Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone.. I know you wont..

TWANG

.. want to build this exactly the same, since you just introduced the ultra w. nanomag..

but boy..

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/introducing-gibson-usas-july/

http://www.gibson.com/Files/aaFeaturesImages2008/longhorn%20dc%20trans%20blue.jpg

can anyone tell me if they have made a contour on the back of that ?

my only LP complaint is that I have to have it high or low compared to my normal playing position or the thing jabs me in the short ribs.

I love this longhorn.. I like the body shape.. I like the inlays..

leave out the nanomag or lr baggs.. but let us have that body, too.

but no.. you probably wanna wait fifteen years!!!

shucks.

i'm the same way. always wanted to try a tummy cut, but can't shell out for a heritage. sometimes i put my strap around the face of the guitar and that kinda does it, but it never stays that way.

unless you are man enough to play the twisted sister lp (one just hit ebay), i think gibson made a tummy cut version lp like 5-10 years ago... a lite or a studio or something.

that's the problem though.. no tummy.

lower bout digs right into my short ribs.. so I lowered it.

tried it higher but that wasn't much better.

I'd buy an epi longhorn contour or no!

Maybe that's why all the young guys started playing the guitar down around their knees... I always wondered why they thought that looked cool. Mine seems to fit just above the point where my belt buckle doesn't gouge it. I guess those of us with a few extra pounds have something there to space it away from the belt buckle and we don't have to play it Chuck Berry style.

You'd think epi would try just that..

a new contour design on the lps.. SG's don't really need it..

I personally can't stand Vs and explorers, etc.. because of the huge tail end..

but boy.. a nice lp with arm and rib contours.. that would be very nice.

I don't think that idea belongs to fender anymore than a cutaway.

Well, if you want to shell out a ridiculous amount of money Gibson does the Dickey Betts Les Paul still...I think, and it's got the contour, and I think it only comes in red, not cherry, RED.

I have a 1997 Gibson All-American II. It's pretty much a double-cutaway Melody Maker. And it has a back relief. So it's not as if Gibson hasn't done this before.

Of course, for each one of us saying reliefs would be a great idea, there are hundreds, nay, thousands more that would scream bloody murder at the idea of changing the iconic body shape of the Lester, I suspect.

I cut double contours in my tele builds.

I increase the size of the higher one.. and add another on the other side. the bottom of the back.

and I like an arm cutaway, too, on the front.

You have to admit, I think, that it makes the guitar much more comfortable.

And tone.. ah.. come on.. who could ever tell?

I was talking to one of my friends one day, and we decided that we'd try our hands at building a solidbody guitar. When we started talking about body shapes (we were going for strange), he said "What if we had a Flying V, but backwards!"

That night, the Reverse Flying V was the Gibson Guitar of the Week.

I was talking to one of my friends one day' date=' and we decided that we'd try our hands at building a solidbody guitar. When we started talking about body shapes (we were going for strange), he said "What if we had a Flying V, but backwards!"

That night, the Reverse Flying V was the Gibson Guitar of the Week.[/quote']

So, you're saying your friend is, like, psychic but it doesn't matter.

I was talking to one of my friends one day' date=' and we decided that we'd try our hands at building a solidbody guitar. When we started talking about body shapes (we were going for strange), he said "What if we had a Flying V, but backwards!"

That night, the Reverse Flying V was the Gibson Guitar of the Week.[/quote']

Not a Kiss fan but I caught a "Classic in Concert" replay last night on VH1. One of the guys had a bass that was shaped like a large midievial AXE. I guess you could really call that one an axe and speak the truth.

My most comfortable guitar is the contoured Strat. It sits on the knee properly and fits the body nicely.

The LP's could use some contouring ala PRS style. But then, wouldn't some of us complain about the body mass reduction? We'd have a long thread about how if affected the tone.

The LP's could use some contouring ala PRS style. But then' date=' wouldn't some of us complain about the body mass reduction? We'd have a long thread about how if affected the tone.[/quote']

You could be right. I don't think the Gibson Vixen LP model is even considered a real Gibson by the experts!

Archived