Gibson Brands Forums

Odd guitar, teardrop shaped Epiphone

darksidewalrus

I stumbled across this weird little thing, is a Teardrop Shaped Epiphone, similar to a VOX Mark VI, painted in pink, with a bigsby style bridge, black pickguard that covers almost al the front, three open single coil pickups, with three two way switches, and 3 tone and 3 volume control, with a tear shaped headstock with Epiphone on it. It may be repainted so I´m not absolutely sure if its a true epi, but it seems that the headstock at least is. Been looking on the net for two days and havent found anything even slightly similar. I´ll post pics as soon as I am able. Thoughts anyone?

probably an epiphone guitar with a recut body is my guess...here is a my bass from the same teardrop era....Vox made a phantom4 bass, i had one and i remember it had a narrow neck so rather than pay 1500 for one on ebay i made one outof a washburn p bass that i bought for $50 and the neck was perfect...the neck was shaved from the "A" on the low "E" string so that the neck never got any wider from that point up..a new tail pc was made up with brass adjusters to match the now narrow string spacing...the body was made out of mahogany...the quarters show just how narrow the neck is at the end...a new decal with the play on the old mfgs name...this is without question the easiest bass i have ever played...tone is from super crisp to down right low...

2mfm1qt.jpg

dv3te.jpg

n1cfb8.jpg

Yeah' date=' that's what I'm thinking but I still want to see it.[/quote']

Yeah spud, I am thinking the same thing as well. There has been alot of those old Vox Phantoms on my local CL the past couple of months. I had one back in the 70s and wasn't fond of the real thing, I don't think I'd want to make a knock off. I agree, we have to see it though ! There's also an original in my local GC behind glass they want $2500 for, do you believe that ???? The ones on CL have been like $300.

Archived