Gibson Brands Forums

G-400 project guitar pretty much done

jcwillow777

Well, it's about as good as I can get it. If I knew how to paint it would look much better, but it didn't come out too bad. I redid it several times to get it here. It's impossible to tell in the pictures. If the light is just right you cna see that what I painted is a little gray compared to what I didn't do. I couldn't get it feathered in perfect either. Again, if the light is just right you can see that as well. From 50 feet it looks great LOL.

Before:

Nothing done yet.

SGProject001.jpg

Glued from front - ouch.

SGProjectGlued.jpg

Glued from back.

G-400backnet.jpg

As good as I can get it:

Front, as good as I can get it. I have a new TRC ordered. I first used wood filler, but after painting the firt time, I didn't like the way it looked, so I a some lacquer stick. I had to do it a couple of times due to lack of experience. It turned out as smooth as a baby's bottom. I may try to repaint it again, or find someone else more experience than me next time.

Fixednet1.jpg

Back, not sprayed with poly yet, but I plan to. Thanks to Daneman, the fingernail polish matched pretty good. I used a lacquer stick from stewmac, but they didn't match very good, so I just sanded them down and put on the nail polish. There are still a couple of dings in the back of the neck that I may fill in and touch up later.

Fixednet2.jpg

I put GFS Vintage 59s with coil splitting, new Alpha pots, .022 uf Sprague Orange Drop caps, Neutrik jack, All Parts 90 degree angle switch, vintage shielded wire, and a set of GFS Green Keystones. Two challenges here. I had to use my dremel so the switch would fit, along the inside of the cavity and fishing the wire, now that was a trip. I had to use soap cause the hole was so tight. I thought I'd never get it thru.

Fixednet3.jpg

All in all I'm pretty happy. Would I do it again? NO!

Have to second RotcanX. I had a very similar problem with Washburn EA Festival series (similar colour too) that I fixed OK but never got around to finishing so I still have a great big ugly mark on the back of the neck. Plays and sounds like it always did though.

Very well done mate, you should be proud of a good job well done.

Steve.

first time.. not bad at all.. great in fact.

looks very good.

nobody sees the back of the neck anyway..

minwax wipe on poly.. buffed out with mguiers *sp.. available at stewmac*

I've fixed quite a few dings and scratches with that and you can blend it in.

make sure you get gloss or satin depending on the feel you want.

good job.. !

Thanks for your kind words. I have had the neck glued together for over a month with no problems, other than my butcher job on on first attempt on the front. Then I decided to finish t up last week. I left the original Grovers on until Monday, so both sets of tuners work well. I jsut like the looks of Vintage Geens.

I haven't tried the SD 59s, but I have a SD Jazz in the neck and SD Custom in the bridge of my '81 Gibson Les Paul Custom and I love 'em. The SD Jazz has a little more bottom end than the GFS 59 in the neck. The Custom also has a little more bite, but I'm happy with the GFS set. I really didn't want to stick too much into this.

Thanks, I really like the 59s. The neck pickup has some descent bottom end, but the notes are clear, chords are not muddy. Very smooth. But I really like them for soloing with overdrive, I get a really smooth, creamy sound. The bridge pickup is bright and very usable, unlike many neck pickups that way too bright. I highly recommend them.

It looks very nice. The only time you learn is when you're in over your head. My brother and I installed new Dimarzio pickups (Area 58 in Neck and Middle, Area 61 in bridge) in my S310. This was the first time either of us had done any kind of guitar work. He did the soldering since he has experience with it (he builds computers). The installation went perfectly.

Great work JC, Why wouldn't you do it again ? There is a black G-400, gutted, with a broken headstock on my local CL for $10. The guy had both the G-400 and a LP, which is gone. I just kinda of figure by the time I'm done with the fix, all the hardware and refinishing it in Cherry, I'd be better off just buying another one. Oh well....

Great work JC' date=' Why wouldn't you do it again ? There is a black G-400, gutted, with a broken headstock on my local CL for $10. The guy had both the G-400 and a LP, which is gone. I just kinda of figure by the time I'm done with the fix, all the hardware and refinishing it in Cherry, I'd be better off just buying another one. Oh well....[/quote']

If I could pick a G-400 up for $10 I'd do it again, no doubt. I was just surfin' Ebay and the price of broken Epis has gone up considerably. A lot of them are starting out at $150, and I wouldn't pay that to gfix one up. I paid $100 for this one, but I just wanted to see if I could do it. I satisfied my desire. Now that I know I can, I would only do it again if the guitar was almost being given away though.

Archived