Gibson Brands Forums

help w/first electric, specific requirements

domj

hi

i don't even know if this is the right kind of forum to ask this.. seems like most posts are from experts so if beginner quieries aren't tolerated i apologize in advance..

anyway i'm looking to get my first electric.. my eyes were first drawn to the gibson sg but this may be a little out of my price range, so i figured epiphone would naturally be the next best thing.. though i'm a little stuck as to finding what's available, what to go for, where to look etc...

so far the g-400 sticks out as something that interests me.. it has a nice look and seems suited to what i'm after, but i see a few different versions.. and i'm really not sure what the difference is =S..

is this here any good?

http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=24&CollectionID=16

and how much would it cost?

also i'm left handed.. i've tried playing right handed and its a nightmare, so i'd need a left handed version.. would it be possible to get ahold of such a thing? and at how much additional cost generally speaking?

thanks in advance to anyone who can help.. if this is not the right place to ask please do point me in the right direction =)

hi

is this here any good?

http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=24&CollectionID=16

and how much would it cost?

This is the right place, welcome. That is a decent guitar, I have 2 G-400s, but right handed. I don't know the conversion, but a leftys goes for about $415 new in the States. There are others here from the UK that can help you out with the conversion from US dollars.

The S-310 is a bolt on neck, the G-400 is a set neck. If you can afford it, get the G-400.

This is absolutely the right place for any novice or expert questions alike!

The G400 is a very good choice that won't be limiting your development or skills As a guitarist unlike some cheaper, beginner models.

Sure, it's not a Gibson but it's Good with a big G.

The lefties here can probably answer the questions about the availability of Epiphone's lh models...

hey thanks, that's very useful info all three of you. i'm used to working with dollars anyway and that doesn't sound too bad.

edit: got the £ amount now thanks ICH.. that's really cheaper than i was expecting to find it and well within my budget

another stupid question...

is there much of a difference between the "faded" and regular difference or is purely aesthetic?

The two lefty G-400s they make:

Standard G-400. $314 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G400-Left-Handed-Electric-Guitar?sku=518099

Toni Iommi Signiture G-400. $514 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Tony-Iommi-Signature-G400-Guitar-LeftHanded?sku=518556

The extra 100 bucks buys you cross inlays, 24 fret neck, and gibson USA pickups instead of the muddy and dark epiphone stock pickups.

If I was a lefty, that's what I'd get.

Little higher price than most starting out guitars, but this thing is real quality.

EDIT: sorry, looks like MF discontinued the southpaw standard SG.

Sorry. The iommi still is an excellent choice. Sadly for southpaws, no vintage(faded) or standard anymore for now.

ok i ordered it from there but they told me it was sold out.. until the end of august so i cancelled my order and decided to look elsewhere.. i found it elsewhere but it refers to it as having a "fitted neck"... is this something different or just a more specific description?

https://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/epiphone-g-400/890

cheaper too but i wanna be sure its what im looking for or good enough

and does anyone know if this place is reputable or not?

Left handed cherry G400 at £209.

ICH

Wow... that's actually reasonable, compared to the US price... only around a $10 difference, based on a few-weeks-old-conversion I did in my head.

The Guitar Amp Keyboard store you just posted looks alright. It's VeriSign sealed (and it's authentic, I checked). The price is a bit lower than the other store (and may even be cheaper than the US price), but it looks alright to me.

welcom lefty...... my g400 is about to get a pickup swap and fret dressing and bone nut (finally)

depating trading in my stuff thats not worth anything to me anymore and some things i like as well as the g400 for a gibby sg..... big debate.

Hi Bud,

I don't know if this will be of any use to you but I can vouch for the reputation of this company (in as much as they recently had a Zoom G2 priced up a little on the cheap side and they sold to me at that price. Later the same day that price had increased by 33%).

It might be worth a look.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/cgi/ss000001.pl?page=search&SS=epiphone+g400&PR=-1&TB=A

Oops the link goes straight to the home page (I'm rubbish at this stuff!) but just do a search for epiphone g400 and you'll find what I was trying to point you to.

I have a g400 from korea and really quite like it (bought several years ago and NOT from this company).

Regards,

Steve.

Well, I don't know what your budget is, but if you can afford it, the upgrade to a toni iommi signiture G-400 lefty is very worthwhile.

Gibson USA pickups over the muddy mess of epi stock pups.

Awesome inlays.

Not all that much more expensive, plus i have a feeling they're discontinuing it rather soon, and it WILL be worth more if and when you sell it if they do.

ok i ordered it from there but they told me it was sold out.. until the end of august so i cancelled my order and decided to look elsewhere.. i found it elsewhere but it refers to it as having a "fitted neck"... is this something different or just a more specific description?

https://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/epiphone-g-400/890

cheaper too but i wanna be sure its what im looking for or good enough

and does anyone know if this place is reputable or not?

Hi man' date=' belated welcome.

Yeah - that place (often referred to as GAK) is reputable - it's one of the biggest (if not [i']the[/i] biggest - but not sure) guitar shops in the UK, so if it's cheaper there and you're happy with it - I'd say go for it :)

I ordered from GAK but they told me they won't have it until the end of August either. I cancelled that order and then went for Andertons but I've received no order confirmation email from them which is a little worrying. I've asked about it so hopefully it will be resolved ok.

Thanks to everyone I haven't thanked already for helping.. and thanks again to those I have =)

I ordered from GAK but they told me they won't have it until the end of August either. I cancelled that order and then went for Andertons but I've received no order confirmation email from them which is a little worrying. I've asked about it so hopefully it will be resolved ok.

Thanks to everyone I haven't thanked already for helping.. and thanks again to those I have =)

I've heard Andertons are pretty good too, I'd imagine you'll get your email confirmation tomorrow morning probably, and you'll be rocking out SG-style soon!

Shame. But the G400 is a good guitar and worth waiting for.

Still it gives you chance to quiz the suppliers about what you get for your money.

Will the supplier put on strings of your preferred guage, and check the setup and intonation in the quoted price. that is assuming you want that, and don't want to do it yourself. Will they chuck in a gigbag, or give a discount on a hard case.

ICH

just a little update to those who may be interested.. i have this beautiful piece of hardware sitting in front of me right now. couldn't be more pleased with it =)

i will post pics as soon as i get a chance to take pics

thanks again everyone

Archived