Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Center and alcohol would be a bad combination

JefferySmith

I just set foot in our local Guitar Center (in the 'burbs). I was expecting something 1/4 its size. I'm glad that I was sober and didn't have my credit card with me. I would have walked out with a worn cherry Epiphone Dot. The one I was looking at was MUCH better looking than the MF photo here.

474966.jpg

It was about 10 shades darker red than this.

If I had $1,000 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd have walked out the door with that Dot, an SG 400, and a Les Paul. Scary.

The only Guitar Center I walked into had weekend guitar heroes trying to crank up amps and impress with their hot playing. The staff kept telling them to turn it down. I wasn't impressed with the playing and didn't stick around very long.

I enjoy the local Portland Music Company store though, as they only sell acoustic guitars and it is a sane environment.

Yeah' date=' can you imagine WORKING, in a "Guitar Center?!" I'd be "Starker's" (as in raving mad) in one day! ;>p

CB[/quote']

Actually "starkers" means naked. Try "Radio Rental" instead! It's rhyming slang for mental, as in crazy (musn't say "mad" coz that means angry to you).

I went in one earlier' date=' and played a nice honeyburst Les Paul Standard Plus. That had to be one of the best Epi Les Pauls I've ever played. If I had some money, I probably would've bought it.[/quote']

FloyDZed, Yeh, I did that a couple of times over the past year and it drove me nuts. It's like making out with a

fine babe only to go home with a case of blueballs. Painful](*,) . I also call it the same idea that Charlie Brown

mentioned, except I just say, "Like a kid going into a candy store." If you're not going to buy, it's almost best

to stay away. At least if you're buying something else and have a reason to be there, it may be easy to fall

into temptation =P~ . "I'll just look or maybe play one a little and..." Oh nooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

I stopped by one of our local guitar centers a couple of months ago and started looking at some Epiphone

Les Pauls. I walked out with one (Epiphone Les Paul Standard VS) only because I convinced myself it was

okay because I would be getting my Economic Stimulus check from Uncle Sam in May. So I put it on my

credit card.:-k Well I found out I wasn't getting that until June.#-o . Luckily my Federal income tax return was

sitting in my Savings Account (I was going to use that for vacationing with my daughter this Summer). So I

had to borrow some of that and then pay myself back once I finally received my ES check last week.:-

Now I don't feel so bad anymore and I have that second Epi I've been lusting (GASing) for such a long time...

2 years.

Guy's know what your saying, when I go into a shop to get strings or even just to look I keep my hands folded and DO not accept one of the salseman (whom I all know well) saying "Ken just give it a go!!, it's a great guitar, you'll like it " cause I know what I'm like =P~

The guitat shop I frequent here in OZ is great, but don't they get some wacko's especially some young kids who are out to impress the salesman or even some older folk (like me) on their "Slashing" of a guitar, cranking the amps up and picking the most expensive guitar on display.

On the other hand I've seen some young one who I've just stood and watched with envoy, good guitar players.

Big kids in big candy stores.................

If I evey won lotto BOY what a studio I'd have.........

Oh well back to reality

Catchya'slayta

ken

Tomorrow I'll probably hand my wallet, with cash and cards, over to my friend, with strict instructions.

Though I did play a Hummingbird today that I really liked... though I may suggest it to her, rather than buy it for myself.

She's new to the guitar game. She wants a Gibson, because one of her friends inherited one and she's seen mine. We'll wait until tomorrow when she sees the pricetag.

FloyDZed' date=' Yeh, I did that a couple of times over the past year and it drove me nuts. It's like making out with a

fine babe only to go home with a case of blueballs. Painful'](*,) . I also call it the same idea that Charlie Brown

mentioned, except I just say, "Like a kid going into a candy store." If you're not going to buy, it's almost best

to stay away. At least if you're buying something else and have a reason to be there, it may be easy to fall

into temptation =P~ . "I'll just look or maybe play one a little and..." Oh nooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

I stopped by one of our local guitar centers a couple of months ago and started looking at some Epiphone

Les Pauls. I walked out with one (Epiphone Les Paul Standard VS) only because I convinced myself it was

okay because I would be getting my Economic Stimulus check from Uncle Sam in May. So I put it on my

credit card.:-k Well I found out I wasn't getting that until June.#-o . Luckily my Federal income tax return was

sitting in my Savings Account (I was going to use that for vacationing with my daughter this Summer). So I

had to borrow some of that and then pay myself back once I finally received my ES check last week.=P~

Now I don't feel so bad anymore and I have that second Epi I've been lusting (GASing) for such a long time...

2 years.

