Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top Electric Guitar in ebony

Before i bought the Epiphone SG- 400 since its low price of 299$. But i loved the feel of the Les Paul but it was 450. this weekend tho it was on sale at my local guitar center for 349$ so i traded my SG in for this and payed the extra 50 dollars. Any opinions on whether i made the right choice and how different these guitars actually are?

The epiphone les paul is an incredibly dark guitar.

Also very heavy.

The epiphone G-400 is twangy but not super bright, and the sustain is less than any true les paul.

The pickups are the same.

The G-400 has a slim taper neck, which I like.

Ultimately, it's all personal taste.

Mahogany hunk with a carved top vs. mahogany slab with double sharp cutaways and a slim taper neck.

50 bucks for extra weight(sustain, wood) and les paul's name. Worth it if its worth it to you.

I am playing the LP Standard ebony and loves every minute on it ! The elegant shape and the exquisite sound of the guitar , in my view, beat out the SG-400 any day ! I may be biased as I mostly used the acoustic option on the Roland Cube 60 . It just sounds heavely with special effects thrown in . However, I would like to add the SG-400 custom ( i.e with 3 hambuckers ) in my collection in the future . I tried this baby in the shop and was quite impressed with its sound !

I am playing the LP Standard ebony and loves every minute on it ! The elegant shape and the exquisite sound of the guitar ' date=' in my view, beat out the SG-400 any day ! I may be biased as I mostly used the acoustic option on the Roland Cube 60 . It just sounds heavely with special effects thrown in . However, I would like to add the SG-400 custom ( i.e with 3 hambuckers ) in my collection in the future . I tried this baby in the shop and was quite impressed with its sound ! [/quote']

Ha! ANOTHER Roland Cube 60 user!

All my Epiphones sound sweet through this amp! The last 2 times out I went with the setting to the Black Panel for clean rhythm and lead, and when I needed to throw some rock in there, I'll usually go with Classic (it also seems to be the loudest channel...uncompressed?)

I just started tweaking with the Dyna Amp setting...that one....Pull the volume pot on the Epi back to around 5-6, play the rhythm, then crank it up and get amazing results in terms of phrasings.

I can't say enough about this amp. As far as clubs go, I haven't needed anything bigger so far. (My Line 6 Spider II tends to stay at home....and, yeah, I was so sold on the 60 I ended up getting a Microcube, sold that to a bandmate, and then got a Street Performer...)

[-o</ :)/

(anyhows, sorry for hijacking the thread....back to LP discussion.....hehehehe)

Hello Roland Cube lover ! I tried the 60 in a Gym and it worked just fine ! It is just incredible how this cube got its power and special effects all lumped together in a relatively small box ! When I played in the basement of the house just at 50% volume, my mom said her dishes trembled in the kitchen upstairs !!

You are right ! Epiphone guitars love the Cube too ! The acoustic sounds marvellous in the Cube ...

Cheers !

Archived