Gibson Brands Forums

les paul standard plus w/duncan pups

ericlees

hi i have a lp stnd with sh-2 and the jb and its a great guitar. but i was wondering if anyone has tried another set like the seth lover´s set, cuz i recently bought a lp custom and wanna swap the pups for another set of duncans, im looking for a vintage tone, or jazzy tone to play melow songs.

I have an epiphone dot I upgraded with(among other things), a set of GFS pickups. Mean 90 in the bridge and vintage 59 in the neck. This guitar does GREAT blues and rock n' roll. But jazz is pretty much a roll-back on vol. and tone from blues and rock, so they might work there too.

Putting that same set in a hollowbody, such as an joe pass emporer II or maybe sheraton II, will give you a jazzier tone, for sure.

Try that on for size.

hi i have a lp stnd with sh-2 and the jb and its a great guitar. but i was wondering if anyone has tried another set like the seth lover´s set' date=' cuz i recently bought a lp custom and wanna swap the pups for another set of duncans, im looking for a vintage tone, or jazzy tone to play melow songs.[/quote']

I'd opt for a PAF-type pickup. Seymour Duncans have good value.

SD Vintage Blues '59 Humbucker Set 2x SH-1

or the SD Slash Alnico II Pro set. 2x SH-2

Listen to the mp3 samples at www.seymourduncan.com for comparison. Use a good pair of headphones because the differences are subtle and you need good speakers or headphones to really hear the differences.

Archived