Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Sobe

olman

Does any one know anything about the Sobe ?

I know they were a promotional item. http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar.php?ID=1389 Any way Seems like pretty hot pickups. Van Halen type stripes, Lizard headstock. Very interesting guitar. I picked one up at a yard sale today. The Guy wanted $40.00. I talked him down to $25.00. Great condition. It`ll probably take some tweaking, but plays nice as it is. Probably original strings. I saw one review on it at Harmony Central. The Guy said the pickups were made in U S A I know it was made in China in 2004. Any info greatly appreciated. Can`t find much on the net. Mahogany neck and body. Do you think I paid too much? GLOAT

Kevin, I live in Freeport. He don`t have anything left. SoBe is an energy drink. I agree its pretty ugly,but couldn`t pass it up for the price. It sounds pretty good, in fact I like it with the tone knobs backed off otherwise it`s too crisp for my taste. Of course it will need new strings and a decent setup. Has a 60`s styly neck like my Classic Plus. This makes my third Epi . If nothing else I`ve been gassing for an Epi valve jr. May try to trade it. At any rate whatever I decide, I cant go wrong on this one. I was in such a hurry to get out of there, that I forgot to ask him if he had the gig bag that came with it, I might go back this evening to see. I have some connections at GC that might work out on the valve Jr. for a little cash extra. any way I`m ahead of the game on this one. This guy said his son won it in a skateboard contest Still wating for more specific info on the specs. Can`t seem to find much on the net.

Ah I think I`ll leave it alone, As far as i know they are the stock pickups. They say Epiphone on the back. They came new with Zebras. New strings and setup this morning. I like the way the ugly thing sounds and plays DFon`t call my guitar ugly. It can`t help it. I`m old and ugly myself.

Hey I know someone that just moved to freeport recently..lol... small world i guess..for the price you paid who cares what it looks like, especially if you like how it sounds.. just wish i'd paid that for my studio...tried selling that recently and only offer i had was for $100....even with the neck repair $100 aint worth me selling it..

The sobe was discontinued in mid 2006 i believe.

They're not super hard to find, but they'll be overpriced on ebay.

The zebra pups are a bit hotter than the pups on most studios, but little difference between the sounds, almost like a custom with two bridge pups.

Not a bad player.

I'd put in some GFS pups and redo all the wiring, but that's become a standard for me.

A graphite nut and roller bridge might be cool too.

The pickups in this guitar are very hot. I`ve been looking for that tone at the expense of buying pickups on reccomendations from others. It blows my LP classic away with 57 classics, And a plus in the bridge.,I`ve been thinking along the lines of something hotter in my Classic. 57`s are kind of laid back for my taste. I have a Joe Pass for laid back. Damn, I like this ugly old guitar. Maybe I`ll trade my strat for an Epi valve Jr. stack. I have a Strat copy that I like better than my MIM. With presently 8 guitars, I think I have all tones I like covered. I have decided to Keep this thing. Plays very well with my present setup I wonder what picups gibson makes for the same hotness.

Olman222

congrats on a great deal on your new guitar. You have proven now and then we can still find a great deal if we just look close and get really lucky.

Try ohming the p/us out and see what they say...maybe able to find a set out there that match up.

I remember reading about that guitar and seems they did say something about which p/us were used, but I can't remember and can't find it on the web either.

iansmitchell...yes we all get it you like GFS pickups and I don't think on almost every post you put up or reply too you have to say something about them...lol As much as you brag on them I would think you must own stock in the company. btw which part of florida you in? I was in the orlando area but just a month ago moved back up to the panhandle area ( Ft Walton/Pensacola) were I grew up at.

Capt

• 3 weeks later...

Archived