Gibson Brands Forums

Is this Epi Crestwood worth anything?

JayGLongBeach

Hi JG...Can't tell for sure, but it looks to be a (Japanese) bolt on neck version...???

That's not necessarily bad (Fender's and all that), but I don't

think it has much value, beyond maybe a decent player? The

original Kalamazoo set neck versions would have some value,

beyond playability. But that one, doesn't appear to be that old...

'80's maybe? Might be fun for "mod" work or "Slide?"

CB

Or is it junk???

Price tells me junk...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/msg/725874210.html

I wouldn't pay $300 for it...$200..maybe.. more like $175. I don't know what's up with that red pickguard. I think they were originally white. Those Japanese versions from the mid 70's were kind of a cross between the 60's Crestwoods and Coronets. I had a mid 60's Crestwood Custom and of all the guitars that have passed through my hands' date=' that's probably one of the only ones I really wish I could have back. Some of that could be nostalgia because I don't recall being all that enchanted with it when I had it. Seems at the time I think I really wanted an SG but finances dictated something cheaper.. even though I over-paid for the Crestwood (I think it was like $225 or something like that back in 1969) and then traded it in on a Riviera which I also over-paid for. I know there's considerable difference from the Kalamazoo models with these Japanese versions but I still wouldn't mind one at the right price just to mod and fool around with. The problem is this self-perpetuating myth now that [i']every[/i] Japanese guitar back in the 70's were these great instruments and that wasn't the case. Most were the crap that established the perception of made in Japan as being crap. There were maybe a dozen very specific Japanese-made guitars from back then that were exceptional and the rest were made cheaply to be sold cheap...these Epiphone solid bodies from back then fell somewhere in the middle of all that...

...The problem is this self-perpetuating myth now that every Japanese guitar back in the 70's were these great instruments and that wasn't the case. Most were the crap that established the perception of made in Japan as being crap. There were maybe a dozen very specific Japanese-made guitars from back then that were exceptional and the rest were made cheaply to be sold cheap...these Epiphone solid bodies from back then fell somewhere in the middle of all that...

By the way Uncle Al, you were dead on with the 70'ish Riviera with the bolt-on neck...

Should have listened... i'm getting more mileage from my Chinese Dot...

Jay

Archived