Gibson Brands Forums

A string buzz

SlagJones

Can anyone tell me why an A string would buzz only on the 1st fret, while other frets seem ok and none of the other strings seem to have a buzzing problem? I would think a relief issue would affect more than one string? Any help is appreciated or let me know if you need more specifics. thanks.

press the A string at the 3rd fret..

then look at the distance between the bottom of the A string and the top of the 1st fret.

You should find, according to your description, that the string is laying on top of the fret.

IE: the nut slot is too deep.

If this is so.. then there's an easy fix.

superglue.

remove the string from the slot.

lay a thin bead of superglue.. very little.. in the slot.

let it dry.

reslot the nut only this time keep checking by the above method and get the slot just deep enough that you have a

hairs breadth clearance betweens the bottom of the A string and top of the first fret. *when the A string is fretted at the 3rd fret*

that's true for all strings.

some guitars will allow the string to touch there.. but not many.

epis generally have their nut slots a tad low.

in cases like that it depends on relief, string guage, tuning, saddle height.. but .. they should be the same so.. I'm betting you've got one slot too deep and there's no sense in adjusting everything to fix one thing.

ps.

don't have a nut slotting file?

no problem. I bet you've got an old A string.. use it as a saw! works nice if you just hold it by the ends and then work it back and forth in the slot.. keep it straight and take your time. you want to avoid one thing mainly.. *besides the depth, of course* and that's to not chip the nut on the fret side, or widen it too much.. it can rattle in the slot, if that happens.

But.. superglue fixes that, too so.. it's not like some huge risk. just be patient and don't force things. let the tool do the work.

*s*

by the way.. I do this by feel more than sight..

that is.. I use my fingerpicking index finger nail to press the string at the 1st fret while fretted at the 3rd..

do that check with each string.. you'll FEEL the difference.. how much pressure it takes to get the string to hit the top of the 3rd fret..

they don't necessarily have to be uniform.. that is, some strings have more motion there than others.. but the general rule is spot on..

a hairs breadth or less..

this can also mean that fret is a tad high.. but seriously, I wouldn't care as fixing the fret is harder than fixing the slot and since we're only talking about less than a hairs breadth up the board.. I think my way will do!

IMO It has nothing to do with the nut.

A buzz at the 1st fret really indicates a buzz at 2nd fret or higher. Since you have no buzz on the other frets either the 1st fret is sitting too low or the 2nd fret is too high. Check with a ruler or creditcard if you see any discrepancies in height.

Also check for unusual wear or marks on the 1st and 2nd fret.

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Just to be more clear, the A string is ok when played open. When I play the first fret it has a buzz. When I play 2nd fret and on it seems ok. I don't notice any buzzing on any of the other strings on when playing any fret. That just seems weird. I will check fret heights and look at the height of the nut slot also and let you know what I find. Thanks again!

SlagJones, you didn't mention whether it buzzed at the first fret when played open or fretted. My first impression was the nut was cut too low, but that would be true if it buzzed when playing the open string. If when fretted, I would lean toward what Ricochet said or other possible causes. Just my $.02.

yeah.. if it buzzes when you play at that fret, it's the second or even another fret that's high.

look at a higher fret..

pardon my misunderstanding.

but check your nut slot height on each string anyway. you oughta do that always.

IMO It has nothing to do with the nut.

A buzz at the 1st fret really indicates a buzz at 2nd fret or higher. Since you have no buzz on the other frets either the 1st fret is sitting too low or the 2nd fret is too high. Check with a ruler or creditcard if you see any discrepancies in height.

Also check for unusual wear or marks on the 1st and 2nd fret.

Right again, Ric.

Archived