Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Sheraton II, Temperamental Input Jack, Help?

roydestroy

I have an Epiphone Sheraton II, probably about 2004, plays fine, but at a gig last night, the guitar was extremely quiet, and only made a sound when I stomped on my Big Muff, but it only gave me a loud clean sound.

I've looked at it this morning, and it works if i lift it the lead a millimetre or two out from the input, but if it is all the way in, theres no sound.

Now seeing as there is no back panel to access the jack, any help or advice would be great.

Cheers!

I have an Epiphone Sheraton II' date=' probably about 2004, plays fine, but at a gig last night, the guitar was extremely quiet, and only made a sound when I stomped on my Big Muff, but it only gave me a loud clean sound.

I've looked at it this morning, and it works if i lift it the lead a millimetre or two out from the input, but if it is all the way in, theres no sound.

Now seeing as there is no back panel to access the jack, any help or advice would be great.

Cheers![/quote']

Replace the cheap asian output jack imitation with a genuine Switchcraft jack.

02_02_0.jpg

You should be able to use a loop of wire to pull it out through the closest f-hole,

solder the new one in and using that same loop of wire, feed it through the

hole first and then into the jack. Make a collapseable loop that will allow

you to pull it through the hole and fasten the nut on it. There is also

a wrench available to keep it from turn while you tighten the nut, but

I've never had the need to use one.

The metal is better, the spring tension is stronger and you shouldn't have

any problems with it again. Same with the 3 way. I'm using genuine

Gibson oem 3 ways...not only are they made a lot better, but they come

with the deep knurled nut. These are the two areas that will (sooner or

later ) give you intermittent problems.

another thing you can try first is to loop something around the long piece and bend it a bit.

saves having to fish the whole jack out and risk screwing up something else as you do.

you can use a bit of elmers glue on the threads, or lock tite if you have some or know a mechanic who does, it's kinda pricey.

I've used plumbers white tape, mostly for leaks, to make sure the thing wont turn after the nut is on, and often that does it for that problem.

replacement is better, but pretty involved with all that fishin!

another thing you can try first is to loop something around the long piece and bend it a bit.

saves having to fish the whole jack out and risk screwing up something else as you do.

you can use a bit of elmers glue on the threads' date=' or lock tite if you have some or know a mechanic who does, it's kinda pricey.

I've used plumbers white tape, mostly for leaks, to make sure the thing wont turn after the nut is on, and often that does it for that problem.

replacement is better, but pretty involved with all that fishin!

[/quote']

I've gotta agree with Twang here, if you don't have experience doing this type of fishing, you might want to have someone experienced do it for you unless you are pretty confident in your ability and above all, patient !

Archived