Gibson Brands Forums

Help with Epi guitar choice

thewinteam

Hi,

I am looking to buy a new epiphone guitar. I've been looking extensively at second hand guitars here in Spain and I've found 3 pretty good Epi offers, but I need help deciding between them. They cost roughly the same price (~260 euros)

The guitars are:

LP Standard Ebony

G-400 Custom

G-400 With Seymour Duncan SH2 and SH4.

I know the weakest one here is the regular G-400 but I'm not sure how it compares to the other 2 with the new pups. I've also read about these guitars having problems staying in tune. Is it really an issue or do people exagerate? Is any of these models a better choice for another reason not related to sound quality?

Also, is there any possiblity of importing an Epi from the US?

Thank you very much in advance.

My pick would be the G-400 with Seymour Duncans.

Any tuning issues are more likely due to inproper setup than anything else.

It is possible to import your own Epi. Not sure if taking Spanish importduties and VAT into consideration, it would be a worthwhile venture though.

I'd go with the G-400 with Seymour Duncans too. I have changed the pickups in all of the Epis I have owned that had humbuckers. The Seymour Duncans is a good set.

As far as not holding tune. I have never had a problem with any of the Epis I have owned. I Grovers that come on them are fine. It's more a problem of setup, like Ricochet said. Nuts and saddles might need a little work, but the tuners will be fine. I have changed the tuners in 5 of my Epis to Grover Vintage Green Keystones, but only because I prefer the looks of the Green Keys.

I still have the original tuners in my Sheraton, just changed the knobs for aesthetic, I really don't like the looks of the kidneys shaped knobs. I have never had a problem with my Sherry going out of tune.

Grovers are the bomb! I've never had any tuning issues with mine. 'Ol Blue sat in her case for a month, and when I pulled her out, she was right on the money...except that damn G-string

My pick would be the G-400 with Seymour Duncans.

Any tuning issues are more likely due to inproper setup than anything else.

I would also take the G400 with the Duncans, but I'm an SG guy and not a LP guy. I only had ploblems with the stock keys on my EJ160e, cheap junk plastic tulips, but never the new Epiphone Grovers. My 1965 G400 has the Grovers and no problems, but I still may change them because it looks wrong to me with the kidney heads.

I would also take the G400 with the Duncans' date=' but I'm an SG guy and not a LP guy. I only had ploblems with the stock keys on my EJ160e, cheap junk plastic tulips, but never the new Epiphone Grovers. My 1965 G400 has the Grovers and no problems, but I still may change them because it looks wrong to me with the kidney heads.[/quote']

See, that's what I dig about 'em, their different. I like the old keystones too though, or tulips, whatever you wanna call them. Main thing I like about them is their stability, they work better than the tuners on the GIBSON Goldtop, I was always tuning that guitar...would always go sharp on me.

OK' date=' thanks very much guys, i think i'll grab the G400 with SDs. BTW: Is there any difference between the Les Paul Standard and the Standard Plain-top apart from the obvious aesthetic difference?[/quote']

No.

Archived