Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pickups

wicker.man

Having replaced the stock pickups in my guitar (Epi LP Std 2003), is there an easy way of identifying which one is the Neck pickup and which is the Bridge? Both have stickers saying 'Neck', which I figured was just a QC error.

One of the pickups has F stamped on the back and the other has R. One has red wires, the other has black. Am I to assume the F & R stand for front and rear? What about the wire colours - is there a colour convention that Epiphone use for these pickups?

Any help or advice appreciated, thanks.

Thanks Ron - do your stock pickups have stickers on the back too? The person that bought my pickups suggested that semi acoustics might use a pair of neck pickups. I'm not sure whether this is correct or not - would the LP use the same bridge pickup as a Dot?

Thanks Ron - do your stock pickups have stickers on the back too? The person that bought my pickups suggested that semi acoustics might use a pair of neck pickups. I'm not sure whether this is correct or not - would the LP use the same bridge pickup as a Dot?

They do have stickers indicating position. Dot Studios (like mine) come with a hot bridge

pickup. The pole piece spacing center-to-center is 50mm neck, 52mm bridge. Regular Dots

come with 2 classic humbuckers but I don't know whether the pole piece spacing is different

for the respective positions. I bet Spud does, though.

Edit: It appears that the aftermarket Gibson 57 classic is for either position, like a 335.

BTW, what pickups did you install; how do you like them?

Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro's. I changed them some time ago, and I'm very pleased with them. I also got a Fishman Powerbridge fitted, so now it's a similar spec the Slash Les Paul. The Powerbridge and blending circuit is fantastic. I sold the old ones on eBay. Didn't get much for them, but I hoped they'd be of use to someone. It's a pity he thinks that he's got 2 neck pickups!

Thanks everyone for helping me out here. The problem has been resolved and the buyer is a happy man. That last link confirmed everything for me - I did have a proper pair of bridge and neck pickups, it was just that they both had 'neck' stickers. Everything else was consistent with the ebay photo (wire colour, F&R markings etc).

Great forum, by the way.

Short wire - bridge. Long wire - neck.

Not always. Just finished my Kramer guitar and my mate gave me his old quad rails straight out of the kramer pacer he has. Neck pickup had the short wire. Also i checked the resistance reading to make sure.

One of the pickups had 2 magnets on the bottom and the other had 3? The bridge one had long wire less magnets but higher resistance. Lucky i checked cos had it ready to wire with other pickup lol.

14k bridge 7k neck

They do have stickers indicating position. Dot Studios (like mine) come with a hot bridge

pickup. The pole piece spacing center-to-center is 50mm neck' date=' 52mm bridge. Regular Dots

come with 2 classic humbuckers but I don't know whether the pole piece spacing is different

for the respective positions. I bet Spud does, though. [/quote']

The stickers are a little confusing since they use the same pickups on all their guitars and the Dot uses two 'neck' pickups in terms of output; however as Ron has suggested, the actual 'neck' pickup ('F') has a narrower pole spacing than the ('R') bridge pickup. You can see this in your side-by side photo; the one on the left is the bridge pickup with the wider spacing; the one on the right is the neck pickup.

If you have an ohmmeter you can quickly verify which is which; the LP Standard bridge pickup is just under 14K ohms while the neck pickup is around 8K ohms.

Archived