Gibson Brands Forums

Several questions about the special 2

Mr. E

i have a special 2 and the epi website first said maple top with alder body, then i read somewhere else its alder then basswood, but i think my guitar is plywood... none of the places i went to check for the wood told me the true. the only place where they have mention this is this forum... thnx guys. well... anyways, i want to know if plywood is anygood? i want to upgrade my special 2 thats laying there, but there is always a something that stops me and makes me think. also, if i upgrade it, how to do make the holes in the headstock bigger? i'm thinking of using a drill, but i'm afraid it with make chips that will affect the location of the holes or screw holes.

Also, one last thing, are the vintage nickel gibson style tuners any good?

Help me out, thnx

i have a special 2 and the epi website first said maple top with alder body' date=' then i read somewhere else its alder then basswood, but i think my guitar is plywood... none of the places i went to check for the wood told me the true. the only place where they have mention this is this forum... thnx guys. well... anyways, i want to know if plywood is anygood? i want to upgrade my special 2 thats laying there, but there is always a something that stops me and makes me think. also, if i upgrade it, how to do make the holes in the headstock bigger? i'm thinking of using a drill, but i'm afraid it with make chips that will affect the location of the holes or screw holes.

Also, one last thing, are the vintage nickel gibson style tuners any good?

Help me out, thnx[/quote']

Is plywood any good? Well, it's better than plastic. But not as good as a solid piece of wood.

I wouldn't put any money toward upgrading a special 2 myself. To me, it wouldn't be worth it. I would save that money toward buying a better guitar. And if you do decide to upgrade (which BTW you never actually said what you wanted to do) I would have a pro do it. You sound like somebody who needs to learn a lot more about the guitar. I don't mean to sound insulting and apoligize if I do.

Save your money and get an LP or G400. You'll be glad you did.

Is plywood any good? Well' date=' it's better than plastic. But not as good as a solid piece of wood.

I wouldn't put any money toward upgrading a special 2 myself. To me, it wouldn't be worth it. I would save that money toward buying a better guitar. And if you do decide to upgrade (which BTW you never actually said what you wanted to do) I would have a pro do it. You sound like somebody who needs to learn a lot more about the guitar. I don't mean to sound insulting and apoligize if I do.

Save your money and get an LP or G400. You'll be glad you did.[/quote']

It's really just a body with nothing and i just want to add pickups, tuners, etc. i think i could do it... and if i upgrade i think i'm going with an ibanez jtk2 (i dont like sherder guitars) or an squier... i have had bad experiances with epiphones...

Yeah, the web site claims they are basswood but I doubt that info is accurate. The 2007 catalog also lists the body material as basswood, but the older catalogs say 'laminated alder/maple' which is a fancy way of saying 'plywood'. I have yet to see a Special II that wasn't made of plywood. You can usually see the plies on the sides of the guitar, even through the thick polyester paint. Otherwise check in the cavities and you'll be able to tell if it's solid wood or plywood.

That being said, it's not the end of the world.

Don't try to enlarge the tuner holes with a drill. The drill tends to suck into the wood and mangles up the finish as it goes through the other side. I've found that countersink bits work really well for enlarging holes in wood. A 3/8" bit should do the job; ask for one at your local hardware store. Don't tell the sales guy what you are doing with it if you want to avoid being harangued for half an hour as to why that's the wrong thing to do...

Yeah, the web site claims they are basswood but I doubt that info is accurate. The 2007 catalog also lists the body material as basswood, but the older catalogs say 'laminated alder/maple' which is a fancy way of saying 'plywood'. I have yet to see a Special II that wasn't made of plywood. You can usually see the plies on the sides of the guitar, even through the thick polyester paint. Otherwise check in the cavities and you'll be able to tell if it's solid wood or plywood.
Yup it's plywood, but i think i'm going to mod it still... another question, what are junior specials made of?

Don't try to enlarge the tuner holes with a drill. The drill tends to suck into the wood and mangles up the finish as it goes through the other side. I've found that countersink bits work really well for enlarging holes in wood. A 3/8" bit should do the job; ask for one at your local hardware store. Don't tell the sales guy what you are doing with it if you want to avoid being harangued for half an hour as to why that's the wrong thing to do...
I thinki i'm not, i'm going to use vintage nickel gibson style tuners from guitarfetish, do you know if they are good?

Yup it's plywood' date=' but i think i'm going to mod it still... another question, what are junior specials made of?[/quote']

You mean Juniors. It's either a Junior (1 pickup) or a Special (2 pickups). The Juniors are usually plywood too although every now and then you'll find one of the original P-90 models made of solid 'mahogany':

cherryjunior.jpg

I thinki i'm not' date=' i'm going to use vintage nickel gibson style tuners from guitarfetish, do you know if they are good?[/quote']

I'm sure they are fine.

I meant the cheap junior special from epi' date=' from $99 to $110 price tag[/quote']

It's called a Junior. The seller might be calling it a 'Junior Special' but there's no such animal. And those Juniors are plywood.

It varies. It seems that the cherry ones had to be 'mahogany' due to the transparent finish. The black ones and TV yellow ones that I've seen were all plywood... so anything's possible.

Thanks man, means I'll pass on the blackie I found for 100.

P-90 sized rout isn't worth the damage and 140 shipping.

Probably ply.

I checked a couple of Special II's this moring. One, a Samick Indonesia '07, looks to be basswood. So I checked an older one, a SaeJung from '05, and it's plywood. So it looks like that catalogs/website are accurate after all; they must have switched sometime in 2005/2006.

Archived