Gibson Brands Forums

How do you balance the sound of the pickups and settings for the amp?

LaRouteDu

Hi I have a Sherry and a fender twin amp. And for some reason, when i play i get a weird sound thats completly unbalanced. Its like the amp is on 10 but the guitar is on 1. very hard to explain it. And also do eny of you know how to get a nice clean overdrive sound?

Eny help will not be forgoten...

Thnx

I am not sure what clean overdriven is.

Do you mean overdrive as in a little break up.. or overdrive as full out into distortion?

overdrive is called dirty, not clean.

so your terminology is confusing.

perhaps you mean a more santana overdrive.. something with less of a fizzy sound?

a twin is big clean..... by the time you get it to overdrive your so loud the neighbors will start a shooting.

as for that weird sound. tell us what you run the amp at.. volume and tone.. and the guitar.. and if you're using any pedals.

otherwise we can hardly even guess!

I am not sure what clean overdriven is.

a twin is big clean..... by the time you get it to overdrive your so loud the neighbors will start a shooting.

Yeah have a Fender Twin II the Rivera designed series 120 watts I think. By the time you get to overdrive/breakup you are going to be deaf and every rafter and ductwork is going to be vibrating like an earthquake.

If you want the natural amp overdrive look at something like the Deluxe Reverb with 6V6s and 22 watts it's going to get into that zone I think you are talking about at a much lower volume. Another the Blues Deluxe is built to emulate the dirty tweed circuit, but forget a good clean tone.

Check out the Fender Super Champ $299. Great clean and has all the distortion presets.

If your not talking pure amp tone get a pedal.

Fender Twins have a LOT of headroom, meaning you have to turn it WAY up to get natural overdrive. It will be VERY LOUD.

I use a Black Face Twin Reverb Reissue, and I rehearse w/ it on "3", and gig w/ it on "4" (maybe "5" if the venue is large, like a High School Gym). I get a great clean tone out of it, even at "5". I'd have to get it up a tad past "7" in order to start getting some nice overdrive. So, I pedal in the amount of overdrive I want. I run a Boss Blues Driver for lighter overdrive, and a Fulltone OCD for more hard rock overdrive.

To get overdrive without pedals, you have to turn the channel volume up high and adjust the master volume accordingly. That way you are overdriving the preamp and the power amp circuit receives a clipped waveform.

Archived