Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Guitars

sportsmanbf11

Hello i currently am struggling with deciding on an epiphone guitar. My choices are Epiphone Limited Edition 1966 G-400 Electric Guitar for 299$. With Alnico Humbucker pickups. Or a Epiphone Les Paul Studio Electric Guitar for 299$. With hot open-coil humbuckers. Whats the difference in the guitar pickups, which do you prefer, and what would you consider the overall better choice?

Get the Mother F@#$ing SG!!

(The sg is the best deal out of the bunch.)

It's not a deal if the person who buys it doesn't like it.

Go to a store and check them both out, in person. There's a significant difference in the way they feel, not just in the pickups.

I have to second pohatu771..

There is a world of difference between SG and Les Paul.... Even if it's not for the sound, the neck feels really different...You have to try both to know. I'm a LP lover...but can't handle an SG neck... For you, it could be completely the opposite...

I have to second pohatu771..

There is a world of difference between SG and Les Paul.... Even if it's not for the sound' date=' the neck feels really different...You have to try both to know. I'm a LP lover...but can't handle an SG neck... For you, it could be completely the opposite...[/quote']

Norm and Pohatu know best. World of difference in the guitars. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere where you can play both, one will call to you and you'll know what is for you. No one else can answer that for you !

Not played the g400.. nice guitar.

own the lp studio.. replaced the pickups. rewired it. new nut.

love it.

it's about the neck in both cases, first, to me.

the g400 generally tends toward neck heavy.. and has a different feel to it. I don't know if the board radius is different but they are different thickness and shape otherwise.

Then it's the body. les pauls worn high work.. les pauls worn low work..

les pauls worn in the midle can break your short ribs up for when bb king comes by with the sauce.

the lp studio I have is the most recent version with the thicker body.

The finish is nice, the tuners are grovers.

It took very little fret work to make mine play as well as any I have played.

For sound, the typical differences apply.. you've heard 'em on sgs and les pauls in many recordings, and that still can be your basis for the differences.

but to A/B them in the store is ideal.. stand, sit, twiddle the controls.. get a good feel for each.

the studio has alnicos, just no covers. probably not a heck of a lot of difference there really.

the tone you hear will be the guitar your playing.. and you should feel a difference that will help you decide.

Look for flaws.. adjust the action up or down if you want.. some stores wont let you.. they suck!. but if the action is set higher than you like and they wont let you lower it.. you'll never know until you buy if the frets are too uneven to take the action that you prefer.

gonna cost you to fix that, unless you can do it.

for me, then, it's the neck and fingerboard and frets first off.. the rest is pretty much the same.

I love my studio.. but I wish epi would just go ahead and admit a contoured back is more comfortable and tonally acceptable.

You know, they're actually almost the same guitar, so go with whichever one feels the most comfortable and/or appeals to your esthetic sense. Either one is a good choice.

Normally there'd be a bigger difference tonewise between them but since they're both basically solid slabs of Philippine 'mahogany' the only real difference is in the (slightly) greater mass of the Studio. The story would be different if the Studio actually had the implied maple cap; but it doesn't, so...

As Twang said, the pickups are identical except for the covers; the Studio will probably have a brighter and more defined sound as a result of this.

I got the SG and it is AWESOME.It feels great and sounds so nice with my style of play ( AC/DC). Thankyou everyone for the help

Should have said that (my style of play is AC/DC) in the first place...then it would have been a no brainer.;)

You know' date=' they're actually almost the same guitar, so go with whichever one feels the most comfortable and/or appeals to your esthetic sense. Either one is a good choice.

Normally there'd be a bigger difference tonewise between them but since they're both basically solid slabs of Philippine 'mahogany' the only real difference is in the (slightly) greater mass of the Studio. The story would be different if the Studio actually had the implied maple cap; but it doesn't, so...

As Twang said, the pickups are identical except for the covers; the Studio will probably have a brighter and more defined sound as a result of this.[/quote']

I have both the LP and SG.

Not too much difference in neck feel

I suppose you could say the LP is a bit more rounded?

The SG neck just a tad flatter.

I can dig a little harder on the LP neck

but dammit both have great response!

The LP Studio I held last week was much lighter than my Std.

don't know why that is? but RX says something about the maple cap so maybe that's it.

WTF - I am looking for a new guitar and have my eye set on a LP Studio wine red or camelion and the price here in Oz starts at around the $600 mark with the Oz $ and the US $ almost 1:1 how can they be half the price in the US? Why are Epiphone or the dealers ripping us off here aaagggrrr ?

Archived