Gibson Brands Forums

Is there a way to make the pots more responsive?

The_Sentry

I know this is going to be the achilles' heel of any humbucker guitar vs. a single coil....but I am curious.

On my guitar with the single coil, I can set the volume at 2-3, and the tone knob at that level becomes incredibly responsive. (in fact, you can almost manipulate it to sound like a wah pedal on one of my guitars.)

Has anyone tried anything that makes the pots (specifically, the tone pots) on a humbucking guitar more responsive?

chances are, your lefty guitar has standard righty pots reverse-wired...the intention is to mirror the controls on

righty guitars, but the effect is basically treble or treble cut with no mid-ground...common problem and discussed in

detail on the FDP, including input from cars guitarist elliot easton...

the only guitar I have that works properly is the gibson, which has the pots wired as they would be on a righty...

chances are' date=' your lefty guitar has standard righty pots reverse-wired...the intention is to mirror the controls on

righty guitars, but the effect is basically treble or treble cut with no mid-ground...common problem and discussed in

detail on the FDP, including input from cars guitarist elliot easton...

the only guitar I have that works properly is the gibson, which has the pots wired as they would be on a righty...[/quote']

That's what I kind of figured. I don't mind working with reversed pots.....but even with the Gibsons...you just don't have as much control.

I was wondering if the caps came into play, or if going with a slightly different pot (vs. 500k) would make a difference...

What you need is reverse-taper pots. These will give you the same responsiveness you'd get on a right-handed guitar. Or else just reverse the wiring on them so that they work properly in a clockwise rotation.

Oooh...thanks for the tip!

Do you have any cap recommendations?

"What you need is reverse-taper pots. These will give you the same responsiveness you'd get on a right-handed guitar. Or else just reverse the wiring on them so that they work properly in a clockwise rotation."

yes, that was my point...some day I will fix the epiphones and the fender to work correctly like the gibson

Archived