Gibson Brands Forums

Project Guitar (Special II)....."Rosemary's Baby"

The_Sentry

I'm having project withdrawals....ugh....and I'm looking at this Special II.

Why?

Part of it is with the intentions of having a punk/metal guitar that I won't care about if it gets broken, stolen, or destroyed, but the other aspect of this is to play mad scientist on a guitar without worrying about whether or not it gets damaged or ruined while conducting said experminentation.

(DISCLAIMER: I'm a left handed player, so options are not quite as great for a typical player.)

Here was my thought:

1. Acquiring a cheap guitar that is set up for humbukers. I'm sort of partial to the Epiphone Les Paul Special II in a vintage sunburst (which lists for about 184 dollars or so). I know there are other models out there....if anyone has any recommendations towards cheap humbucking guitars without too many moving parts, input is welcome. The only other prerequisites I'm looking at: I'm not very interested in a strat-styled bodied guitar, I want something with a Tune-O-Matic bridge (less moving parts....as it is I don't play with a tremolo bar very much anymore, they're slightly easier to tweak than strat bridges, a bit cheaper for replacement parts, and anything with a Floyd Rose is probably going to cost a bit more.) And although I'm not really looking for a strat styled bodied guitar, at the same time I'm not a huge fan of the BC Rich/whacked out guitar bodied designs. So....sure. Les Paul style, SG style, a telecaster style, or a fascimile thereof.

2. Spending the extra money to get a bone nut cut for the guitar. I know that tone isn't going to be fantastic on this (hah...no mahogany body with an arch maple top) but a bone nut vs. a plastic one should go a long way towards cleaning up the playability of this guitar as well as improving the tonality of it. Although I do a lot of my own modifications, this is one job I typically leave to the pros. (I don't have the tools to get the perfect nut cut...and yes, I'm pretty specific for the strings residing at around 1/64th of an inch between the top of the 1st fret and the bottom of the E string if that is what manufacturer specs advertise.) I'll probably also have the tech verify the truss rod while they're at it. I know about slapping a capo on the 1st fret, pressing down on the 14th fret and then checking for the .010 gap at the 6th fret (the business card trick)....but sometimes it's just easier when someone's got the right tools for the job. Truss rod adjustment also takes a long time, and if I'm already giving up the guitar for the nut...

3. Additional costs: I don't plan on getting this for the guitar (i'm really, really hoping) but if the strings still won't stay in tune, I may look into some grover replacement keys, even though in my experience it takes a few months to break those in good and proper. If the bridge saddles rattle, I will either stick derbis in there to make it stop, or I will pony up the 20 some odd bucks for an All Parts replacement bridge for the Gibson, rob it of the saddles and stick it into this guitar. (This model of Epiphone, and the Epi bridges for that matter are not interchangeable with the Gibsons.....but, I can still fudge it.) The goal here is to get the guitar to stay in tune, play straight, minimal fret buzz, and it will still be as such when I set the action at approximately 4-64th of an inch on the high E string and 6/64th of an inch on the low E string, measuring at the 12th fret.

4. Pickups: Of course, I could go the route of my other Epiphone and slap in Gibson hardware...but nah, this isn't that kind of guitar. What I want to do here is take the old pickups that came out of an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and put them in this guitar. My perception of these was that although they had fairly decent output (comparable to the 490/498's in my Les Paul Studio), the sound was a bit muddy, and the high end never translated vs. the low end in audio output mixes. Nevertheless, they will probably be an improvement over what comes as stock in something like a Special II. (Designators for the pups are 57CH (G) in the neck which may have been set up for a Dot or other archtop, and HOTCH (G) in the bridge. If anyone has any additional information on these pickups including ohm output, magnet type, or other specifications, please let me know! It's a wasteland out there as far as info on these specific pups.

5. The Secret Weapon! So...now that I have all of this....it's time to unleash...the secret weapon. The one thing that will transform this low-end guitar with muddy sounding pickups into a screamer and a squealer worthy of the Rosemary name! My idea here is to......dump the 500k potentiometers (pots) for the volume and upgrade to 1 meg pots. I know the pros and cons of doing this to a certain degree....(Never personally performed the operation...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!) On the upside? A lot more gain on the high end...slightly more presence on the low end (no greater output)....this should go a long way towards transforming the Epiphone pickups which sounded muddy with 500k pots in them. Downside? I can pretty much write off any sort of volume control/manupulation through the knob on the guitar itself. What's bad enough with a humbucker with standard 500k pots will just be impossible. (I'll have to work that Morley pedal.) I'm also uncertain about whether or not I need to also upgrade the tone pots as well, and the capacitors. I'd rather not do it...but if anyone has any sort of experience with modified pots, I'm all ears. Literally.

