Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standard Plus top

xoso

I've just won the bid on this for £175 (about $350) - I hope to god its genuine. The owner is local and swears the serial number checks out on the guitardaterproject website. From what I can tell it looks genuine - One reassuring sign is that the pickguard screw lines up with the inner pots (on fakes its usually closer to the edge). It would have been nice to see a headstock pic because there are more obvious clues to look out for. Anyway I certainly won't hand over any money until I've checked out the serial number

3e8b_1.jpg

3f1c_1.jpg

3f5b_1.jpg

3f9f_1.jpg

3ede_1.jpg

The owner is local and swears the serial number checks out on the guitardaterproject website.

Any moron can come up with a serial that will 'check out' on the guitar dater project site. Why is it that everyone feels that being recognized by the GDP is some assurance of authenticity?

Anyway it looks authentic... it definitely has all the required veneers.

I'd not heard of the guitar dater project website before but I'm assuming from what you say its easy to rig? I'll definitely take a close look myself and make sure things like the logo on the headstock look correct

Hope it turns out well, Willy. Very difficult to tell from these pics, but you're right to be cautious. Take a good look at the headstock, the scratchplate and the position of the plates on the back. Might be an idea to take photos of a genuine Epi with you for comparison. And a friend too, just in case you ned help.

I'd not heard of the guitar dater project website before but I'm assuming from what you say its easy to rig? I'll definitely take a close look myself and make sure things like the logo on the headstock look correct
Very easy to rig - scan the web for the type guitar you're trying to counterfeit, find pics on a forum/etc that include closeup pics of the headstock of said guitar model (or even more unvbelievable, when folks actually type out their serial # in a post), take that serial number and just number down (or perhaps slightly up) from there. Epiphone makes a lot of guitars, would be easy to fake a serial # - heck they could use the same fake serial # on a thousand fakes....who knows ???

I wonder if, saying one were unlucky enough to get a "new" fake Epi, if epiphone would inform you if, when you tried to register the serial #, that it was already in existence and previously registered..... Things that make ya go HHHHMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:-k

Archived