Well, that's two of Uncle Sam's stimulus checks that went to buying Epiphones. When will the rest of the United States catch on?

Luckily, I don't drink, at least not in the last 30 years. Even so i have to know what I need, go right for it and not hang out, which generally isn't too hard due to the endless multiple teenage wannabe shredders at ridiculous volumes. I usually have to hide in the isolated acoustic room !

- I don't know about you but I play much better when I've had a few.

Happens to the best of us' date=' eh?

I think it's what's commonly known as The Smokier You Drink The Player You Get syndrome (thanks to Joe W.).

BTW Ron -- missing your prior avatar here - that street vendor looks like a genuine blues player to me.

--- and Jeffrey: wasn't that you with a "newborn" elitist post and a collection of 35 already? GREAT SCOTT man!

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

You know....I like the fact that every Guitar Center has a Southpaw's Corner...but at the same time?

It's rare any of the guitars have been set up. Unless I'm mistaken, they just pull 'em out of the crates and hang 'em on the wall.

And, I'm beginning to realize that with some rare exceptions....Guitar Centers are quickly becoming the ONLY chain (or just flat-out music store) where you can test out either a Gibson...or an Epiphone in the USA.

(Still remembers Mom and Pop store losing their distribution deal where I live...)

If I evey won lotto BOY what a studio I'd have.........

ken

I put myself to sleep some nights with that dream, Ken. Great big sound-proofed studios and all my friends coming round and jamming day and night, and cutting CDs. All free 'cause I won Lotto.

Music heaven ... (well, could be hell too: guess careful selection would have to go into who were my friends and who were not!).

Ron ...

Actually "starkers" means naked. Try "Radio Rental" instead! It's rhyming slang for mental' date=' as in crazy (musn't say "mad" coz that means angry to you).

[/quote']

Yeah, Billybob...I knew that ;>)...that's why I clarified it...but we used to say "Starkers" here, as short for

"Stark Raving Mad!" I think what you're referring to, came from England?! Not sure... Maybe I should have

said "Bonkers?!" Ha!

At any rate...every time (or almost) I go into GC...I come out swearing I will never go there,

again...just for that "noise level" reason. LOL!

CB

Luckily' date=' I don't drink, at least not in the last 30 years. Even so i have to know what I need, go right for it and not hang out, which generally isn't too hard due to the endless multiple teenage wannabe shredders at ridiculous volumes. I usually have to hide in the isolated acoustic room ![/quote']

Yup I head for the acoustic room too if there are wankers on marshall's in the main room.......to be fair wankers come in all age groups....it ain't just the teenagers.

I don't drink anymore either, but if I spend more than 20 minutes in a GC, it makes me want to...

Yeah I can relate to that too! GC is the McDonalds of music stores anyway......the employee's have about the same qualifications in both places.

You know....I like the fact that every Guitar Center has a Southpaw's Corner...but at the same time?

It's rare any of the guitars have been set up. Unless I'm mistaken' date=' they just pull 'em out of the crates and hang 'em on the wall.

And, I'm beginning to realize that with some rare exceptions....Guitar Centers are quickly becoming the ONLY chain (or just flat-out music store) where you can test out either a Gibson...or an Epiphone in the USA.

(Still remembers Mom and Pop store losing their distribution deal where I live...)[/quote']

One dealer told me that he never sets up a guitar until someone buys it. They all want something different and he just has to do it twice. I would at least do a bridge adjustment out of the box and tweak the truss rod if needed. After all, there are lull periods where somebody has time to play. It would be a good excuse to sit down and try out a few guitars and play with them in the name of adjustment.

LOL, I know what you mean! That's what makes Musicians Friend, Sweetwater et.al. all the more dangerous! You can order from the comfort of your own armchair! The saving grace for me is that the prices at the aforementioned online vendors is ridiculous. My local guys prices are far better for example my Elitist Sheraton was $1199 compared to MF's 1600. My Gibson R6 was 2400 while MF lists it for 3499... Not only that but the guitars are in much better shape than the ones I've come across at the Guitar Centers. If the floor model has some marks they almost always have a spare boxed up in storage too! Thank you Alto!

Svet

Happens to the best of us' date=' eh?

I think it's what's commonly known as The Smokier You Drink The Player You Get syndrome (thanks to Joe W.).

BTW Ron -- missing your prior avatar here - that street vendor looks like a genuine blues player to me.

--- and Jeffrey: wasn't that you with a "newborn" elitist post and a collection of 35 already? GREAT SCOTT man!

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

That's the awful part. I just had a HNGD the day before. I think holidays are supposed to happen once a year, not every day!

Archived