Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V transformation.... what do you think??

JRizZ

Hey guys :)

Last week I put on pictures of my Sheraton II that I just rewired, thanks for all the nice comments and questions. I thought I'd just put on these pictures of the other guitar that I've been tinkering with the last couple of weeks (having never done any work on guitars before - I of course decided to start overhauling two at the same time!), this time it is my 1998 Flying V. I have totally rewired it with CTS pots, Sprague Orange Drop capacitor, chrome topped Switchcraft switch, Switchcraft jack, Gibson 500T & 496R pickups (which are brilliant for this guitar btw), Tusq nut, and the last thing to go on - and probably the bit I am most proud of - a custom made (by me) new pickguard! I bought a big square of blank pickguard plastic from the Steward MacDonald website (last Sunday, and it arrived on Wednesday.... US to UK in 3 days!!!! Nice!) and then used the old guard as a template. It was a long job to get the edges looking properly bevelled to show the 5 ply plastic nicely, but I think it was a success. The guitar now looks and sounds a LOT better imo!

Here are a few pics - notice the extensive use of copper shielding in the guitar cavity and on the back of the pickguard! I saw someone has used this on another guitar I looked at and I had some, so I kind of went to town a bit! If anything it at least brightens the inside up a bit!!!

Oh - and I couldn't bring myself to remove the Led Zeppelin sticker that had been there 10 years!!

Before....

n286300907_1101457_9117.jpgP1000407.jpg

P1000413.jpg

P1000419.jpg

Technical huh!!

P1000455.jpg

P1000456.jpg

P1000457.jpg

...after!

P1000465.jpg

P1000466.jpg

Looks great! You transformed it from just a plain ole Flying V into something that looks like the Star ship

"Enterprise"...glad you still kept the Led Zepplin graphic, but where's the tribute to Spock?

Those orange drops look pretty cool with the black guitar..sort of halloweenish and mean looking.

What it chiefly needs now is some Kool pickups made from rare earth magnets....although the 500T

and 496R will do the job quite nicely.

Now is your Epi V made out of Korina or Romulian rainforest tonewood?

..and I always thought Flying V's had to be white!

Thanks for the positive feedback guys :)

I thought the standard Flying V looked a bit plain (if a Flying V can ever look plain that is!), so I thought I'd have a go at making it more interesting. I am pleased with the results - she won't be gathering so much dust in the future!

Hey JRizZ' date=' Beautiful job!! I'm really impressed with your shielding...I bet it's quiet as a mouse. =D> [/quote']

Haha yeah it's pretty quiet now! I'm thinking of doing one with all that shielding and a plexi glass pickguard so I can admire it!

The shrinkage in your avatar makes the pickguard look like you scalloped that beveled edge. Incredible effect and I was very excited, hoping to discover how you did it. Disappointment when I found out I was looking at a digital artifact. Bummer!

Definitely in the Top Ten V's of All Time. Congrats

The shrinkage in your avatar makes the pickguard look like you scalloped that beveled edge. Incredible effect and I was very excited' date=' hoping to discover how you did it. Disappointment when I found out I was looking at a digital artifact. Bummer!

Definitely in the Top Ten V's of All Time. Congrats

[/quote']

Thanks very much!

I never had much of a thing for Flying Vs' date=' except that they were interesting. But your transformation is a really nice mix of modern space-age and subtle class.[/quote']

Thanks very much - Vs are a bit of a niche as they are a little extreme, but they do have their place!

Excellent! Good job' date=' JRizZ! Really "classed it up," IMHO!

Cheers,

CB[/quote']

Thanks very much - is always nice to know that it was worth the effort! I am sooo pleased with the pickguard and the chromed out look! Can't put this guitar down at the mo!

Hmmmm....

How do you think this would all look on an explorer?

I hardly want to mess with the nice natural korina, but for 200 bucks on craigslist, I might just have too...

Who on here put a "gibson" sticker on their epi V headstock that made it look so perfect?

I gotta see where I can buy one...

Hmmmm....

I hardly want to mess with the nice natural korina' date=' but for 200 bucks on craigslist, I might just have too...

Who on here put a "gibson" sticker on their epi V headstock that made it look so perfect?

I gotta see where I can buy one...[/quote']

Go for it! Stan put a Gibson-sticker on his Epi. You can get decals made at Best-Decals.com

Hmmmm....

I hardly want to mess with the nice natural korina' date=' but for 200 bucks on craigslist, I might just have too...

I gotta see where I can buy one...[/quote']

I think this would also suit an Explorer - in fact I might keep an eye out for an Explorer to try it on in the future - the two together would look awesome!!

I think this would also suit an Explorer - in fact I might keep an eye out for an Explorer to try it on in the future - the two together would look awesome!!

You are right JRizZ. They would look great together, and While I'm not a fan of the Vs for me, I do like the Explorers (Allen Collins influence I guess)

Great job, It looks really good bro !

PM or email me about decals.

Archived