So...add one set of Schaller straplocks if I get this specific guitar, a cheap gig bag and this in effect would be "Rosemary's Baby"...a cheap, sad little guitar that would probably be laughed at....until it was plugged in, and subsequently blew someone's head off! Hahahah!!!

And, I'd have a nice guitar for those basement shows where it wouldn't matter if some fool crashed into me, or someone coveted the Baby enough to accidently fall on it or steal it.

(Seriously though...if there's any recommendations on this project, input is welcome. Or, any experiences with modified pots on cheaper pups....or doing modifications on guitars is welcome.)

ADD'L REASON: I think....I'm becoming addicted to modding and upgrading guitars. 8-[ The Special II (which, ironically is the only leftie model available in a classic vintage as far as solid bodies go) seems to be the right price. I did try the Les Paul 100 over the weekend....that's a pretty decent guitar for the price, and the setup is nice....but in terms of how much butchering might happen with this guitar....I'm thinking I need to stick with the baseline and go from there.

I'm having project withdrawals....ugh....and I'm looking at this Special II.

Part of it is with the intentions of having a punk/metal guitar that I won't care about if it gets broken' date=' stolen, or destroyed, but the other aspect of this is to play mad scientist on a guitar without worrying about whether or not it gets damaged or ruined while conducting said experminentation.

1. Acquiring a cheap guitar that is set up for humbukers. I'm sort of partial to the Epiphone Les Paul Special II in a vintage sunburst (which lists for about 184 dollars or so).

2. a bone nut.

3. Additional costs: grover replacement keys, 20 some odd bucks for an All Parts replacement bridge

4. Pickups: take the old pickups that came out of an Epiphone Les Paul Custom.

5. dump the 500k potentiometers (pots) for the volume and upgrade to 1 meg pots.

So...add one set of Schaller straplocks if I get this specific guitar, a cheap gig bag and this in effect would be "Rosemary's Baby"...a cheap, sad little guitar that would probably be laughed at....until it was plugged in, and subsequently blew someone's head off![/quote']

Neat idea, if you just want to tinker with a guitar. I severely doubt it will "scream" with the Epiphone PUs tho.

Personally I'd pick a guitar with a better base to work with. Like a second hand SG 400 or something.

Neat idea' date=' if you just want to tinker with a guitar. I severely doubt it will "scream" with the Epiphone PUs tho.

Personally I'd pick a guitar with a better base to work with. Like a second hand SG 400 or something.[/quote']

I'm not so sure. Although I don't know the specific specs on the Epiphone Alcino's that shipped with the LP Custom (what type of magnet they're using)...volume wise they were comparable to the 490's.

They were just sort of....missing some high end. They didn't sound very bright.

If they were of a brighter quality...I wouldn't even consider the 1 meg pot because this is where the biggest gain comes from. I'd just stick with the 500k pots...

But....I have this sneaky suspicion....

From WD music

As a potentiometer is turned fully down, all of the signal from the pickup(s) is diverted to ground, resulting in no output from the instrument. When the potentiometer is turned up to full volume, the resistance of the potentiometer theoretically prevents any of the output signal leaking to ground, and weakening the output signal. Lower value pots, however, do not completely block the signal from leaking to ground even when turned up all the way, so using a 250k potentiometer will result in a slight loss of high frequency, as well as volume. This may please some musicians who want a mellower tone, but for those seeking ultimate purity of signal, a higher value potentiometer may be just what is needed. The higher the value, the more leakage is blocked from ground, which allows more of the signal to be sent to the output. A 500k pot may be just right, but a 1meg ohm pot will provide an all out sonic assault. Higher highs; lower lows; more volume - a rocker's dream! The only drawback of going to this higher value is the perceived range and sweep of the control. It's like going from 0 to 10 without the fine increments of control in between.

2. Spending the extra money to get a bone nut cut for the guitar. I know that tone isn't going to be fantastic on this (hah...no mahogany body with an arch maple top) but a bone nut vs. a plastic one should go a long way towards cleaning up the playability of this guitar as well as improving the tonality of it. Truss rod adjustment also takes a long time...

