Gibson Brands Forums

Full stack or double half stack?

iansmitchell

Yeah, this is pretty OT, I know, but the guitarist endorses epis, so...

I was watching the video for Ozzy's "I don't wanna stop", and I noticed that instead of your tradition Marshall "stack"(1 head, 2 cabs), they're surrounded(lol) by what is pretty much "stacked" "half stacks", or two heads, two cabs. What's the deal with that? Does zakk use that as a live setup? Are they daisy chained or does he use a splitter?

Video:

Well... I guess eventually space becomes an issue... so you want to max out your actual wattage without adding extra cabs, and a single 1960 cab is plenty capable of handling a 100-watt head. A full stack is great when you only have one head and you want the maximum volume out of it.

they're surrounded(lol) by what is pretty much "stacked" "half stacks"' date=' or two heads, two cabs. What's the deal with that? Does zakk use that as a live setup? Are they daisy chained or does he use a splitter?

[/quote']

I've seen this setup on stage with him, whether they're all plugged in I don't know...

Part of the show I reckon. The visual aspect of rows of Marshallstacks add credibility to any hard rockin band.

I know about a wellknown guitarplayer who had rows of Marshallstacks but effectively only played one head and slaved it to all bottom cabs. The top cabs weren't even used(too hard on the ears!). All the other heads just had built in leds to appear working and happily blasting away.:-)

Well' date=' if Billy Gibbons is pulling it off with just one head and a miked iso cab backstage ...

[/quote']

True, but even the Reverend of Tone acknowledges the importance of having multiple stacks on stage, albeit just for show.

True' date=' but even the Reverend of Tone acknowledges the importance of having multiple stacks on stage, albeit just for show.[/quote']

In one interview, Billy talks about a studio "amp cabin" where they put the mic in the middle and faced 4 small combo amps in a square toward the mic, then stacked four more on top and another facing down on top of all that. These were various types of amps. He says the combination of different types, each adding something to the mix, added lots of coloration to the sound.

With today's PA speakers, you have to wonder if the "wall of amps" on stage is for looks or for the audience's benefit. I always stand in front of my amp with the sound going out about hip level. If I move away too far, my ears suffer. I can't imagine standing in front of a screaming stack like you see on stage with some bands. They must be turned to a pleasing level and the rest of the signal mic'ed to the house PA. Otherwise, one tour and you have no ear function left. Some of these groups have been doing 200 shows a year for 20 years or more.

I have a 2x12 100W combo, I freaking know that CLEAN, I could play almost anywhere without needing a PA, but if I drive that sucka, there's no way I need more power, less I've got over 2000 people to play for...

Slayer, the who, MAYBE kiss, are/were the only bands I think used whole stacks.

My own consideration on the stack vs. 2xhalf stack -- its easier to move a half stack even if you have to make 2 trips, but even at low volume levels around an apartment, overall tone improves with each speaker added to the mix. I've played around with connections and impedences to the point where I've been able to stack cabs totalling 7 12" speakers. Mixing and matching different speakers changes the tone in often unexpected but usually marvelous directions, cleaning up or adding definition to midrange; whatever. The more the better. That said, I still can't stand shlepping the damned heavy monsters around, and so I own a variety of 1x12 and 2x12 cabs, and 1x10's, 2x8's. I've considered building a 4x8 because I think it would be more than the weight of a 1x12, but less than a 2x12. I'm just not sure if the tone would give me enough of the 12" tone to make the expense of the experiment worth while.

Oh, and for those that don't know, the multiple smaller speakers are easier for an amp to control, and their use will tighten up bass and midrange, usually allowing treble to breathe more openly, although with sometimes an apparent loss of lower mid and upper bass frequencies. That, IMHO, has more to do with the loss of muddy ghost tones than an actual loss of low frequencies. As examples, a 2x12 has more cone surface than a 1x15 and can therefore generate and better control usable bass tones even though they can't reproduce the absolute lowest tones you can get out of a 1x15. But then, if you can't hear them, how much do you really need them? Gobs of other technical things come into play also, but for me it was always about the end product, which means I paid less attention to the actuality of what happens (and even less to the theory) so any errors in the above are completely mine. Nevertheless, that's how it sounds to me.

Archived