Gibson Brands Forums

Loose wire in my LP

FloyDZeD

Alright, so my Epi Les Paul had a scratchy tone pot for the bridge pickup, so I unscrewed the back cover, and very lightly touched a wire, and it came off.

Here's the pots, etc.

DSCF0427.jpg

And here's the wire.

DSCF0430s.jpg

Now my question is: Should I take it back to Sam Ash, where I got it YESTERDAY? The only thing is it's about 60 miles away or so. Or should I resolder it myself, and, if I do this, where do I resolder it? Directly on the pot, or what?

I'd simply take it back.

From the looks of it the cavity has a crack where the screw was,

and that soldering job is crap.

If it was a new guitar definitely take it back for exchange,

if it was used go back and raise some cain and get the darn thing fixed.

Another thing noted is the wiring.

No Quick connector?

What year is this thing anyways?

Looks like the shield for the black (going to/from the 3 way) not properly soldered to the case?

Pretty poor soldering job. Is this the new factory putting these out?

Well I tend to agree with the other forum members, that it isn't up to snuff as far

as quality control..but it's only a shield wire and it can be soldered back on.

The decision is up to you. Is the action and other parts ok, or is there other issues?

Looks like the shield for the black (going to/from the 3 way) not properly soldered to the case?

Pretty poor soldering job. Is this the new factory putting these out?

Well I tend to agree with the other forum members' date=' that it isn't up to snuff as far

as quality control..but it's only a shield wire and it can be soldered back on.

The decision is up to you. Is the action and other parts ok, or is there other issues?[/quote']

Everything else is fine, other than the scratchy pot. So, where I resolder this, just directly on the pot, or what.

Everything else is fine' date=' other than the scratchy pot. So, where I resolder this, just directly on the pot, or what.[/quote']

Shields should always be soldered to the pot cases. And the pot cases should all be connected with ground wire

(solid) or woven (like shield wire). As far as the scratchy pot, it's a sign that you are

going to have some trouble with those pots, but you can spray it with some contact

spray..(Radio shack may have some) or whatever it's called these days.

I have found that the oem asian pots are pretty much dubious quality on a some

of the MIK Epis. Exchanging that guitar for another may not necessarily alleviate

scratch pots.

Here's the guitar' date=' excuse the crappy camera.

[[/quote']

Well it looks like a nice Epi LP Standard 'burst. 60 miles each way?

I dunno..if it was mine, I just rip out the crappy wires and pots and put in some good vintage

Gibby wire, a good 3 way, CTS pots (or Alpha), maybe some better

p_ups eventually, and make 'er wail!

You might just have a keeper, if you want to put some effort and a few bucks into it.

I have found that some of mine used or out of the box, had something to be desired,

but now they seem to be pretty good after some time and cash invested in each one.

Well it looks like a nice Epi LP Standard 'burst. 60 miles each way?

I dunno..if it was mine' date=' I just rip out the crappy wires and pots and put in some good vintage

Gibby wire, a good 3 way, CTS pots (or Alpha), maybe some better

p_ups eventually, and make 'er wail!

You might just have a keeper, if you want to put some effort and a few bucks into it.

I have found that some of mine used or out of the box, had something to be desired,

but now they seem to be pretty good after some time and cash invested in each one.[/quote']

Well, I got the wire resoldered, and now it plays again. Someday I will rewire her (and get some new pots), but for now I'm just happy it's working. Anyways, how much do you think it'd cost to get this thing rewired, excluding pickups?

Well' date=' I got the wire resoldered, and now it plays again. Someday I will rewire her (and get some new pots), but for now I'm just happy it's working. Anyways, how much do you think it'd cost to get this thing rewired, excluding pickups?[/quote']

Here's some places to get parts..

You CAN get the Lp wiring kits from Stew-Mac (#0133 for standard length shafts) which

should fit your Epi Les Paul, for around $33 + shipping..if you want to tackle the rewire

yourself. I believe they supply Alpha pots, .020uf ceramic disc caps and some wire,

but I'm not sure if it's the vintage cloth wire or just the modern equivalent.

The vintage wire is $23 for a 50 ft roll which seems to be their minimum and you only

need about 4 feet inside most guitars. ](*,)

You can buy the pots, vintage wire, pkg of ceramic 0.02 caps,and switch from them individually for $50,

but that gives you some mediocre caps and don't know about the switch, (not switchcraft) but probably

ok. The shipping/handling is another expense so you may be looking at closer to $60-$65.

IMO, I've always got the best deal from guitarpartsresource. They offer the vintage style G*bson LP wiring

kit with CTS pots, switchcraft jack/switch, vintage wire and Sprague orange drop caps

(WKLP-VNT) for (approx. $49.**) plus shipping. That should upgrade your LP

to the same wiring quality as most G*bson LPs.

If you decide to go that way, treat your Epi LP and yourself to the traditional and reliable wiring.

BTW, if you decide to do push-pulls, then you will need 4 conductor wiring + shield

to coil split the humbuckers with Alpha- push-pulls, so you should make your decision

on whether you want to do that ( install boutique p_ups with 4 wires)

before hand. In that case, you may want to order the additional 4 wire (WR-4Con)

as well with the kit (for future use). I don't believe CTS makes a push-pull, so you will have to

order individual push pulls for the tone pots if you upgrade to 4 wire p_ups.

If upgrading directly to 4 wire for coil splitting:It should work out about the same (more or less),

but you would need to order the parts, (switch, jack, 4 cond wire and pots) separately.:-k

Hope this gives you some idea.

Archived