Meh... the nut isn't going to make that much of a difference. Won't hurt though. And what makes you think truss rods take a long time to adjust?

3. I will pony up the 20 some odd bucks for an All Parts replacement bridge for the Gibson' date=' rob it of the saddles and stick it into this guitar. (This model of Epiphone' date=' and the Epi bridges for that matter are not interchangeable with the Gibsons.....but, I can still fudge it.)[/quote'']

The saddles from Allparts/Gibson bridges don't fit in Epi bridges.

4. Nevertheless' date=' they will probably be an improvement over what comes as stock in something like a Special II.[/quote']

Guess again. The stock ceramic pickups in the Special IIs are actually pretty good.

5. dump the 500k potentiometers (pots) for the volume and upgrade to 1 meg pots. I know the pros and cons of doing this to a certain degree....(Never personally performed the operation...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!) On the upside? A lot more gain on the high end...slightly more presence on the low end (no greater output)....this should go a long way towards transforming the Epiphone pickups which sounded muddy with 500k pots in them. Downside? I can pretty much write off any sort of volume control/manupulation through the knob on the guitar itself.

More gain? No. None. Nada. Bupkis. A tiny bit more high end, that's about it.

Good luck with your project.

I think tinkering with the Epiphone pickups would be a lost cause...

Maybe so. But it won't cost anything to put these in as I already own them and they're just collecting dust right now. (and who knows? If a 1 meg pot transforms these muddy pups into screamers, I'll be one of the few who will be blowing the doors off of other guitar owners with an ALL EPIPHONE GUITAR.....(with the exception of....ok, the pots themselves, or in the case of the Special II, the 1 pot that can be had for about 6 bucks or so...)

If this doesn't work? Sigh....I will probably have to put something like Seymours in it and go back to the 500k pots. I just don't want to spend globs of money on this project like I did my last one. (No, you will never see Tony Iommis or Angus Young pups in a guitar like this...hahahah)

Afternoon RotcanX

More gain? No. None. Nada. Bupkis. A tiny bit more high end' date=' that's about it.

Good luck with your project.[/quote']

On the nut....it won't transform it, but the biggest complaint I've heard about the Special II's is that the string sometimes slips off the fretboard. I'm also not a fan of plastic nuts on any guitars...even one like this. It's the one sticky thing I have....

As for the truss rod? I figured if it's off (even if it's not) I'll just have the guy check it if he's already doing the nut. Truss rods aren't extremely time intensive, but it does require patience. (1/4 turn depending on if rod it too tight or too lose, and waiting 20-30 minutes to check it again.) I can do it myself, but if the guy has a proper plane level and can just check it in 5 minutes, it's all good...

As for the All Parts bridge saddles...the ones I bought do. They're working just fine in my Epi Les Paul custom. All I had to do was reverse the saddles because I'm left handed.

As for the gain....slightly more high end is exactly what I think the Alcino's need that came out of that LP custom.

But 6 one half...it's all a 200 dollar guitar at the end of the day. There's no better way to find this stuff out than to....open that baby up and operate! Mwahahahahaha!!!!!!

"

First things first. Do you have a white lab coat?

No....

But my tighty whities are clean.

I think I have to share a story at this point....(and if you've heard the story before...well, sometimes that's the way it goes with stories....)

:)

A few months back I caught this bar band out in Virginia. They were like most bar bands....guys in their late 20's/early 30's putting out the cover tunes. They had a decent sound, and were playing a mix of classic rock with some funk and reggae tossed into the mix.

Normally, they only have one guitar player...now this guitar player, he's a strat guy, but this isn't any ordinary, run-of-the-mill stratocaster...

His is a 1959, pre-CBS strat. Yes, one of those that will often times fetch as much as 50,000 dollars at an auction. When he arrived, you could tell he had something special just by the case this guitar was in. It was easily something that had the potential to block a rocket launched missile, so solid was the contruction of the steel case.

And when he opened it up....there it was. Faded sunburst, aged neck, and a yellowish pickguard with the 8 screw holes. Upon closer notice (if the guy would even let you that close..he let me in...) you could see the other earmarks proving that it was the real deal.

Now, when someone plays something like this, you'd expect the heavens themselves to open up and for the presence of God almighty at such a show.

The guitarist was good...really good, but there was no divine message from God at this show.

Instead, something else happened....

