Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone used these amps?

metalhed717

Randall? theyre supposed to have a good metal sound. im looking into a half stack, but im kinda hoping for one under 1,000. i was looking at a marshall, but i think the one id really like from them is the JVM, which is waaaay too expensive for me right now. so itd be a $600 marshall, which im thinking may not have as good a distortion, or a Randall half stack- even the Kirk Hammett sig. amp is only like $700

I tried one out a few weeks back. I thought it was OK, but I don't know if stock it's what exactly you're looking for, OP. (With the EXCEPTION of the MTS series. I'd actually like to get my hands on one of these....removable preamps...and if Kirk Hammet's stuff doesn't grab you for metal, then what will?)

And on that note....er, is it the amp that's needed here....or an effect?

Randalls are solid state (some have tube preamps, though).

JVMs are tube amps.

A marshall MG (solid state) half stack is 600 bucks.

A used AVT can be had for about that.

But really, you're better off getting a Krank rev jr.

It's a real metal amp, a tube amp, and you CAN overpower a drummer.

It's not a massive stack, but you don't really need one. If you need more power, get another krank 1x12 cab.

OK, I know this is the electric guitar forum, and there's another one for Epi amps, but y'all brought it up, so....

What about the various Epi-model amps? BTW, it looks to me from the new catalogue that a few models were discontinued this year. Any reaction?

Yeahyeahyeah, but, like I said, you all started it!

i'm gonna keep looking... im still leaning towards the randall, but itll probably be a while before i get one. the amps just caught my attention and i was looking for some opinions. the UG reviews said the randall had great metal distortion, so i think ill go with that. but theres still plenty of time to search

I saw a friend of mine playing at a graduation party last weekend, and I thought he was playing a Marshall combo, because I saw "all" behind him. Then he moved and I saw it was a Randall. He was getting quite the variety of sounds out of it (thanks to a footswitch)... everything from Stones to Green Day. He did a mighty fine Johnny B. Goode.

If you're going to use it for gigging avoid the Marshall MG series. My MG100DFX got through 2 replacement speakers and 2 fans in the 12 month warranty period. I never played at higher than 7. Basically they are bedroom amps.

When I first got it I kidded myself that it had "that" Marshall sound...but it didn't really. THe AVT gets closer, but you only really get it with all-tube. Took me a long time to work out that if you are serious about classic rock tone on a limited budget, you are better off with an old second-hand all-tube amp, even if it's lower wattage.

If you are willing to go about $2700 street price, you can have the George Lynch signature model Randall all tube 100 watt 4x12 amp with 3 removable preamps. I got a demo in a music store last week. The guy nailed Warren Haynes, EVH, and some metal types. The preamps are about $249 each and there are about 6 to choose from. It is definitely a great sounding, LOUD, tube amp.

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/amplifiers/mts/lynchbox/index.asp

Dave, That sounds marvellous but Metalhed said he's looking to spend less than $1000.

I suspect lots of us here are "willing" to spend $2700 on a rig, but not many are "able" to...for half that amount you can get a good secondhand Fender Twin, and it'll do everything you'd ever want from an amp (including metal).

Dave' date=' That sounds marvellous but Metalhed said he's looking to spend less than $1000.

I suspect lots of us here are "willing" to spend $2700 on a rig, but not many are "able" to...for half that amount you can get a good secondhand Fender Twin, and it'll do everything you'd ever want from an amp (including metal).

[/quote']

Yep, I thought I'd throw in the fact that most of the people we want to sound like don't use under $1000 amps. It's funny, though, that some of them DO. I've seen several hot guitar players miking a 2x12 combo amp on Soundstage concerts and nailing the sound. PA miked amps are the way to go nowdays. Couple that with a wireless setup and you can dance all over the stage like Angus while sounding like him.

I'd recommend the Vox ADVT-XL 2x12. It's designed to reproduce the metal sounds and the line is excellent.

This video is worth a watch.

Archived