Gibson Brands Forums

sheraton or lucille?

ericlees

im planning to buy an archtop guitar, my first choice wold be a prs hollowbody 2 but i cant afford it so i want an epi(love epi, very good guitars) so im between a sheraton and a lucille(not really an archtop) wich one would be more versatile? im looking for jazzy tones, i know that the musician is the most important not really the guitar, but anyway i´ll use it to play some jazz standards, and for funk like screamming headless torso and that kinda stuff

The sheraton would be great. The lucille would be brighter' date=' not so good for jazz.[/quote']

But the Lucille does have the Varitone? I think that should make it more versatile and even darken the sound a bit if necessary... Check out a BB King from YouTube, look for clips from Live in Kinshasa '74 for example. My favourite.

I've got a Sherry and it will do about anything that I want. I put new pickups in it, GFS Vintage 59s, and it is a very sweet sounding guitar, but add some overdrive and it will rock out.

I have thought about getting a Lucille for quite some time, don't know if I ever will, but with the Varitone there are no doubt more possible tones out of it than the Sherry. When I got my Sherry the store didn't have a Lucille in stock, if they did, that is probably what I would have today.

im planning to buy an archtop guitar' date=' my first choice wold be a prs hollowbody 2 but i cant afford it so i want an epi(love epi, very good guitars) so im between a sheraton and a lucille(not really an archtop) wich one would be more versatile? im looking for jazzy tones, i know that the musician is the most important not really the guitar, but anyway i´ll use it to play some jazz standards, and for funk like screamming headless torso and that kinda stuff[/quote']

Eric, you make a statement in here that isn't correct, and that is that the Lucille is not really an archtop. It is just as much anarchtop as a Sheraton. The only thing the Sheraton has in this regard that the Lucille doesn't is f-holes. When it was designed, it was decided to leave them off to help control feedback. Same thing was done with some of the Chet Atkins Gretsches, a couple of early Guilds and a couple of other Gibsons (ES Artist?) and the Epi Al Caiola back in the '60s.

Otherwise, the construction of the Lucille and the Sheraton is the basically the same. Electronic and trim differences but the basic semi-hollow construction is the same. Now if you are referring to an Archtop as a hollow body as opposed to semi-hollow then neither of them qualify in that regard.

The sheraton would be great. The lucille would be brighter' date=' not so good for jazz.[/quote']

I have never played a Sheri but I own a 335 and a Jorma and I had a Lucille for about a month and I found it to be darker than either. Lack of F holes maybe.

If I had to choose between a Sheraton and the Lucille I would pick the Lucille because of the Varitone and I really liked the one I had and the ability to get different tones.

I've neglected my Dot the last couple of months, maybe I should look into the Varitone option myself..

lol, all the Jormas and F holes in the same post - hysterical .. Jorma, the Finnish first name that was popular until the 1970s, is very similar in our modern dialect to the English name ****, if you catch my drift -_- sorry, I must be pretty tired.

ok' date=' i´ll go to a music store(veerkamp) and i´ll try them both, then ill pick wich i like most. post picks soonner as i pick one.[/quote']

Best statement yet in this thread. That's the thing to do IMO. I own a Sheraton and it certainly can prodduce the tones you're talking about as can the Lucille. Stereo and Varitone obviously adds some tonal possibilities, but will you really use them in the music you play - You have to decide. I personally don't think you can go wrong either way. I'm about to redo my Sherry soon and have considered a varitone to split the humbuckers. Another possibility ?

Biff said:

But the Lucille does have the Varitone? I think that should make it more versatile and even darken the sound a bit if necessary... Check out a BB King from YouTube, look for clips from Live in Kinshasa '74 for example. My favourite.

Nope, the darkest sound Lucille makes is with the Varitone in bypass mode (position 1). All the other settings cut out various frequencies in the lower and mid ranges to give different types of brighter, thinner, or "scooped" sounds.

Lucille is heavier than a Sheri due to the lack of f-holes and the extra electronics for the stereo output and Varitone, and is much softer when played unplugged. The neck is also beefier than most Sheratons I've played.

