Gibson Brands Forums

What amplifier would sound nice with a Gibson Les paul standard?

jeremyz1994

Im buying a gibson les paul standard in heritage cherry sunburst.

I need a versatile tube amp. Not too heavy but powerfull enough for a small gig.

I play all styles of music but mostly all rock, jazz and blues, country.

P.S: the amp must have a good clean sound for nailing the jazz sounds.

I was looking at a Laney lionheart LT-5, or something else for around $1000- 2000 AUS

Welcome Jeremy...

Thats a very broad question.

One thing I think that most...I said most, people will agree upon is that LP's sound

their very best through a tube/valve amp.

Laney makes a nice amp. I have never played through one but I have heard them.

The tried and trued formulas are the old stand bys...Marshall, Fender, Orange, Vox...The heavy rockers

use Krank amps which are great if you like that saturated to the max sound.

Go give a few a whirl, You have a Gibson so you have the best starting point a guitarist could hope for.

Good luck mate!

You want Jazz tones? You can get a Roland Jazz Chorus JC120... one of the best amps for jazz, and low manteniance: solid state. Look it up on youtube, plenty of reviews there.

If you want good cleans you can go with that one (lame distortion) or if you want great cleans with tubes, you can go with a VOX AC30 (or any of its copies: badcat, dr z, matchles, all of them make an ac30 knockoff, which to some is better).

The other logical option is a fender hot rod: deville or deluxe, I think you can have a 1x10,1x12, 2x10, 2x12, and even 4x10 configurartion for the hot rod, but beware, fender uses pots that will give you the highest volume at 3 or 4... so dont believe the salesman if he says "look how high it goes and its just at 3! imagine cranking it at 10!"... those amps dont get cranked hehehe, and you wont notice a difference past 4.

Being in australia i guess your options (brand wise) are somehow limited (they are here, just 4 brands to choose from...) so, to what brands do you have acces to?

There is no amp that does all sounds for all styles well however you can find some good compromises. If I were looking for ONE setup to cover as many bases as possible, it'd be a Fender amp with a good overdrive pedal for dirty tones; I love the Analogman King of Tone overdrive so much I bought two - one to use with my main amp with my band and keep a second one at girlfriend's place along with a Fender Champ amp. For the amp, I'd look at a Fender Deluxe reissue or Bassman (Bassman will be heavier though).

2x12' date=' and even 4x10 configuration for the hot rod, and you wont notice a difference past 4. [/quote']

Agreed 100%.

Get the 4x10. Can't beat it for the price.

I know several guys that have 'em and makes me wish I had spent the extra $30 when I bought my 2x12.

And I leave my volume and master both on 4.

Just enough growl, and any higher just makes it get more thin and shrill.

Gives you great dynamic control from the guitar using the volume and tone for adjustments on the fly.

THREE channels - the famous Fender clean, Drive, and More Drive that I seldom use.

I have absolutely no pedals.

I also have its little brother, the Blues Junior. 15 watts thru a single 12. Same amp for the most part.

Oh, and an old Marshall JCM 800 stack.

I don't have to tell you how THAT sounds......

:-)

Laney makes good stuff overall, might be a good choice Down Under. I have no idea what yor market is like.

With a weak dollar, I would hope American products would start to drop in price.

Marshall' date=' as long as it aint those MG amps, other than that...Marshall.[/quote']

Bingo.

If you're gonna buy a Marshall, get a MARSHALL, and that means tubes.

Their solid state stuff is just generic solid state stuff with an expensive nameplate.

Buy Peavey if you want good amps at a cheap price.

Whats your opinions on Peavey Valvekings?

good for metal' date=' (very good for metal), and very cheap compared to other tube amps for metal.

But the clean tones are weak (very)... I own the head version and have it plugged to an OAG 4x12 cab, and i have to say, I like my AC30 with a boss Metal Zone in front... hell I even like my cheapo peavey solid state head--->boss metal zone better hehehe... and the solid states clean is better (the solid state heads' distortion channel sucks big time, but hey, you can get that head for less than $100 on evil-bay).

