Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Nikii Sixx? eny one has it?

LaRouteDu

I have owned a sunburst Epi Thunderbird4 for just over a year and am pleased with everything about it. I demo`d a Nikki Sixx Blackbird and yes, I was impressed.... the lack of electrics seemed odd to start with but after 5 mins of playing I forgot about this.

It seemed lighter and smaller than the TB - I am not too sure that may have been an illusion due to the matte finish. It`s certainly a good looking bass with a fast neck and the sound seemed bright and powerful.

I play rock with a .58 pick and I found it pleasant to play and a definite for a 2nd bass in my collection.

The opti grab worked ok for me although I usually curl my pinkie under the bridge anyway.

All in all a great looking and sounding instrument....... I WANT ONE PLEASE!!!!

• 2 years later...

The Blackbird and Goth Thunderbird start life as the same bass

The are both mahogany with maple necks, 1.5" nut width as opposed to the standard T-bird's 1.73", pitch black finish and so cool [thumbup]

The differences are the controls, or lack of, pickups, truss rod cover, optigrab and fretboard inlays.

I have the Goth for more control but I daresay if you required a quick change of tone you could just use an EQ pedal for quickness

I have the bridge pickup really high so I can use it as a ramp so I can play faster and the Hipshot bridge is amazing. Makes a huge difference to the sound and virtually eliminates neck dive. I've also moved the front strap button to the front of the neck heel

• 2 months later...

The Blackbird and Goth Thunderbird start life as the same bass

The are both mahogany with maple necks, 1.5" nut width as opposed to the standard T-bird's 1.73", pitch black finish and so cool [thumbup]

The differences are the controls, or lack of, pickups, truss rod cover, optigrab and fretboard inlays.

I have the Goth for more control but I daresay if you required a quick change of tone you could just use an EQ pedal for quickness

I have the bridge pickup really high so I can use it as a ramp so I can play faster and the Hipshot bridge is amazing. Makes a huge difference to the sound and virtually eliminates neck dive. I've also moved the front strap button to the front of the neck heel

yea i have had my tb goth for a little over a week. This thing rocks! Were can i find the optigrab ? I am thinking about installing it on my bass.

yea i have had my tb goth for a little over a week. This thing rocks! Were can i find the optigrab ? I am thinking about installing it on my bass.

I always thought it was a bracket from Home-Depot spray painted black. "Optigrab" is just marketing BS.

I don't own one, but did try one out when they first came out. It sounded great, I love the simplified electronics, the only thing I didn't care for, and this is just personal taste, was the thin neck. I'd still like to get one someday, there's just a few more on the want list first [wink]

• 3 weeks later...

I own a modified Gibson Blackbird, and I tried the Epi Sixx out at a local music go round. I had read they were supposed to have a 1.5" nut like the Gibson- but this one didn't. It was the standard wide width like on the Epi IV. Maybe it was an older one perhaps? The cross inlays were done quite nicely though.

Archived