Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

What Is It Supposed To Look Like?


Biff Velvet

Recommended Posts

I recently bought a new Explorer. However the Nut looks weird. It looks like the E string doesnt even have a hole for it in the nut and is just kinda laid on the nut as is....

 

My epi LP nut looks much different....

 

I own a digital camera, but the USB ports in my computer are shot.

 

Thanks in advance guys!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any competant luthier in your area should be able to fix that in a matter of minutes but replacing it is not a bad option either. If you decide to take it to a luthier or repair shop tell them to put some nut lubricant in the slots because it does wonders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

a string only has to be 51% in the slot.. helps it to keep from binding if you don't put it in deep.

So keep that in mind.

If it stays on the nut ok.. just deepen the slot from the middle to the tuner side..

that way you don't have to worry about slotting it perfectly because you aren't touching the fret side where it has to break clean.

I'm assuming it breaks clean and works. just doesn't look right because the slot is shallow.

 

So you don't have to do anything except slot the back of the nut.. maybe!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

a string only has to be 51% in the slot.. helps it to keep from binding if you don't put it in deep.

So keep that in mind.

Totally serious question:

Once it is in 51%, how does it bind more if you go deeper? There will be no more additional string-to-nut contact on the remaining 49%, right? Is there something that I'm not considering?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As long as the string is only 'half in' the slot, it cannot bind. As soon as you go deeper, the sides of the string are being rubbed by the sides of the slot... and if the slot is tight, the string will bind and you'll have tuning woes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nvm actually....the by the looks of that picture...the nut looks perfect!!! I guess its my Epi LP. The strings are pretty deep in the nut on that bad boy...I do notice random buzzing on top of the normal buzzing. Its still a kick-butt guitar tho!

 

Anyways, lets give a pat on the back to Gibson QC for the Explorer. I've been hearing only negatives lately in regards to Gibson QC, so a round of applause for Inspector R.P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...