Gibson Brands Forums

B string louder than the other strings. What to do?

humbucker

Hello!

I just noticed a while ago that the 2nd string on my Broadway (with stock pickups) is much louder than the other strings when played amplified. I've been playing the guitar for more than half a year now but this problem with the 2nd string never occurred until a month ago.

What's the reason for this and how can I solve this problem?

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I searched the archive but couldn't find it.

Thanks!!!

humbucker

Yes, I thought of that too. I changed strings a couple of weeks ago. But it's the same type (D'Addario light Jazz) that I had on before and I don't remember having this problem before (or maybe I just didn't notice cuz I only tried these strings twice so far). Could this really be the reason? I thought it would have to do with the pickups. But I'll try another b string. Thanks for your reply! :-k

Yes' date=' I thought of that too. I changed strings a couple of weeks ago. But it's the same type (D'Addario light Jazz) that I had on before and I don't remember having this problem before (or maybe I just didn't notice cuz I only tried these strings twice so far). Could this really be the reason? I thought it would have to do with the pickups. But I'll try another b string. Thanks for your reply! :)[/quote']

I have a Broadway, but I'm using Fend*r stainless flats (.013-.054) and all 3 treble strings

are pretty much balanced volume wise. You didn't mention if the louder B was

on the neck p_up only or on both. Did you you happen to raise the treble

side of the hbucker closer to the strings in the last 6 months? If not then it's

more than likely the individual string or the guage.

Thanks for your feedback, guys. It seems to me that the problem is in fact more prominent with the neck pickup on. But I will have to go back to check if it's different with the bridge pickup (I seldomly use the bridge pickup position).

Ok, so I checked my guitar and found that the B string is louder no matter in which pickup position. So I guess it must be the string after all. Btw, if you want to hear how it sounds like, take look at this video: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=P5xlu2rzp2c

I'm playing "What a wonderful world" live onstage (at my wedding) with arpeggios and chords. The chords sound ok, but during the arpeggios, the B string always stands out. It's slightly annoying. Anyway, I'll try out another set of strings soon. Thanks for your feedback, guys! 8-[

Archived