Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
timmyinpajamas

lp standard lp studio

is there like a big difference between the two ? i dont mind paying the price for a standard plain top but i dont like the ivory color binding and pickguard and pickup holder .. i like how the studio looks but im afraid ill be sacraficing to much sound for looks .. is the studio that bad ? for example the goth studio or the articwhite studio

I have a 2004 Chinese Studio, which I bought new after reading A LOT of reviews on it... With everything stock, it has a great sound, but not QUITE the Les Paul sound(Epi studios don't have the maple cap, which actually makes them closer to Customs than Standards -Customs are all mahogany and Standards have maple caps on mahogany backs-)... And I'll also add, the Studio is NOT bad at all, in fact it's a fine guitar!

Okay, I forgot to mention that the open coil pickups will change the sound a little, but I'm pretty sure they are the same pickup, just open coil. This will make them a little hotter, but not a lot.

Rodela, I don't know were you got the idea that epiphone's had maple caps, but none of them have maple caps. They are either mahogany or alder caps, with a thin maple veneer which doesn't alter the sound.

Well, Epi specs the Standards as having maple caps, though I probably am a little naive in believing that so easily... But in case the maple IS there, it would affect tone, right? Anyways, the Studio is a fine guitar with not so much bling, and if I AM mistaken(most likely I am... :-) the cosmetics would be the biggest difference... A lot of Epi players swap the original pickups anyway...

Well' date=' Epi specs the Standards as having maple caps, though I probably am a little naive in believing that so easily... But in case the maple IS there, it would affect tone, right? Anyways, the Studio is a fine guitar with not so much bling, and if I AM mistaken(most likely I am... ](*,)) the cosmetics would be the biggest difference... A lot of Epi players swap the original pickups anyway...[/quote']

The Studio was designed as a guitar that players could buy for less to use and leave in the studio without worrying about losing their prized '59 Les Paul to theft or damage while retaining the same sound. It has no binding but is made of the same materials and specs as the high priced model. Studios are fine guitars. They are just a little less flashy. I like my wine red, Gibby Studio with gold hardware just fine for playability and sound, but I wish they had offered the flametop when I bought it.

On the studio you can see the maple cap on certain finishes if it is there. There will be a difference in the shade of the wood. If there is binding present, you might not be able to detect it, but you can see it with a pickup removed.

The Epiphone specs on Musicians Friend list an all mahogany body with carved top for the studio, a mahogany body with flamed maple VENEER for the standard, and the same for the custom. If it is a painted body, it's an all mahogany body. Veneer is thin, about 1/32" to 1/16" , a cap on a Gibson is 1/2" in the center, carved down to 1/4" at the edges.

Studios are fine guitars. They are just a little less flashy. I like my wine red' date=' Gibby Studio with gold hardware just fine for playability and sound, but I wish they had offered the flametop when I bought it.

[/quote']

Did you see those awesome looking new Gibson flametop Studios?

And winered and gold hardware? So much for less flashy!;-)

oh yea .. also .. does anyone know if a gibson les paul pickguard will fit perfect on an epiphone studio

Probably not at all. The pickup spacing is not the same and Epiphone has metric everything.

Hi TIP

I think you will love your new LP Studio...I have one ( EE made in Feb of '07..worn brown color) it plays and sounds great. Lots of guys on here talk about changing the pups, pots and caps out...think you should try it stock for a bit because I am happy with how mine sounds, plays and feels. The Studio LPs have a bit hotter/brighter pick ups in them, that I am guessing comes from them being open pick ups. It did need a bit of setting up when I got it and was well worth the 20 bucks my guy charged! Just make sure to check the jack plug out and tighten it...was the only thing I had any problems with.

Congrats on your new guitar and enjoy.

Capt

so i got it .. and i LOVE it ... its way more comfortable then the g400 i had ... i have a set of strings waiting to be put on =D .. i really like the look of a pearloid pickguard .. so can anyone tell me where i can get one that will fit my guitar .. thanks

The studio ain't a bad axe at all.

Heavy, yep.

The neck is good, construction is solid.

The electronics? Not so much.

New pups, wiring upgrade, good soldering, for under 100 in upgrades you can make this guitar seriously compete with the 1000 dollar boys.

The studio ain't a bad axe at all.

Heavy' date=' yep.

The neck is good, construction is solid.

The electronics? Not so much.

