Gibson Brands Forums

Howard Robert's model 4 sale on CL

snookelputz

If you remove the inverted pyramid from the center of the tailpiece, it is the basic trapeze of any cheap archtop, all the old Kay's, Silvertones, etc. used either the same or similar tailpiece. Epiphone clearly thought this was a step above the run-of-the-mill guitar and gave it a distinctive touch there, without spending a lot of money on a fancier design. I think its a nice variation on the standard gypsy-oval-soundhole-acoustic-with-a-floating-pickup-on-the-pickguard-or-neck that you see so much of. :- :- :-

Somehow I like the tailpiece on that. I don't know much about archtops' date=' is it a regular tailpiece also used on other models? [/quote']

Well it's a beautiful Samick version of the original Kalamazoo made classic.

The tailpiece is not the same as used on the Kalamazoo Howard Roberts made

by Gibson back in the late 60s/early 70s. Those had a ES-175 tp which is

not available as a general rule outside of the Gibson factory.

That's an attractive guitar (HR, not ZW -- I'm not into Rhino horn, except as a medication). I guess it's "wine red". I think they were available in red and natural top w/walnut stain back and sides.

If I hadn't just sworn an almighty oath that I have all the guitars I need ( and I do, **really** I do) I'd be interested.

Phew. For a moment there' date=' reading the topic, I got the impression that somebody was selling a guitar that actually belonged to some guy named Howard Robert. '](*,)

Nice jazz box.

The apostrophe policeman has struck again!

Way to be vigilant!

:)

I e-mailed the guy yesterday just to compliment him on the guitar. Told him I just went through a guitar transition and really not in a position to buy another at that value, but it's an eye catcher. I had a Washburn that had the same shape and sold it in a house cleaning of acoustics.

I should have asked him the color, it's hard to tell if it's picking up color from a reflection.

Didn't ask if he would ship - don't need that to add to the temptation.

Guys name is Rob if any of you want to e-mail him. Be careful - high GAS content.

One of my favorite guitarists, Michael Timmons of Cowboy Junkies, used a Howard Roberts for many years. Saw him playing it in Toronto about eight years ago. There were many incarnations of this guitar, through Gibson and Epiphone. A very unique guitar.

One of my favorite guitarists' date=' Michael Timmons of Cowboy Junkies, used a Howard Roberts for many years. Saw him playing it in Toronto about eight years ago. There were many incarnations of this guitar, through Gibson and Epiphone. A very unique guitar.[/quote']

Someone mentioned to me Taj Mahal use to use one.

Archived