Gibson Brands Forums

Which Guitar (or GuitarS) should Epiphone discontinue?

charlie brown

We've talked about models we'd like to see revived...

How about which ones, in everyones (probably differing) humble opinion,

(New or Older current model) Epiphone guitar, should they discontinue,

and...why? Style, Price, Features (or lack thereof)...or

just a "What were they thinkin'...flat out mistake?"

CB

G-310. The price on the G-400 has dropped so low as to make the 310 redundant. Then, while they're at it, drop the 'G-400' name and call a spade a spade, i.e. call it an SG Standard. Then introduce a Special version with two P-90s and a dot neck which would sell for the same price as the Standard. And add the fricking binding to the neck.

There's a fantastic opportunity coming up in 2011 for Epiphone to upgrade the G-400s... it wil be the 50th anniversary of the SG. If I were in charge, I'd offer a Limited Edition 50th anniversary Epiphone SG Standard with all the proper features (bound fingerboard, correct scarfing, correct right-angle switch and placement of electronics, correct size and shape cavity cover, correct body thickness), made out of solid African mahogany with nickel hardware... for around $600 retail. The LE would also have the open book headstock. Then, in 2012, go back to the mystery mahogany and the standard price but keep the updates.

I don't like any of the Epiphones with a strange pattern painted on them, and I hate the pink Elitist. I understand that they would appeal to someone with a need to be noticed, but let that person paint his own guitar pink or, better yet, let him buy a Daisy Rock guitar instead.

306878.jpg

And let's cut down on the redundancy in the Les Paul line. Offering one or two Les Pauls in a variety of different finishes makes more sense that completely different models. Unless, of course, you just like to collect Les Pauls.

Well, yeah, drop the LP-100, but other than that, having a Studio (low budget) a Standard (the workhorse) a '56 GT (P-90s) and a Custom (bling bling) makes sense. Even the Black Bowtie has its place. Trust me, Epiphone is going strictly by the numbers on this... otherwise we'd still have glitter LPs, 12-string LPs, 7-string LPs, the Signature LP... all duds that were dropped years ago.

Yikes!!! Where can I start???? Ax the G-310, the Futura, and the EM's!!! Yuck!! And lets exchange the Twisted Sister Elitist with the Standard Plaintop!!! That to me was hands down the best Elitist!!!

G-310. The price on the G-400 has dropped so low as to make the 310 redundant. Then' date=' while they're at it, drop the 'G-400' [i']name and call a spade a spade, i.e. call it an SG Standard. Then introduce a Special version with two P-90s. And add the fricking binding to the neck.

There's a fantastic opportunity coming up in 2011 for Epiphone to upgrade the G-400s... it wil be the 50th anniversary of the SG. If I were in charge, I'd offer a Limited Edition 50th anniversary Epiphone SG Standard with all the proper features (bound fingerboard, correct scarfing, correct right-angle switch and placement of electronics, correct size and shape cavity cover, correct body thickness), made out of solid African mahogany with nickel hardware... for around $600 retail. The LE would also have the open book headstock. Then, in 2012, go back to the mystery mahogany and the standard price but keep the updates.

Great idea hope they do.

I'm not really sure where to start,

Lp-100, G-310, Zak Wylde, Twisted Sister, Emily the Strange, for all that that matters, all the signatures should propably go. But they will, most companies sell initial numbers of these type of guitars when produced and then drop them when the sales begin to dive, we wait very lonh, they will all be gone !

You can't really blame them for attempting to reach new customers but I don't really see many of the folks that buy these types of guitars to be the "brand loyal" type, IMHO anyway!

and the EM's!!! Yuck!!

You, sir, just made me cry. Actually, the new EMs look ugly. The 90's models were sweet.

Add the "pirates" SG to that list too...or any other guitar with inane factory graphics on them. I think I would be plain embarassed to play something like that...at home, even...by myself.

Oh' date=' I also forgot the SG special.

It's too crappy to bear the epi name IMO.[/quote']

Well, the Specials make good entry-level guitars for beginners, so they should keep them in the lineup.

And don't knock the EM-1. For the price, it's hard to beat.

Well' date=' the Specials make good entry-level guitars for beginners, so they should keep them in the lineup.

And don't knock the EM-1. For the price, it's hard to beat.[/quote']

Well, if we HAD the set neck junior '57 and a similar set neck solid mahogany SG, we wouldn't need it.

But yeah, I guess it's the SG's les paul special II.

I don't know man....

Seriously, I don't.

I DO think, though...that they should set up more of their guitars like the LP-100.....for reasons I don't really want to get into.

If it's cheap...fine...just give the poor jack a chance to replace certain things if they go bad....

that's fair, isn't it?

Well, they should settle on one lowball model for each style. Either the LP Special II or the LP-100; either the SG Special or the G-310. Personally, IMO, they should keep the Specials and dump the others; if somebody wants something better than the Specials they should go straight to the Studio or G-400. The G-310 is so marginally better than the Special (two more knobs, a pickguard)... I don't see the point. It kinda made sense when G-400s were going for over $400 but now... I mean, you have the cheap POC (the Special) and then you have the somewhat more expensive and much better G-400. The G-310 is really nothing but a more expensive POC... in other words the worst of both worlds. Anyway, judging by the way MF was dumping G-310s and LP-100s I'm betting that Epiphone has already reached the same conclusion.

One thing they should do though is upgrade the tuners on the Specials. They are god awful.

The set neck Juniors are $300. Too expensive for a beginner. No' date=' the Specials at $170 are very important for the young newbie player. Just make sure to hide the turd polish. =P~ [/quote']

They actually were 250 when they were selling new, I think.

And factors like the P-100's lower production levels than humbuckers, limited edition pricing, "reissue" status, were price upcharges, as well.

I think they could get it down to 200, maybe less with different wood choices, but that would cut into the point somewhat.

And below those are the current juniors, at 120.

Archived