The OTHER guitarist (who actually played bass at most of the shows) for the evening showed up with....an Epiphone Goldtop that he had purchased for 300 dollars. The input jack was loose. It was nicked, and scratched. It was also stock, with absolutely no modifications. Grinning, the second guitarist tuned it up, plugged it into a Fender Deluxe amp (which wasn't as nice as that strat guy's amp...) and the band started to play.

You know something? That Epi, stock as it was, kept up just fine with the strat. The 2 players were comparable in terms of playing ability. The strat guy had better control of his volume (but that's more of a single coil thing), but the other guy matched him just fine with a Morley pedal, and in certain parts of the show (when they were jamming Stevie Wonder's "Superstition") one upped the strat guy when he started manipulating an old school Dunlop Crybaby wah pedal.

Since that day, perhaps I did get a message...man, equipment isn't everything. Even stuff that sounds great to your ear, even stuff that is advertised as the bestest and greatest ever....

As long as the guitar stays in tune, does it really matter?

Now....back to this Special II. Let's say the Epi Classics still sound muddy, or just ugly with a 1 meg pot in this cheapest of guitars. Well, that would be a shame, since I would be out...

....6 dollars for a pot and 50 some odd cents on wasted solder. (OK...well, let's face it....I don't even think I could get a ticket to the local movies for that price.)

And you never know...I think it's worth it to gamble on the sound of this guitar for....6 dollars....and 50 some odd cents.

And, you just never know. Maybe one day I'll show up at a place, and there will be this guy with his 4000 dollar, custom, you shouldn't have taken it out of the case or breathed on it the wrong way guitar. He'll scoff at Rosemary's Baby while showing me a guitar that tunes itself, shines itself and will even wipe his butt for him when he hits "the sixth position" on his control switch.... And, I'll note the look of disdain upon his face for this little guitar...the look that says

"How DARE you show up here...with THAT? How DARE you even SHaRE the same musical space...as my precious, precious signature, super-expensive guitar that tunes itself and will wipe my bum on command?""...

And then we'll plug in. And even if between the two of us even if we notice a slight difference in tone...

Anyone listening will probably not notice too much.....

:-

Okay.

I think you should dump the tone pots.

Completely.

You want more, clearer high end, take out the pots and hard wire it in, it's like having the knob at 12.

That way you, can also put a volume for each pickup, so you could use it as a killswitch, and really mess with your sound overall.

Also, I think you should put the a little money into a custom pickguard, which could look SWEET.

But that's just an option.

And as for tuners, if the originals suck, go with locking tuners. Worth their weight in gold IMO.

One meg pots isn't a bad idea, at all.

And I like the pickups on the les paul custom, so this'll turn out nice.

Okay.

I think you should dump the tone pots.

Completely.

You want more' date=' clearer high end, take out the pots and hard wire it in, it's like having the knob at 12.

That way you, can also put a volume for each pickup, so you could use it as a killswitch, and really mess with your sound overall.

Also, I think you should put the a little money into a custom pickguard, which could look SWEET.

But that's just an option.

And as for tuners, if the originals suck, go with locking tuners. Worth their weight in gold IMO.

One meg pots isn't a bad idea, at all.

And I like the pickups on the les paul custom, so this'll turn out nice.[/quote']

I was actually toying with the idea of locking tuners on the Epi LP custom that I own....but yeah.....that's definitely a great investment for any guitar.

I also never thought about hardwiring it in. That's Option 2 if the 1 meg isn't cutting it. I also like the idea of getting rid of the tone pot and having 2 volume controls on this model.

Wow...thanks for the advice. Those are definitely some solid ideas for this experiment!

Hi The_Sentury, why not just "DO IT" for the hell of it if it works great, if it doesn't then like you said 6.50 is nothing. It's a project isn't it, then projects are to see if things works ........

The time taken is yours and if you enjoy doing projects great.

I'm changing a left handed bass to a right handed one done some mods, to the design (no it's not a Epi, it's a cheapy I got my son years ago) and a few other things, so far cost has not been that great, but i'm thinking of painting it Metalic Candy Apple Red which will cost me over $200 just for the paint, the guitar is only worth 100. It's a project, for ME.

So again give it a go...........

You'll enjoy the effort you put in to it, your story says it all.............

Cheers Ken.

I was actually toying with the idea of locking tuners on the Epi LP custom that I own....but yeah.....that's definitely a great investment for any guitar.

