Gibson Brands Forums

What kind of figured top for Les Paul???

mr.chEn

You forgot 'birdseye'.

As gorgeous as the quilted tops are, I had to go for the flame tops, simply because these look the most like a true '50s Les Paul.

Bringing in the number of 'A's is irrelevant; firstly, a flame top is a flame top regardless of the 'A' factor; and secondly, everyone is going to prefer the AAAA top.

That should at least have 'birdseye' and 'spalted' as options... and whether it's AAAA or AA is really uncircumstantial.

Hmm..not sure if spalted should be an option. It's lumber that has incipient decay

black staining and sometimes a brown fungi as well. Kiln drying usually kills the

fungi . If it's sealed well with poly urethane or whatever, that should stop any

residual fungi from continuing it's work.

BTW, I don't think that any of the Gibson products use spalted lumber. I have only

seen that on Ag**le brand guitars so far.

Hmm..not sure if spalted should be an option.

BTW' date=' I don't think that any of the Gibson products use spalted lumber. [/quote']

Well...Mr Chen asked for preference of figured (wood-)tops. He didn't mention it had to be an Gibson.

Well...Mr Chen asked for preference of figured (wood-)tops. He didn't mention it had to be an Gibson.

Ok, Ok. If we are including any LP brand/clone out there, including EPis and Gibson's then spalted

might as well be added. What about the sparkle tops? Silver and Gold. Green and Red?

And maybe there is a MOT (pearloid) top as well. If we include wild paint jobs, flames,

sunbursts, and other popular graphics (bulleyes/camo) are in as well. Any design or graphic

to make a visual statement.

Me? I prefer the elegance of ebony or the traditional goldtops..although these are

getting to be bland and mundane with the plethora of tops available these days.

I also like the spotlight special with the walnut stripe and the flamedmaple wings on it...

because I have a couple of those now.

It kinda takes me back to the good ole days when Lester was experimenting. Now in the

late '60s times were simpler then...if you wanted a LP(Gibson only then), you waited for a year or

more and IF you were lucky, maybe you would actual get to play one.

The spalted Agile's are beautiful

Well as they say; Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Traditional woods like figured, quilted and flamed

maple, ribbon stripe mahogany, madagascar rosewood, even walnut have the beauty of

the tree that grew the wood and the mysteries of nature that provided that figured grain.

Spalted wood is an abnormality, a fungus or some kind of decay that infects the tree and eventually

kills it. Yes, the emphasis of the grain variations can be interesting, depending on how the wood is sawn,

but years ago, that kind of wood would (probably) be cast off for firewood. However, at least the

rest of the guitar brand you mention, is made of mahogany, so it's only the thin top layer.

If we are going to go into exotic abnormal guitar woods..what about worm wood, with those

nice holes? If the voids are filled with clear plastic, it can also have an interesting visual

effect.

If we are going to go into exotic abnormal guitar woods..what about worm wood' date=' with those

nice holes? If the voids are filled with clear plastic, it can also have an interesting visual

effect.

[/quote']

Hey Carverman...how about this one for visual effect? A preliminary design of my natural Bullseye Junior(The Less Poultree). I'm going for a nice rounded tone...what do you think?

LP-tree.jpg

Hey Carverman...how about this one for visual effect? A preliminary design of my natural Bullseye Junior(The Less Poultree). I'm going for a nice rounded tone...what do you think?

Now THAT is original! The tone would certainly go out like ripples on water.

However, the end grain slab cut may pose some problems for you, if you are planning on actually doing that.

I would recommend a 3/4 inch layer for the carved? top (do juniors have carved tops like the regular LPs or

just a flat top?)... and mahogany or some other appropriate wood for the body which would support the

top and keep pieces of the growth rings from breaking off if you bump it accidently...

we don't want the same effect as ..ahem!...a certain brand of LPs where users (or abusers)

complain about broken necks.

sorry for the dumb question but what's the difference between a flame an quilted top?

Not a dumb question at all. Look here for some nice "wood"samples...http://www.edroman.com/customshop/wood/main.htm

However' date=' the end grain slab cut may pose some problems for you, if you are planning on actually doing that.

I would recommend a 3/4 inch layer for the carved? top (do juniors have carved tops like the regular LPs or

just a flat top?)... and mahogany or some other appropriate wood for the body which would support the

top and keep pieces of the growth rings from breaking off if you bump it accidently...

[/quote']

I'm just going for aestetics here. Just the 3/4 inch top with the 'backslab' holding the grain together. No carving. Much of the Juniors appeal is in its simplicity.

Wouldn't it be funny if this top wouldn't have any decremental effect on tone?

For outragious visual effect I've contemplated the use of an old cracked up piece and fill the cracks with epoxy resin but I feel that would influence tone in a bad way.

Not a dumb question at all. Look here for some nice "wood"samples...http://www.edroman.com/customshop/wood/main.htm

Thanks! So it looks to me like the flame top has more parrallel striations across the body while the quilt is a more irregular pattern more like wrinkles on a blanket? Thus the name quilt? :-

Thanks! So it looks to me like the flame top has more parrallel striations across the body while the quilt is a more irregular pattern more like wrinkles on a blanket? Thus the name quilt? :-k

Bingo.

Compare a Les Paul Plus (flamed) top to a Les Paul Ultra (quilted) top...

And then there's this effect' date=' somewhere in between:

[img']http://www.marantatech.com/Graphix/body.jpg[/img]

Archived