Gibson Brands Forums

Questions about bridges

dbirchett

You know' date=' there is a very good reason why most countries think poorly of Americans. I mean come on! I live in America and I will often say stuff like how stupid we are to not be able to comprehend metrics XD If Americans replaced their cocky-ness with intellect, I am sure they would switch to the metric system.[/quote']

Going metric is about as useful to most americans as kelvins are useful to most people asking about the weather.

And, TBO, gibson's specs aren't changing. They've been the same since 1958 at the LATEST. So even if USA went metric, the gibson sizes would still be smaller, just a different measure smaller.

The world could agree if they only would. Metric is probably a better system than SAE. Business has changed, but we all still hang on the the SAE comparisons... Although I'm not quite sure I want to see a set of building plans in centimeters/ meters. My house is 64 feet long and I don't care to know how much that is in meters.

There's a good workaround for the SAE vs metric system. Go out and buy a cheap digital caliper that reads in both mm and inches. Then you can compare and measure the comonents accurately. I used the original Epi studs on my Ghoto bridge. The Epi LP studs were larger OD, but the threads were the same.

You know all this bickering is pointless. Any inch value multiplied by 25.4 becomes a metric value. My job requires knowledge both systems but still I relate to most values in terms of inches.

Example:

2 29/32 = 2.906" Bridge post spacing in inches

2.906" * 25.4 = 73.81MM Bridge post spacing in millimeters

Pretty simple stuff for an American or any moderately intelligent human being from any country.

Now that I have defended my country on to the topic. I have a 1999 Sheraton II. When I replaced the strings I took the liberty (something we have in America) of measuring the post hole spread of the bridge. During that Samick manufacturing era the spread was 2.830" or 71.88MM. Fortunately the bridge on Sharon Epistone is in good condition because I seriously doubt that I would be able to find an after-market bridge that would drop right on.

I went through this whole experience with my now very nice Dot Studio. If this project is that important to you then you really need to remove all the strings, remove the bridge and measure the post hole spread with a caliper. You can buy an inexpensive plastic dial caliper at Sears or True Value hardware. Use the internal measurement to establish the post hole size. Then again using the internal measurement, measure the distance between the holes (far side to far side) and subtract the hole size. If you use the external measurement add the hole size.

Stew-Mac was the only vendor that provided specs for their products.

Just as a reference to all those with a Dot Studio, the hole spread is 2.886 or 73.3MM. Post hole size is Ø.254 or 6.45MM. I was unable to find a bridge that would drop right on. So I had to modify a Standard Gotoh bridge to fit.

Good luck! If you have any other questions that I may be able to help you with don't be afraid to ask.

73.81MM / 25.4 = 2.906"

The metric system is so much easier to use because it's a base 10 system,

unlike our current system, which has no base at all. To divide or multiply,

often it's a simple matter of moving a decimal point, It's strange that the

US has shunned the metric system of measurements, yet it is so

comfortable with a metric/base 10 system of currency.

Man..](*' date=') and I thought we got along well enough to take a good ribbing once in a while...[/quote']

Touche ! I didn't take Spud's comment to be mean spirited, and I don't believe it was intended as such. I guess folks aren't used to certain brands of humor.

It's strange that the US has shunned the metric system of measurements' date=' yet it is so

comfortable with a metric/base 10 system of currency.[/quote']

I can understand the retooling costs would be huge and for zero benefit. If you manufacture products mainly for domestic consumption it doesn't make any sense to adopt some foreign standard just for the kicks... Getting spare parts for a the machinery would also be painstaking, as we have read on this thread already. Likewise it would be hard for us Europeans or the Asians to use any other than the metric system which we already have adopted and used since the French revolution in 1789. Well, almost.

And yet we still all (or most of us) use 12/24 hour time... :D

I think the problem is that the only Americans other countries see are the Paris Hiltons, Lindsay Lohans, and Kim Kardashians. 98% of Americans hate them and think they're stupid. Many times I have joked of how stupid and lazy us Americans are, but in reality, it's only the sickeningly rich Americans that live as other countries believe we do. In all reality, we're not so different than Europe.

And as Biff said, it's far easier to convert measurements from the US to the rest of the world than convert a whole country and re-teach all of it's inhabitants.

RotcanX: For shame, I had expected better from you!-_-

I think the problem is that the only Americans other countries see are the Paris Hiltons' date=' Lindsay Lohans, and Kim Kardashians. 98% of Americans hate them and think they're stupid. Many times I have joked of how stupid and lazy us Americans are, but in reality, it's only the sickeningly rich Americans that live as other countries believe we do. In all reality, we're not so different than Europe.

And as Biff said, it's far easier to convert measurements from the US to the rest of the world than convert a whole country and re-teach all of it's inhabitants.

RotcanX: For shame, I had expected better from you!-_-

[/quote']

Let's not be too hard on Spud...he is Canadian after all and Canadians should have our sympathy because here was a country that could have had French culture, British government and American technology and ended up with French government, British technology and American culture...Now, we should all thank Canada for Lorne Greene, William Shatner, Neil Young and Tim Horton's donut shops and try not to hold Celine Dion, Anne Murray and Howie Mandel against them....

I think the problem is that the only Americans other countries see are the Paris Hiltons' date=' Lindsay Lohans, and Kim Kardashians. [/quote']

Well well. As a random specimen of eurotrash, I must confess that personally I don't have any problem with the people,

but with the bigger issues and US politics that affect our lives indirectly. -- Oh yeah and maybe Seacrest -_-

But, I think it's a bit insulting to think we're so naïve that we'd take Paris and Lindsay seriously ... just kidding.

But what was the original thread subject again?

Let's not be too hard on Spud...he is Canadian after all and Canadians should have our sympathy because here was a country that could have had French culture' date=' British government and American technology and ended up with French government, British technology and American culture...Now, we should all thank Canada for Lorne Greene, William Shatner, Neil Young and Tim Horton's donut shops and try not to hold Celine Dion, Anne Murray and Howie Mandel against them....[/quote']

And don't forget Mike Myers!

You guys really got the short end of the stick, eh?

Well well. As a random specimen of eurotrash' date=' I must confess that personally I don't have any problem with the people,

but with the bigger issues and US politics that affect our lives indirectly. -- Oh yeah and maybe Seacrest :)

But, I think it's a bit insulting to think we're so naïve that we'd take Paris and Lindsay seriously ... just kidding.[/quote']

Well, when you think of America, aren't Beverly Hills and Botox the first things that come to mind?

But what was the original thread subject again?

I think it was something to do with potatoes...

Archived