Gibson Brands Forums

Valve Junior Gain Upgrade

Hi guys,

I was wondering if there's any really simple mods I can do (preferably w/ out a soldering iron) to get more gain out of my Vlave junior. I ran a search and found that replacing the tubes would be a good start, which brand of tubes would you guys recommend (to increase the gain)?

Thanks

the first thing i did was swap out the power amp tube for a JJ el84

and the pre amp for a tungsol 12ax7.

This is the tube that is suppose to give you a "creamy" overdirve.

I would agree with that in parts......

IT all depends on where you keep your volume.

But it much better then the stock tube.

thanks' date=' I'll look into that. I have an attenuator so overall volume isnt a problem. My question is: Are their any others that increase the gain (when fully cranked)?[/quote']

A tubescreamer might help.

Or a turbo tubescreamer.

Or a damage control.

Also, look into mods for using british spec tubes, if you want more marshall-y tone.

• 2 weeks later...

Put a BitMo trio mod in my Jr., inexpensive, still sounds like a tin can, I am now changing tubes, in order, first a Tung Sol 12ax7 and JJ el 84, if that does not work, a GE 5750 NOS and a Mullard NOS 84 if that does not work, I will Ebay the amp, I need help as well

I've got a TS 808 and it's a bit much for the Vj in my opinion. However I also have a TS 808

model in my POD xtl that I really like with the Vj. depending on the amp model used (or no amp

model for that matter), you can get just about any type of overdrive tone you want. I'll be interested to see what happens when it's time for tube replacement and if it gets me any closer to cover tones then

I already am.

Archived