Gibson Brands Forums

Identify Me.... PUH-lease....

infiniteMPG

Oblivious to this website and this forum I had an accidental email pop into my inbox and made me look here. Must be a sign of fate as I have been sitting on an old Epiphone electric guitar I got up in Indiana back in the late 60's. Just a hack with it up until an accident in a machine shop cost me part of a finger tip that made pressing a string down a lot painful and a little impossible. Worked sound for a while until I woke up one day with a career and kids, but never parted with the old guitar. She sat in her decaying case for the last couple decades in my closet until that fateful email popped into my inbox this week. So I checked on her last evening to see if the termites may of consumed her but she's showing her age but still hanging in there. Not going to part with her but hopefully someone here can help identify her and maybe give me some care and conditioning hints. Uploaded the pictures ---> CLICK HERE

There is one small split area of wood on the backside near the neck that was there when I bought her oh so many moons ago. Everything else is pretty solid with the normal wear that +40 years takes on all of us (some sooner then later). But just thought I'd chat a bit and see if someone can identify the year and model so at least I know that.

Thanks!

Scott

Oblivious to this website and this forum I had an accidental email pop into my inbox and made me look here. Must be a sign of fate as I have been sitting on an old Epiphone electric guitar I got up in Indiana back in the late 60's. Just a hack with it up until an accident in a machine shop cost me part of a finger tip that made pressing a string down a lot painful and a little impossible. Worked sound for a while until I woke up one day with a career and kids' date=' but never parted with the old guitar. She sat in her decaying case for the last couple decades in my closet until that fateful email popped into my inbox this week. So I checked on her last evening to see if the termites may of consumed her but she's showing her age but still hanging in there. Not going to part with her but hopefully someone here can help identify her and maybe give me some care and conditioning hints. Uploaded the pictures ---> CLICK HERE

There is one small split area of wood on the backside near the neck that was there when I bought her oh so many moons ago. Everything else is pretty solid with the normal wear that +40 years takes on all of us (some sooner then later). But just thought I'd chat a bit and see if someone can identify the year and model so at least I know that.

Thanks!

Scott

What you have there is a 1965 Epiphone Coronet...and it looks to be in very nice condition from the photos....as far as a value you're looking at about $2250- $2500...there's currently one in a bit better shape at Elderly's Music in Lansing, Michigan for $3500 but as with anything, they can ask whatever they like, what they get is always another story but the $2250-$2500 amount is quite a reasonable expectation if the neck split issue isn't a serious one. Nice guitar.

The one at Elderly's :

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-14685.htm

As far as care you might want to get some fretboard conditioning oil (Gibson makes some that's available at most Gibson dealers)...or lemon oil and some "0000" steel wool and give the fretboard some attention going with the fretboard grain and taking care to not get into the neck finish.. If you're not going to play it I'd suggest loosening the string down maybe a couple steps...some people will tell you to store it without any tension and others will tell you to keep it at standard pitch but my feelings have always been that a little tension is best. The best way to know if the storage environment is good for the guitar is to think would it be good for you. The same temperatures and humidity levels that humans find comfortable are the same as guitars do.... 40%-45% humidity @ 68F-72F.

The serial number is 281481. I read it on the back of the headstock.

According to the Gibson and Epiphone pages of Guitar Dater Project' date=' that puts it at 1965.[/quote']

Yeah, it took a bit of playing around with the photo but that's what I came up with as well.

Thanks for the info on the S/N. Didn't get a chance to look at it last evening. Have a friend in the music biz (repair, equipment sales, sound systems, etc) in NC and he recommended that I keep it 100% original and just clean it, add new strings, maybe take it to a professional. Any suggestions on how to start with this?

Also, there is one marr on the backside that was on it when I got it, looks like something caused a little bit of wood to split and then someone glued it back down. Any suggestions on how to do that? Appears that what they used didn't get clamped in place and that spot sticks up slightly. Was thinking about trying to pry it back down, clean the glue off it and then re-glue it properly. Not sure what to do about that as that appears to be the only flaw in the body.

Thanks!

Beautiful guitar. If I were you I'd take it to a good luthier for any re-work.

Not sure where anyone is in the local area. We do have a Sam Ashe nearby but having not been in the biz for more then a few decades I don't know if they're hacks or not. Don't want her in the wrong hands :D

Don't know where in Florida you're located' date=' but there is a good luthier in Port St. Lucie.[/quote']

While my cousin lives in Cocoa, right near Port St. Lucie, I am located on the other side of the state just south of Tampa. But I do visit occasionally... can you email me contact info?

Info is on it's way. I can't believe there isn't someone good in the Tampa area, but no matter. The guy who's info I sent you came highly recommended, and he did an excellent job repairing a 25 year old acoustic for me.

Just for everyone else's benefit here's a link to an article that mentions him.

http://www.guitarplayerscenter.com/blog/guitar-upgrades/is-a-custom-carved-bone-nut-better/

Hey Burstbucker.... great ad! Wow, that's puts things in perspective! As far as a luthier in the Tampa area, my buddy from NC lived down this way for a few years so he has some contacts and is supposedly getting me some info.

Is there any hints to be sure I store this to prevent any further aging until I get it to a decent luthier? I need to dump the case it was in which is a cheap POS that's falling apart. Any recommendations?

I would invest in a nice SKB case that is dust tight. I just bought one for my Wilshire and it is a very rugged case at about $100 at GC. The best way to preserve is constant temp and humidity after a good cleaning. One of those dessicant pouches might be good in the case, as well as, conditioning a coule of times a year.

BTW, that's a great looking guitar! I believe Jimmy Hendrix used to play one in his early years, I have seen pictures of him playing one that looks just like it. Some call it a Wilsire, but it looks like a Coronet to me. (Unless Epi changed the design of the pickguard on these guitars along the way).

Good Luck!

Archived