New pups, wiring upgrade, good soldering, for under 100 in upgrades you can make this guitar seriously compete with the 1000 dollar boys.[/quote']

i can barely get one pup for a hundred .. lol .. i really want to get the 57 classics and the plus

i really like the look of a pearloid pickguard .. so can anyone tell me where i can get one that will fit my guitar .. thanks
Depending on what day of the week it is, Matiac may or may not be using his...

i can barely get one pup for a hundred .. lol .. i really want to get the 57 classics and the plus

Not all pups cost gibsons.

Actually, nothing that's mass produced costs as much as gibson.

GFS sells pups for $30-40, some less.

Rockfield sells for $50.

Seymour Duncan for $75.

EMG sells pickup+all necessary wiring for $105.

GFS pickups are seriously great.

You don't need gibson pups unless you're unsatisfied with others.

As for wiring, do that first. Guitarfetish.com sells the les paul wiring upgrade for 22 bucks, good pots, way better caps than stock, a new switch, even a new jack. I don't know how they do it for that but it's quality stuff.

57 classics are great, but I don't think though the same amp you'll really even hear the difference between them and GFS vintage '59s.

thanks iansmitchell for the info .. i will probably try out the gfs ... any recommendations ?? .. i play mostly clean stuff .. sometimes ill throw a lil distortion .. i play almost every genre .. but mostly soft alternative rock type of stuff .. thanks in advance .. also does the wiring upgrade improve sound or just quaility ?

thanks iansmitchell for the info .. i will probably try out the gfs ... any recommendations ?? .. i play mostly clean stuff .. sometimes ill throw a lil distortion .. i play almost every genre .. but mostly soft alternative rock type of stuff .. thanks in advance .. also does the wiring upgrade improve sound or just quaility ?

My personal suggestions:

Vintage '59

Mean 90

Crunchy PAT

The crunchy pat probably isn't for you, it's a copy of the dimarzio super distortion.

The mean 90 is a great one for the P-90 bite and growl, cleans do work, yes, but it's great for blues, early rock n roll, and slide.

The vintage '59 is most versatile for Rock of all kinds, I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

The wiring upgrade will take the take the 'mud' out of your sound(more highs, clearer mids), the difference in control and functionality is great as well. Quality parts are there for a reason. They improve sound.

For really clean cleans, and maybe some versatility, you could write GFS and they'll put 2 push-pull pots in your wiring upgrade if you ask, and that'll allow you some more thin strat/tele sounds by splitting the individual coils of the vintage '59s. Nice touch, little harder to wire, but worth it.

My personal suggestions:

Vintage '59

Mean 90

Crunchy PAT

The crunchy pat probably isn't for you' date=' it's a copy of the dimarzio super distortion.

The mean 90 is a great one for the P-90 bite and growl, cleans do work, yes, but it's great for blues, early rock n roll, and slide.

The vintage '59 is most versatile for Rock of all kinds, I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

The wiring upgrade will take the take the 'mud' out of your sound(more highs, clearer mids), the difference in control and functionality is great as well. Quality parts are there for a reason. They improve sound.

For really clean cleans, and maybe some versatility, you could write GFS and they'll put 2 push-pull pots in your wiring upgrade if you ask, and that'll allow you some more thin strat/tele sounds by splitting the individual coils of the vintage '59s. Nice touch, little harder to wire, but worth it.[/quote']

very good info . im striving to get something versatile.. so im going to go ahead and get the vintage '59 and the upgraded wiring kit .. i can probably do without the push pull as that will probably be to complex for me .. thanks again .. wish me luck ..

very good info . im striving to get something versatile.. so im going to go ahead and get the vintage '59 and the upgraded wiring kit .. i can probably do without the push pull as that will probably be to complex for me .. thanks again .. wish me luck ..

Good luck man.

Put some youtube vids up.

This forum needs to start hosting sound clips.

is there like a big difference between the two ? i dont mind paying the price for a standard plain top but i dont like the ivory color binding and pickguard and pickup holder .. i like how the studio looks but im afraid ill be sacraficing to much sound for looks .. is the studio that bad ? for example the goth studio or the articwhite studio

It depends on what years we're talking about. Studios might have a thinner / lighter body. A lot of the differences will be aesthetic. Studios are far less likely to have a veneer that gives the guitar the look of having a maple top.

The main difference is the price.