[b']

EDIT: it is a good amp (for metal), im just too picky with amps and with tone, specially when playing heavy metal, and Im to biased towards my AC30 right now as it is the latest amp i have bought.[/b] At its current price you get a lot of gain, peavey reliability for very little money.

But for the money it is a very good amp, peavy makes very reliable stuff... and have good quality.

I need good cleans and very good distortion (distortion more...) What brand should I look into? Nothing over $1,500 or 50Watts....I dont gig and not in a band +:-@

Is the AC30 a Tube or as good? I was gonna go with a AD30 before...

EDIT: What AC30 have you got? The CC1 or the CC2? Or even the CC2X?

Hey, Marshall Dudes! Anyone notice this part about the original post?

the amp must have a good clean sound for nailing the jazz sounds.

Marshalls are great rock amps but for jazz...? Yeah' date=' you [i']can[/i] play a Marshall clean but it's not a good clean for jazz. A Marshall of any type I can think of isn't going to be what this guy is going to like.

Hey' date=' Marshall Dudes! Anyone notice this part about the original post?

Marshalls are great rock amps but for jazz...? Yeah, you [i']can[/i] play a Marshall clean but it's not a good clean for jazz. A Marshall of any type I can think of isn't going to be what this guy is going to like.

I dunno, mine sounds pretty good clean, I can't speak for others, and don't know a thing about jazz, except how to listen to it, but it seems to me if you back off on the tone pots on the guitar, that'd be pretty jazzed out...wouldn't it? Them jazz guys use Fender amps don't they?

I dunno' date=' mine sounds pretty good clean, I can't speak for others, and don't know a thing about jazz, except how to listen to it, but it seems to me if you back off on the tone pots on the guitar, that'd be pretty jazzed out...wouldn't it? Them jazz guys use Fender amps don't they?[/quote']

Well, that's what I mean. Yes, you can get a clean sound out of a Marshall, but they lack that snappy high end that Fender amps have which works nicely when you roll down the tone pot on your guitar. Jazz tones do tend to initially sound more muted but, if you listen more closely, you'll also notice that there's also a plucky-sounding, sort of "hollow" dynamic going on and it depends upon a bright amp to achieve.

Just like there's good and not-so-good rock sounds, they same holds true with jazz tones and Marshalls don't do jazz very well. But, they're MUCH better suited for crunchy rock tones than a Fender, IMO. Use the right tool for the job.

I need good cleans and very good distortion (distortion more...) What brand should I look into? Nothing over $1' date='500 or 50Watts....I dont gig and not in a band :^o

Is the AC30 a Tube or as good? I was gonna go with a AD30 before...

EDIT: What AC30 have you got? The CC1 or the CC2? Or even the CC2X?[/quote']

I have the AC30 cc2x (2x12) and the cleans are awesome... you can get a nice crunchy sound out of it too... but i use mainly pedals for distortion.

I think if you want a tube amp you either go with the AC30 from vox or with one of the Hot Rods from fender.

For jazz you should really check out the JC-120.

Actually, how are the Peavey Classics? I've heard nothing but good things on the ol' metal head forums (Ultimate Guitar) are they good for cleans and distortions?

They are one of the best amps peavey makes right now IMO. Good tone (clean is a 9, crunch, illgive it a 6 which is pretty good), small enough to handle, and the price is great.

EDIT: all those amps sound very good with a Gibson Les Paul.

Not to get too far off topic, but has anyone heard of an amp called George Dennis? I think they're made in the Czech Republic or something and are quite rare here in the US. I think they might be more common in Europe though.

Thundergod mentioned a Roland JC120. Another option for clean clean clean is a Polytone Mini-Brute II ($775 new). It's a 100 watt, single 12" combo. It is loud, it is clean, if you put a nice floor board in front of it, you can have any tone you want. It is not tube! George Benson used one for years.

Did I mention that they are 26 Lbs. If I didn't have one, I wouldn't believe what they can do. Acoustic bass players use them also, if that give you an idea of what it can do.

Another option for clean clean clean is a Polytone Mini-Brute II ($775 new). It's a 100 watt, single 12" combo.

My guitar teacher has one of those, it's really nice. You can get wonderful jazzy cleans and you can get some crunch (classic rock type) as well.

Archived