Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Artists and their Signature Models.

The_Sentry

I can tell you the Jorma is very close to my 335.

The Jorma does not have the stock Epiphone HBs in it' date=' not the same ones in the Dots or Supernovas anyway.[/quote']

I thought that the Jorma guitar was a Riviera not a Dot.

I can tell you the Jorma is very close to my 335.

The Jorma does not have the stock Epiphone HBs in it' date=' not the same ones in the Dots or Supernovas anyway.quote']

I thought that the Jorma guitar was a Riviera not a Dot.

Yes they labeled it as a Riviera as that is what he played in his JA days. Hot Tuna I'm not sure what he used. The Jorma sig is like a 335 with a bigsby regardless of what they call it. I'm talking tone wise. It sounds very close to my 335. My Supernova and the Dots I have owned in the past with stock PUs no way, nice but not a 335 tone stock. All the Dots and I have tried and my Supernova sound like a 335 with a blanket over them or the amp.

The Jorma is one of those, unlike the Supernova that was supposed to be a copy of something Noel had, where he picked options and said what he wanted in a guitar. He picked the options that got him an Epiphone 335 with a bigsby.

I would have to read the specs but I think my Jorma has a maple neck and my 335 mahogany. Anyway tone wise not too far off.

Really? Why would he say that. (perhaps he makes a better percentage off the Epi's -just my opinion)

I would have to find the interview again. It has been brought up here in past posts also. He said he made sure they put all the same stuff on the Epiphone version so his fans can just buy that and not the Gibson. He knows people will buy the Gibson but mainly collectors or wealthy fans.

Why would he say that? If you have read a lot of Slash interviews he seems like a down to earth common sense guy that is not too full of himself. He is a rockstar and can afford Gibsons or whatever else he wants. He knows he has fans and knows that the majority of his fans do not have the same income he does.

I think it is to his credit he made sure the Epiphone version "has all the same stuff" as the Gibson. He put his name on it and seems to be one of the artists concerned his fans are not getting ripped off.

A John Lennon EJ160e as an example: wrong scale, wrong shape, wrong top, wrong bracing, wrong burst, wrong PU, wrong knobs. I like mine for what it is but the Gibson Lennon sig and the Epiphone Lennon sig is not a J160e no how, no way, nadda.

byrds1965 said: (about Jorma Kaukonen)

Yes they labeled it as a Riviera as that is what he played in his JA days.

Um, nope. I don't believe Jorma ever played Epiphones with JA. I saw the Airplane perform many times, and Jorma always played a Gibson ES-345 with a Bigsby --- sometimes red, sometimes sunburst, sometimes black, but always a 345.

I think Epi called Jorma's signature a Riviera simply because it was a more upscale guitar than the Dot. They did add gold plated hardware (like Jorma's 345's), but didn't even use the Riviera's parallelogram fretboard inlays --- dots only.

Um' date=' nope. I don't believe Jorma ever played Epiphones with JA. I saw the Airplane perform many times, and Jorma always played a Gibson ES-345 with a Bigsby --- sometimes red, sometimes sunburst, sometimes black, but always a 345.

I think Epi called Jorma's signature a Riviera simply because it was a more upscale guitar than the Dot. They did add gold plated hardware (like Jorma's 345's), but didn't even use the Riviera's parallelogram fretboard inlays --- dots only.[/quote']

I have to say that he always played a 345 when i saw him with JA as well. I have seen him play the Epi on a couple of tunes with Hot Tuna.

Um' date=' nope. I don't believe Jorma ever played Epiphones with JA. I saw the Airplane perform many times, and Jorma always played a Gibson ES-345 with a Bigsby --- sometimes red, sometimes sunburst, sometimes black, but always a 345.

I think Epi called Jorma's signature a Riviera simply because it was a more upscale guitar than the Dot. They did add gold plated hardware (like Jorma's 345's), but didn't even use the Riviera's parallelogram fretboard inlays --- dots only.[/quote']

Actually I knew that I think.

Sorry for the bad info. Not sure why they called it a Riviera. He picked options to make a 335 rather than a Riviera and him playing a 345 makes more sense. It is still the nicest standard line Epiphone I have ever owned or played.

I found a photo of this guitar too on line. Looks familiar but not sure what this is.

http://www.bobwyman.com/jorma.jpg

http://www.everyguitarist.com/Jorma_Kaukonen.jpg (his 345 in burst?)

It is hard to find pictures of them on line with guitars. I have the greatest hits stuff CD and have a bunch of the vinyl JA including the first one without Grace Slick, but haven't gotten out my Lps for played one in years.

I was always more visualy into Kantner and his Rics.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1167/639504625_5fa4785ca9.jpg?v=0

I'm pretty sure I have seen JA photos from the 60s with Kantners Rics with tape/striped paint or some kind of designs on them that Eddie V made famous years later on a red guitar?

What period or years did you see JA? I only like the JA period and consider Starship something different.

I know it is OT and the post will get deleted but several of you guys here were around to see some of these 60s/70s bands in their prime live. I would like to hear stories about what bands and concerts were like back then. I was too young for this era and can only watch the DVDs and imagine how it was back then.

Archived