Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Standard vs 57 Goldtop

Rickstar

Hey,

I have found a second hand gold top but I don't know if its a standard with gold finish (if they even made them, I guess they did) or a 57 Goldtop. I have the serial number and know it was made in 1997 in Korea.

Is there anyway I can tell the difference? The electrics appear to be chrome from the photo and its a dark wood on the back. Its got pearl fret markers and the head says "Epiphone" across the top "Les Paul Model" vertically and "Gibson" on the bell thing where it joins the fret board.

Since its 11 years old, anybody any idea how much is it worth in UK pounds? There are some light plectrum scratches on the front and a small chip out of the back at the top of the body.

I really appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Many thanks

A '57 is just a gold coloured Les Paul standard as it should be. I consider the old Korean Goldtops being among the best guitars Epiphone ever made - but I've never played one as old as a '97.

The '57 Epi Goldtop is quite rare, I'm looking for one. I could pay upto £350 for one in mint condition - but not without testing it first.

...oh I forgot I played a Korean 1996 Ebony Les Paul a while ago. That was the most Gibsonish Epi I've ever played, too bad I poor nowadays, otherwise I'd own that Epi now...and that '97 should be something similar? But of course they were made in a few different plants also in those days.

I just picked up a '57 Goldtop Elitist Les Paul for $699.00. I've wanted it for a long time but $1100.00 was always a little steep for a guitar I would have to order sight unseen. This one I got to fondle for a good long time first.

Archived