Gibson Brands Forums

Coil tapping and wiring questions?

mrjones200x

Hi, i wanna split my quad rail as an alternative. I wanna split it so i use it as a single coil. Is this possible? The wires on my quad rail are RED, BLACK (think this is earth as was tied to the cable screening) GREEN and WHITE.

Also how do you know what pins do what on the push/pull pot? looks like all the push/pulls ive seen before. my circuit is simple;

1 Pickup

1 Volume with push/pull

Want to have full hum and able to split and use as a single coil too. Any help would be great. Bear in mind i know nowt about electrics :-

Thanks in advance

Just off to feed baby for few mins

This is a schematic for a Seymour Duncan humbucker. With SDs black is "hot". But since that is "ground" with the quadrail, I suspect the red wire is the "hot". The green and white are tied together right?

1hum_1vol_split.jpg

I take it my colours might mean diff things as its a diff make?

The green and white were wound together and also there is evidence they were the ones wired on the push/pull part? My screen and black were wound round each other to. I Have no white wire either lol!

The green and white were wound together and also there is evidence they were the ones wired on the push/pull part? My screen and black were wound round each other to. I Have no white wire either lol!

All you have to do is take the two wires that are wound together (green & white in your case) and ground them to make it single coil. So what you do is attach it to the push/pull switch along with a ground wire. Here's how:

The switch is probably a DPDT, which has 2 rows of lugs with 3 lugs in each row. The second row would be for a 2nd pickup. You can use either row. Attach a wire to the center lug from any ground source like the back of a pot. Attach the joined green & white wire to either of the lugs in that row. Don't attach anything to the 3rd lug.

In one position, the ground wire will connect to the vacant lug, and nothing happens - you're pickup will work as normal. In the other position, the ground wire will connect to the green & white wires and that will shut off one coil. That's all there is to it, almost. If the switch works backwards to the way you prefer, just move the green & white wires to the other lug.

Archived