Gibson Brands Forums

G400 Nut

essessemm

The black plastic nut on my G400 doesn't seem right. It is quite tall with deep grooves for the strings. Most nuts that I've seen are not as tall -- where the strings basically sit on very shallow groves. Mine are sunk way in and the sustain is not great on my guitar - could this be part of the problem?

Sorry can't post pics at the moment.

Also, where can I order a pre-cut nut? Can I drop a new one in myself?

The black plastic nut on my G400 doesn't seem right. It is quite tall with deep grooves for the strings. Most nuts that I've seen are not as tall -- where the strings basically sit on very shallow groves. Mine are sunk way in and the sustain is not great on my guitar - could this be part of the problem?

Yes.

For the moment you could maybe sand the entire nut down till the grooves are like little halfpipes. If you screw up you can always buy a new one.

I'd post a pic if it weren't for Rotcans snide remarks about my nuts...

I was looking at the Tusq nuts - What is the string spacing for a G400 -- Is it 1 3/8" E to E?

This one?: http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?ProductID=137&CurrencyID=2

Also, looking at the Epi manual, it says that the action at the 1st fret should be 1/64" treble side and 2/64" bass side. Mine looks to be about 2/64" or higher across the board. -- Actually it looks like 1/16"

As suggested, I could also try to sand the top of mine down to see if I get better sustain once the strings are exposed.

Archived