Gibson Brands Forums

1966 LE G-400 in "silverburst"

AgIdoc

i just purchased a 1966 LE G-400 last month in heritage cherry, which i LOVE.

but now here it is in "silverburst". pretty dang cool...havent seen this yet in any SG:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-Standard-S.O.R-Electric-Guitar?sku=512455

what do you guys think? i think i might have bought this instead if it had been an option to me. probably not, but maybe...

Looks like they're making those puppies at Unsung. You did better with your cherry one' date=' an EE if I'm not mistaken.[/quote']

Agreed.

Poor knob placement on those MF pics. If that's your guitar in the avatar- much better!

Silverburst just doesn't do it for me.

Congratulations on a great guitar!

whats wrong with unsung?

Well' date=' for one thing, Unsung never managed to figure out where the contols are supposed to be located. Sometimes they tend to be a bit on the heavy side (8 lbs for an SG?). Other than that, they're quite OK; I have a couple myself. However, the more EE G-400s I come across, the more convinced I am that they are the best of the best.

EE on the left; Unsung on the right.

[img']http://www.marantatech.com/Graphix/G400knobs.jpg[/img]

Well' date=' for one thing, Unsung never managed to figure out where the contols are supposed to be located. Sometimes they tend to be a bit on the heavy side (8 lbs for an SG?). Other than that, they're quite OK; I have a couple myself. However, the more EE G-400s I come across, the more convinced I am that they are the best of the best.

oh ok

I'm not going to lie' date=' that silverburst SG is probably one of the ugliest guitars I've ever seen. I have a friend who loves the silverburst Les Paul, and that is only slightly better.[/quote']

I don't like the feeling of being colorblind. The silverburst just looks like an old B&W picture to me. Maybe they appeal to conservative Goth types.

Yep like the silver burst (no I'm not a Goth), just like the colour, however I would not give up my Cherry though.........

Knobs are a bit off yes but isn't it for playing ??

Don't we buy our Epi's because they are great guitars, looks help that is for sure...................

Cheers.

RR

I'll be in the minority here and say I think it looks pretty cool for what it is... Like something that jumped out of a black and white TV show. At least Epi is varying the color scheme one iota. Probably would look better with a Maestro.

Looks like they're making those puppies at Unsung. You did better with your cherry one' date=' an EE if I'm not mistaken.[/quote']

mine is in fact an EE. lucked out i guess b/c i bought it before i discovered this forum...

and yeah, i'm reeeeealy likin it.

I'll be in the minority here and say I think it looks pretty cool for what it is... Like something that jumped out of a black and white TV show. At least Epi is varying the color scheme one iota. Probably would look better with a Maestro.

I like it too but also think it would look better with a Maestro. Hint, Hint Epiphone for next CS run of these.

FYI - Gibson knob and toggle placement varies on SG's over the years. Note the links to guitar images below:

1961 SG Standard

Current SG Standard

1970's SG Standard

While they should be consistent, they are not necessarily "wrong."

Archived