I also never thought about hardwiring it in. That's Option 2 if the 1 meg isn't cutting it. I also like the idea of getting rid of the tone pot and having 2 volume controls on this model.

Wow...thanks for the advice. Those are definitely some solid ideas for this experiment!

Well I was just reading up on the fact that you can wire a tele in 5 very different ways, despite having only two single coil pickups.

So I've been inspired.

Also I read about the frankenstrat. lol.

Well I say go with a 1 meg pot for one volume, it's actually a cool idea to go with a 500k in the neck, that way you get variety there, since the volume isn't very different, just the treble and clarity. (i'm pretty sure, but you'd wanna double check from other sources)

No prob! Tell me how it goes!

Hi The_Sentury' date=' why not just "DO IT" for the hell of it if it works great, if it doesn't then like you said 6.50 is nothing. It's a project isn't it, then projects are to see if things works ........

The time taken is yours and if you enjoy doing projects great.

I'm changing a left handed bass to a right handed one done some mods, to the design (no it's not a Epi, it's a cheapy I got my son years ago) and a few other things, so far cost has not been that great, but i'm thinking of painting it Metalic Candy Apple Red which will cost me over $200 just for the paint, the guitar is only worth 100. It's a project, for ME.

So again give it a go...........

You'll enjoy the effort you put in to it, your story says it all.............

Cheers Ken.[/quote']

Ken, thanks for the encouragement. I hope that bass turns out great! I'm sure it will...(A few months back I took a cheap rightie bass and converted it to leftie so I'd have something to record with....fun stuff.)

All that's holding me back? I'm supposed to be moving here shortly...don't know if I want to get this until I get moved. I'm really, really debating it. (I'm also strongly leaning towards ordering this directly from Epiphone and not musician's friend....if anyone can get me a vintage sunburst Special II in a left handed model...they can! And who knows? Maybe one of them...will feel the implication of the order...just as you said....the pure enjoyment of doing work like this..."

:-

Afternoon RotcanXTruss rods aren't extremely time intensive' date=' but it does require patience. (1/4 turn depending on if rod it too tight or too lose, and waiting 20-30 minutes to check it again.) [/quote']

Nahhhhhhhh... whoever told you that one is without a clue.

Nahhhhhhhh... whoever told you that one is without a clue.

Better safe than sorry on that. Besides, I am of the firm belief that the neck is an incredibly sensitive piece of wood...even changing the tuning of the strings....will reflect on that neck....(and it's why the manufacturer states as a recommendation to change strings 1 at a time...at least that's been my thoughts on it. It's not like the stop bar which is typically jacked all the way on most Epiphones is going anywhere with all of the strings off.)

Well I think you might wanna check out the thread called "Les paul special II with tremolo?" for some inspiration on some other suggestions.

I kinda pimped the idea of going with goth a floyd rose trem and a GFS roller TOM bridge, which, while it'd be alot of routing, I think would be worth it in the end, just a thought.

Then again, since you're a lefty, I'm not sure where to find a LH floyd rose...

And since you're going sunburst, the floyd may look outta place.

But it's inspiring conjecture at the least.

Well I think you might wanna check out the thread called "Les paul special II with tremolo?" for some inspiration on some other suggestions.

I kinda pimped the idea of going with goth a floyd rose trem and a GFS roller TOM bridge' date=' which, while it'd be alot of routing, I think would be worth it in the end, just a thought.

Then again, since you're a lefty, I'm not sure where to find a LH floyd rose...

And since you're going sunburst, the floyd may look outta place.

But it's inspiring conjecture at the least.[/quote']

Yeah...I saw that thread.

You might think this is odd....

But I actually prefer the TOM to a Floyd Rose, or even the traditional Fender strat setup.

For years I had a guitar with a Floyd. The one thing I couldn't stand about it (and this was beyond the additional maintenance issues...I had to pull it apart once to clean the rust out...took me a while...) was that I was taught to rest my hand on the bridge when alternate picking.

And, every time I did this on that guitar....well, the bridge would start to depress down (very sensitive) and it would sound like I was out of tune.

Once I made the decision to stop using a trem bar altogether? Life got a lot easier, and it forced me to alter my playing in terms of bending where I was using the Floyd sort of like a crutch. It's great for some folks, but I'm more of a solid, non-moving, as little parts as possible bridge kind of guy. (But...I still like the idea of locking tuners. That was a great call...in fact, I may end up getting those for my LP custom and dropping the grovers from that into this Special II!)

