Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Std + w/ GFS Crunchy PATs

Aubie923

I recieved my Chrunchy PATs today and got them installed.

DSC00144-1.jpg

DSC00145.jpg

I am very pleased with the sound so far. With volume and tone at 10 they are capable of great sounding distortion for modern rock. (ex. 3 Doors Down, Nickelback) However if you roll the volume and tone back just a little they become very "vintage" sounding. They are also surprisingly clear and not muddy at all like the stock pick ups were. I will update more when I get a chance to play it again later this week. So far I am well pleased!

and there I was, thinking the website had a typo because the acronym PAF has always meant "Patent Applied For" and was the label applied to all humbucking pickups of the type created by Seth Lover when working for Gibson. Whew! Nice to have that cleared up.

'PAFs'?

A little too much zebra for my tastes but way cool nonetheless. Bet you're finding a whole new world of tone. Congratulations.

If you go to the GFS website (humbuckers)' date=' Jay explains the reason for using "PAT" vs "PAF".

(Of course, PAT doesn't really mean "patented" these days either, because what

is the sense in patenting pickups which were already patented...hope this

isn't confusing too many forum readers...anyway...)

It's all in the interpretation. He's using PAT to stand for "PATented"

that to represent a[b'] similar but not exact [/b]legally acceptable version of G*bs*n's

PAF (patent applied for) which has expired many years ago, but has become

the "politically correct buzz word" for boutique p_up manufacturers these days.

and there I was' date=' thinking the website had a typo because the acronym PAF has always meant "Patent Applied For" and was the label applied to all humbucking pickups of the type created by Seth Lover when working for Gibson. Whew! Nice to have that cleared up.

[/quote']

The interesting thing with the original PAF humbuckers was that the wrong patent

number was used. Obviously a honest mistake, but makes you think...if it was hard

to come up with the original formula, make sure that the competition is confused

for awhile as you leave them in the dust with some fantastic pickups on some

great guitars.

Archived