Other than that, their basic amplified tones are similar when not using the Varitone. (installing a Varitone on a Sheraton is an option too, if that's important to you.) I'd say it comes down to which neck profile you like better and the aesthetics of which guitar you prefer.

I've neglected my Dot the last couple of months' date='...

[/quote']

I think it's time you and the Dot spend the time together. Every so often I neglect my Dot and when I pick it up again it sounds sweeter than the last time I played it.

I think it's time you and the Dot spend the time together. Every so often I neglect my Dot and when I pick it up again it sounds sweeter than the last time I played it.

Just did pick her up again and I think we're off to our second honeymoon together :)

She can be both sweet and soft but with a bit of digging in there's that distinctive P90 edge and with some subtle distortion she will pounce at you and sweep you off your feet.

I was left with an extra '57 Classic pickup that I have to try in her, first thing tomorrow evening.

Never played a Lucille, and while I'm not a jazzer, I do like to comp with my Sheraton now and then, and I can't imagine it couldn't deliver what you need.

My one complaint with it is that it's neck-heavy, but since I play seated it's not that much trouble. Also, I had to replace the selector switch a few years ago, but I assume that problem has been worked out since I bought mine.

The tech who repaired it was not at all impressed with the stock pups (and they are low-end, I'm sure) and suggested DiMarzios as replacements. That's why I dropped in. I've seen the mentions of GFS and have to admit I never heard of them. I want to keep the Sheraton as versatile as possible - and get the most out of it - and was wondering if anyone has used the DiMarzio Air Classics.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I think you'll like the Sherry once you get your hands on it.

Well, I can tell you first hand, that the Sheri's neck is much easier on people with normal to small hands.

"Lucille" is to BB's specs, and has a much "beefier" neck. Both guitars are great sounding, but the Sheri

does have a tendency to have a bit more bottom end, on the neck pick-up. So, that may (or may not) be

another factor, in your decision? I have both, a Sheri (USA), and a Gibson "Lucille" and the Sheri neck is

to die for! It also has the "mini-humbuckers" so, it's even a bit different sounding, than the full sized humbucker

versions.

"Lucille" sounds great, though...and the neck isn't so "fat" that it's uncomfortable (for me, anyway),

but it will take some getting used to.

Hope that helps?

CB

I own a Sheraton II and I just rewired it...over a period of about 3 weeks. It's pretty difficult to do everything through the treble f-hole so I can only imagine how bad the Lucille would be, unless it has an access hole in the back (my '63 Chet Atkins Country Gent did, and it was still an all-day sucker when you wanted to resolder a connection or whatever).

That reminds me of another issue with adding a varitone to a Sheraton: the new parts will have to fit through the f-hole.

I'm not saying it's impossible...but when I took my Epi to the local shop to swap out the pickups, they flat out turned me down.

As I noted in another thread, the tech had just finished rewiring a '68 345, and he was a little snakebit. My own reaction was that a) I knew I could do it, having experienced similar challenges with my Gretsch and :D if he wouldn't do it, that was probably a sign that he couldn't do it the way I wanted it.

It's finished now, so I don't worry about it.

I'm not in a hurry to start another....

I spent some time searching for pics of Lucille and it appears that the electronics are accessed through the large stereo output jack plate opening. That looks more promising.

Still doesn't solve the problem of fitting a varitone into a Sherry.

I spent some time searching for pics of Lucille and it appears that the electronics are accessed through the large stereo output jack plate opening. That looks more promising. Still doesn't solve the problem of fitting a varitone into a Sherry.

Look at this pic of a Varitone-equpped Gibson. Note the huge access hole in the

bridge pickup cavity' date=' probably to accomodate the Varitone. Methinks the Lucille is

the same and that's how the components are accessed.

[img']http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk54/ronnjee/335.jpg[/img]

A member named Jerrymac has a varitone in his Sheraton. Here is a picture he published:

MIJ_Sherry_body.jpg

Maybe he'll chime in and tell us how he got it in there. The Gibson Varitone is not a small unit and uses a separate choke and other components. A more compact version is available from http://www.bigdguitars.com/ but it still won't be a piece of cake to put in.

Why don't these companies put an access panel in the back of the guitar?

Archived