Other than the gold plated pickups which came with the LP custom...this thing's gonna look pretty stock. (But that's OK...I'm kinda likin' the vintage burst a lot...always wanted that color scheme on a guitar...)

Yeah...I saw that thread.

You might think this is odd....

But I actually prefer the TOM to a Floyd Rose' date=' or even the traditional Fender strat setup.

For years I had a guitar with a Floyd. The one thing I couldn't stand about it (and this was beyond the additional maintenance issues...I had to pull it apart once to clean the rust out...took me a while...) was that I was taught to rest my hand on the bridge when alternate picking.

And, every time I did this on that guitar....well, the bridge would start to depress down (very sensitive) and it would sound like I was out of tune.

Once I made the decision to stop using a trem bar altogether? Life got a lot easier, and it forced me to alter my playing in terms of bending where I was using the Floyd sort of like a crutch. It's great for some folks, but I'm more of a solid, non-moving, as little parts as possible bridge kind of guy. (But...I still like the idea of locking tuners. That was a great call...in fact, I may end up getting those for my LP custom and dropping the grovers from that into this Special II!)

Other than the gold plated pickups which came with the LP custom...this thing's gonna look pretty stock. (But that's OK...I'm kinda likin' the vintage burst a lot...always wanted that color scheme on a guitar...)

[/quote']

Ah, well I started with a wraparound bridge with really no resting room without palm muting or I can't reach the strings picking. The TOM was kinda wierd, and then a strat setup felt pretty darn great, plus I LOVE downbends.

But when I played a floyd, and actually pinched and then raised a harmonic to squeal, man, that was sweet.

I need to put a floyd in one of my guitars soon...

Well it sounds liek you've made up your mind and it's gonna be a sweet deal for you.

Thanks, locking tuners rock.

Good deal.

Well, I still can't wait to see how it turns out.

Still gonna hard-wire the tone?

That and dual volume were my two favorite parts of the wiring in this mod.

Ah' date=' well I started with a wraparound bridge with really no resting room without palm muting or I can't reach the strings picking. The TOM was kinda wierd, and then a strat setup felt pretty darn great, plus I LOVE downbends.

But when I played a floyd, and actually pinched and then raised a harmonic to squeal, man, that was sweet.

I need to put a floyd in one of my guitars soon...

Well it sounds liek you've made up your mind and it's gonna be a sweet deal for you.

Thanks, locking tuners rock.

Good deal.

Well, I still can't wait to see how it turns out.

Still gonna hard-wire the tone?

That and dual volume were my two favorite parts of the wiring in this mod.[/quote']

Right now I'm really leaning towards the 2 volume knobs vs. hardwiring. I don't even know how often I'd use the tone pot in something like this, but a volume knob (even if it's pretty temperamental with something like a 1 meg pot) always comes in handy....and I'd still like to be able to put the 2 pickups in phase which I always sort of thought as the "Jimmy Page sound"...

Oh, wait....](*,) (shame on me!)

Even though it's highly doubtful I'll even approach that tone with this guitar with the basswood body and mahogany neck. Hell, I can't even get that tone on my Epi LP...I suspect you need all the components for that magic tone....including the arch maple top, the mahogany slab, and the Marshall or a fascimile thereof. I am able to dial in that tone with my LP Studio...still though, it's a nice position to play in...and in the event I might play this thing clean with no distortion...might come in handy.

(Plus, this whole "volume with no tone pot" is sooo reminiscent of a guitar I used to own back in the 80's. Kramer Focus flipped upside down, with the single humbucker and the sole volume knob...digging it!)

=P~

Even though it's highly doubtful I'll even approach that tone with this guitar with the basswood body and mahogany neck. Hell' date=' I can't even get that tone on my Epi LP...I suspect you need all the components for that magic tone....including the arch maple top, the mahogany slab, and the Marshall or a fascimile thereof. [/quote']

Basswood? That's what they call the plywood on Specials these days? Wow. That's progress.

btw, try Gibson Burstbuckers or similar PAF copies for a true Les Paul tone. Without the essential components you're IMO just in the mud with the rest of the Epiphones. Just got BB I & II combo into my LPC and I'm just speechless, even without the thick maple cap on a real mahogany body. It's nearly a HNGD for me...

Archived