Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement Pickguard for Supernova

Hey there everybody, I just picked up a Man City Blue Supernova, but the prior owner tossed the pickguard right after he bought it in '98. I'd like to replace it. Anyone have any ideas or happen to have one they don't want?

I know there are plenty of people that dislike the pickguard, so I have to imagine there are some out there collecting dust.

Thanks

Well, I called Gibson Customer Support today and was given a part number for it. They said they didn't know if it was still available, I will hav eto go to an authorized dealer and have them check. I left the part number on my desk at work, otherwise I'd throw it out there for you guys.

Sup,

There is a local guy who makes pickguards that could handle this with ease, I'm sure. He did some custom pickguards for a friend and me. Probably not the cheapest but he is good and he won't break you either. Rather than having Noel Gallagher's signature on it, he could put yours if you like.

You can find him on ebay. Do a search for Epiphone Truss Rod Covers. He's the one that lets you pick the one you want from about 50 or so.

I think I pretty much just interested in bring ing it back to what it originally was.

The part number Gibson gave me for the guard was PPG-136.

I don't know if any of you guys are able to research this part number at all, but the Guitar Center I called to try to order it doesn't seem to be putting forth much effort to find out if its available.

• 3 weeks later...

Well thanks to tip from someone here on the boards I was led to Naperville Music who ordered the part for me. I finally got it today, but the unfortunate thing is that they have changed the part.

The replacement does not have Noel Gallagher's signature (some of you may prefer that). But the biggest issue is that the shape has changed slightly and the screw hole by the neck is not in the same place. I really didn't want to make a new hole in this thing just to mount the guard.

So I guess I'm still looking for the part if there is anyone out there that can help.

I know there's someone on here with a Union Jack Supernova, who could trace his for you, and have a copy made.

It wouldn't be exactly what you wanted, but it'd be better than nothing (though Matiac changes his mind quite a bit). I don't remember his name, and I don't think he comes around much anymore.

Well thanks to tip from someone here on the boards I was led to Naperville Music who ordered the part for me. I finally got it today' date=' but the unfortunate thing is that they have changed the part.

The replacement does not have Noel Gallagher's signature (some of you may prefer that). But the biggest issue is that the shape has changed slightly and the screw hole by the neck is not in the same place. I really didn't want to make a new hole in this thing just to mount the guard.

So I guess I'm still looking for the part if there is anyone out there that can help.[/quote']

Maybe for the time being you could drill another hole in the pickguard instead of the guitar. Untill you get the right one.

Maybe for the time being you could drill another hole in the pickguard instead of the guitar. Untill you get the right one.

I was thinking of either doing that, or devising a little sub-bracket that would allow me to link the two holes together.

But I would still ultimately like to get the original guard.

Well thanks to tip from someone here on the boards I was led to Naperville Music who ordered the part for me. I finally got it today' date=' but the unfortunate thing is that they have changed the part.

So I guess I'm still looking for the part if there is anyone out there that can help.[/quote']

Sorry to hear they changed it. I'm sure you could have one custom made somewhere. I wonder if different factories made the Supernova and the plie of pickgaurds they have left doesn't match them all.

Sorry to hear they changed it. I'm sure you could have one custom made somewhere. I wonder if different factories made the Supernova and the plie of pickgaurds they have left doesn't match them all.

My understanding has been that they were all made at the same factory in Korea. It appears to me that this one is simply a replacement part that didn't come from the original supplier. It lacks Noel's signature which gives me the impression it isn't very "authentic".

I'll try to get you guys a picture of it so you can see how it differs from the original.

My understanding has been that they were all made at the same factory in Korea. It appears to me that this one is simply a replacement part that didn't come from the original supplier. It lacks Noel's signature which gives me the impression it isn't very "authentic".

I'll try to get you guys a picture of it so you can see how it differs from the original.

If possible yes please post a photo. I own a Supernova like yours too and would like to see what they are selling as a replacement.

OK, so here is a photo I took of the pickguard in position on the guitar.

You'll notice that near the neck, the guard does not come up as high as it does on original guard. You may also be able to tell the differance in the position of the screw hole. And of course, the signature is missing.

My Guitar

STA70251.jpg

Reference Photo of what I wish I had.

4a83_1.jpg

On the other hand here is one in Union Jack that appears to be shaped like mine. So I'm still confused.

maggie2.jpg

OK' date=' so here is a photo I took of the pickguard in position on the guitar.

You'll notice that near the neck, the guard does not come up as high as it does on original guard. You may also be able to tell the differance in the position of the screw hole. And of course, the signature is missing.

My Guitar

[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/Electron2002/STA70251.jpg[/img]

Reference Photo of what I wish I had.

4a83_1.jpg

On the other hand here is one in Union Jack that appears to be shaped like mine. So I'm still confused.

I just pulled out my Supernova and looked and my pickgaurd looks just like the one they sent you and the one on the Brit flag one. It is not like the one in the other photo that goes all the way to the edge of the guitar. Wonder if more than one plant made them or if they changed the specs along the line. Mine is from the last of the run in 2006 in the closeout sale they were having on them. I wonder if you have an earlier model.

maggie2.jpg

I just pulled out my Supernova and looked and my pickgaurd looks just like the one they sent you and the one on the Brit flag one. It is not like the one in the other photo that goes all the way to the edge of the guitar. Wonder if more than one plant made them or if they changed the specs along the line. Mine is from the last of the run in 2006 in the closeout sale they were having on them. I wonder if you have an earlier model.

Mine is from 2002. So maybe toward the end of production they changed it. Honestly, I think I may like it a little better, but unfortunately it doesn't line up properly.

They must have changed things along the line. I have the small photo here and mine came new in the box but the E fell off right away. I still have it in the case but just left it off.

Yeah, I see that in your avitar. Looks like I'm going to have to get a little crafty to make this one work without any further modifications to the guitar itself.

• 4 months later...

since I've been doing guards and tr covers for epis. I find that small differences abound. model to model shape to shape hole to hole

pickup route distances.. almost anything can vary by enough to make it a hassle.

good luck.. those are very cool looking guitars..

TWANG

Archived