickups, get a new Switchcraft switch.

- Polish the frets and oil the fretboard (with lemon oil), dust some pencil lead in the nut grooves and you're good to go

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I don't really hv trouble with this gear, just wondering what other owners might be doing to enhance it in some other ways. I'm just wondering if there's something i could do with the gold hardware. I just noticed that the gold hardware had started to become worse (having small dots that look like rust). Can u do sth with it or just let it go to make it look more 'vintage'? Tks.

I'm just wondering if there's something i could do with the gold hardware. I just noticed that the gold hardware had started to become worse (having small dots that look like rust). Can u do sth with it or just let it go to make it look more 'vintage'? Tks.

The gold flaking off is inevitable and is dependant on how agressive the acids in your sweat are.

Maybe an occasional coat of wax on the hardware would protect some.

Since you are a ZW-player maybe you'd want to try screwing the tailpiece completely down' date=' and pull the string through and then back [i']over[/i] the tailpiece. It's an old Billy Gibbons trick and supposed to alleviate bending the very heavy strings ZW is using.

Archived