Gibson Brands Forums

Any Les Paul Ultra II owners???

A week ago I posted regarding an issue I was experiencing with my nanomag. A few good folks gave me some good advice, but I am truly hoping to find another Ultra II owner who could test their guitar to see if they are also experiencing the issue (it could easily be overlooked) or if they have already taken notice... anyone???

The post is entitled "Ultra II Nanomag Issues" if you want read it, but the jist of it is that the upstrokes on the the low E string are not being picked up well at all by the nano mag. A good test would be to hold down a G note (3rd fret) on the low E and just do a DUDUDUDU picking pattern on the E string only with only the nano pick-up (turn the humbucker volume to 0 or just use the nano jack), and see if the volume coming through the amp is consistent. When I do this I get a much quieter sound on the up picks.

And if you don't own this guitar but happen to be going to the local guitar shop, why not try this and see if you experience the same thing :(

Thanks!

Thedude:

I should have replied right away. Yes, I did test my Ultra II that night. No, I do not have this problem. I get pretty good tone with up or down strokes on all strings with just the Nanomag.

You had also mentioned a fix for the popping sound you get from the jack. I do have that problem. How did you fix it?

Sounds like I am alone on an island over here... thanks for checking! Nic I will get back to you when I have more time.

Dude' date='say Hi! to Gilligan for me............[/i']

I have exactly zero issues with my Ultra II. Wellllllllllllll, maybe one. Not enough time in the day to play it as much as I would like to! This has become my favorite guitar

Nic- best thing to do for the popping is to get the PLanet Waves Circuit Breaker Cable. The jack has ridges near the base that holds better in the nano jack and since I have been using that there has been zero popping due to moving around. I was able to get the 20ft cable for 50% off when I bought the mbox2 mini at GC.

Archived