Gibson Brands Forums

Am I the only one?

Nutmegger1957

I guess I'm not entirely alone on this score, but just for the record, in spite of what some may consider inferior wood, or lack of personal attention to the build process, am I the only one who thinks that the EJ200/VS is every bit as good as the SJ200, just a heck of a lot less expensive, since it doesn't have "Gibson" on the Tuning Head?!

-Soupy1957

I guess I'm not entirely alone on this score' date=' but just for the record, in spite of what some may consider inferior wood, or lack of personal attention to the build process, am I the only one who thinks that the EJ200/VS is every bit as good as the SJ200, just a heck of a lot less expensive, since it doesn't have "Gibson" on the Tuning Head?!

-Soupy1957[/quote']

As the owner of an SJ-200 I'd have to say yeah, you're the only one thinking along those lines. Bit more difference than just the name on the headstock and a plywood box doesn't do real well against solid Sitka and solid flame maple in the tone department but you're still entitled to engage in whatever fantasies you wish. Two very different guitars from two extreme ends of the marketing spectrum that happen to share a vague resemblance. Not reasonable or even possible to attempt a comparison on any level.

I guess I'm not entirely alone on this score' date=' but just for the record, in spite of what some may consider inferior wood, or lack of personal attention to the build process, am I the only one who thinks that the EJ200/VS is every bit as good as the SJ200, just a heck of a lot less expensive, since it doesn't have "Gibson" on the Tuning Head?!

-Soupy1957[/quote']

i was not at all impressed with the ej200 .. it sounded dull ..althought it is a beautiful guitar .. the laminate body and top just doesnt cut it .. i would buy it just to have as decoration but not as my main squeeze .. lolz but if you like it good for you .. *high five*

Looks nice and for an all plywood guitar sounds nice, but it is not an SJ.

That is not a bad thing if you like it. I own a Gibson J160e and it is not a nice sounding acoustic at all. But it is the Beatles guitar and it has that distinct sound. If it were not for the Beatles using them the Gibson J160e would be one of Gibsons biggest jokes. Not good as an acoustic and not good as an electric. It does neither well. I Feel Fine and And I Love Her are great songs and tones so if you want that tone.....

So no your guitar can't compare to a Gibson SJ but if you like it enjoy it, who cares what others think.

I still own an 80s plywood MIK Harmony Sovereign though I have Gibsons and several nice others, but I still end up using it for recording acoustic rhythm tracks now and then because it sits in some mixes better than my thousand dollar acoustics do.

When playing live I do want a certain look to my gear, but when recording I don't care what I play as long as I can get the right sound.

Believe me....I fully understand that there is more value in the materials used on the SJ200, like a solid top -vs- a two piece.....but it's not fair to call the EJ200 "plywood." (Just ain't so).

As for the sound, I found it to be throaty and bold.

I "get it" when it comes to the "value" but for the bucks involved, it's fine. Having bought instruments that were thousands of dollars, I found it to be a great competitor, for the money.

Marlin Firearms made a Glenfield, that was a knock-off of its own line. Admittedly they used a spruce butt on the gun, instead of Walnut, and painted it to look like Walnut, so I "get" the idea of shortcuts.

On the other side of the coin, since Gibson owns Epiphone, I have to believe that some of the manufacturing processes, their QC oversight, and so forth, are filtered into the Epiphone process, and making a difference in how the product goes out the door.

-Soupy1957

i believe there are much better acoustics out there for $350 than the ej200 .. such as a seagull s6 or a yamaha fg730s .. or a takamine gs330s .. but im happy that you enjoy your epiphone =D .. *pats on back*

honestly i was close to buying one from reading reviews online .. but when i got to the store and tried it i did not like it

Believe me....I fully understand that there is more value in the materials used on the SJ200' date=' like a solid top -vs- a two piece.....but it's not fair to call the EJ200 "plywood." (Just ain't so).

As for the sound, I found it to be throaty and bold.

I "get it" when it comes to the "value" but for the bucks involved, it's fine. Having bought instruments that were thousands of dollars, I found it to be a great competitor, for the money.

Marlin Firearms made a Glenfield, that was a knock-off of its own line. Admittedly they used a spruce butt on the gun, instead of Walnut, and painted it to look like Walnut, so I "get" the idea of shortcuts.

On the other side of the coin, since Gibson owns Epiphone, I have to believe that some of the manufacturing processes, their QC oversight, and so forth, are filtered into the Epiphone process, and making a difference in how the product goes out the door.

-Soupy1957[/quote']

At the end of the day Nutmegger, if you think it's a better, or as good a guitar as the SJ, that's all that is important. Even if you think the SJ is a might better.. is it worth the extra coin spent? You and your pocketbook are the only judge.

Congrats on finding the right guitar.

• 3 weeks later...

I played 2 EJ200's last night at a local GC. One was a VS and played and sounded very well. The other was a natural that was at best mediocre. I couldn't get over the big difference between 2 of the same model guitars. Do these have laminated or solid tops?

I played 2 EJ200's last night at a local GC. One was a VS and played and sounded very well. The other was a natural that was at best mediocre. I couldn't get over the big difference between 2 of the same model guitars. Do these have laminated or solid tops?

The EJs are all laminate.

I played 2 AJ200s, solid tops, at GC Sunday one from China and one from Indonesia and the China one was great. Not an AJ45 but a really, really nice $200 guitar. The Indonesia one very heavy poly finish and sounded like plywood. Same guitar same model same burst finish but light years apart in tone.

I have done the electrics through mail order, my G400, but would never buy an acoustic on line have to play them all and see, they all differ too much.

am I the only one who thinks that the EJ200/VS is every bit as good as the SJ200' date=' just a heck of a lot less expensive, since it doesn't have "Gibson" on the Tuning Head?![/quote']

I don't think you're the only one. However, if you A/B the two models, you'll find that the Epi lacks lots of tonal depth when compared to the Gibby. That said, as long as you enjoy your Epi, all is good.

I do think the Epi J200 is alot of guitar for the bucks. I have played a bunch of them but would not say they have that old school Gibson tone.

I have played a 1960 Gibson J200 for alot of years and will tell ya there just ain't no comparison. The Gibby is characterized by a booming and resonant bass, aggressive mids and fat highs. They are cannons - projection is unblievable. Not what you would call bright guitar or describe as having alot of upper end sparkle. A good Gibby J200 is not the first guitar you would grab for delicate fingerpicking or flat picked bluegrass. But they (as most Gibsons) are the best strumers on the planet and will do justice to any Son House tune.

I find the Epis to be a well balanced and versatile guitar. And they will get you in the ballpark of the J200 sound. And as you said, the Epi will do it for alot less scratch than a current Gibson version.

Hi zombiwoof hope I spelled that right well first of all I to own the EJ200 had for about a year before I burnt out on it bought it from musicians friend I believe it was back in 2003 I was disapointed with it from the get go seemed much harder to play than the Gibson,this was by reason of two plastic shims put under the bridge of the guitar it actually hurt my fingers to play it as it was and I shelved it until one afternoon when I decided one way or the other I was going to lower the action on it,by using a cabinet scraper to gradually crape small amounts of the bottom of the bridge off.

As luck would have it I didn't have to do this I just removed one of the shims and wala!

On the other hand if you want to put a lead to you accoustic guitar playing this is not the guitar for that or at least not this particular instrument they look nice and as far as rhythm playing and and just finger picking it,well the tone is not that bad but there's something missing there.

Archived