Gibson Brands Forums

Stupid question, but I need a quick reply.

Suicidehummer

Will these knobs fit on my SG?

http://www.allparts.com/store/knobs-plastic-knobs-pk-3242-023,Product.asp

It says it "fits USA split shaft pots".

And although I'm pretty sure this won't fit:

http://www.allparts.com/store/tailpieces-tremolo-tailpieces-tp-3680-001,Product.asp

But could I get a local guitar store to re-drill and fill in the holes to put it on?

Will these knobs fit on my SG?

http://www.allparts.com/store/knobs-plastic-knobs-pk-3242-023' date='Product.asp

It says it "fits USA split shaft pots".

And although I'm pretty sure this won't fit:

http://www.allparts.com/store/tailpieces-tremolo-tailpieces-tp-3680-001,Product.asp

But could I get a local guitar store to re-drill and fill in the holes to put it on?

[/quote']

The knobs won't fit, you need metric not USA.

The tailpiece should fit. If you want to measure, the trem's a little less than 7".

Good luck.

Will they be too small? I ordered them literally seconds ago, so it's too late. If they're too small, then I could carve a little out of the inside, right? Do you know where I could find some metric Witch Hat knobs?

And If I need metric knobs, won't I need a metric vibrato tailpiece? Or is that one metric?

Thanks for the help!

Will they be too small? I ordered them literally seconds ago' date=' so it's too late. If they're too small, then I could carve a little out of the inside, right? Do you know where I could find some metric Witch Hat knobs?

And If I need metric knobs, won't I need a metric vibrato tailpiece? Or is that one metric?

Thanks for the help!

[/quote']

It's not a matter of size, it's the splines (ridges) that are different. The USA pots have finer (and more) splines than imported pots:

pots.jpg

You can force them on, but it's not recommended. The knob can break, the shaft of the pot could break, and even if you get them on you'll have a helluva time getting them off.

I'm pretty sure these are metric, I think these are the ones I use, but you might want to drop them an email to make sure.

The tailpiece doesn't matter, there are no fitted parts. It's just like a trapeze or a Bigsby tp, it has a hinge that screws in the side where the strap button is, and three small screws into the top of the body.

Bon Chance.

Well, the knobs are on their way to me, so what should I do? Is there nothing I can do with those knobs? I don't suppose I could send them back because I bought the wrong ones, right? You think they'd fit my Squier?

I was under the impression that USA = Everything else, and Metric = Epi...

eor: Those are Tele knobs, so they say Volume instead of Vol., and although that's a slight difference, I'm picky and it would bother me.

jerrymac: Thank you! So there's no chance I'm getting those knobs on without breaking something?

Thanks for the link, I would've bought those if I wasn't so excited to get the damn things.

What happens to the holes from the huge poles going into the body from the old Stopbar? You make it sound easy enough to do at home, do you think I could do it myself? Would I have to make holes for the three screws, and if so with what?

I'll try to find a way to contact that website and I'll ask them. Thanks again for the help.

This may seem a brutal thing to do, but I have been drilling out all the knobs I fit these days with a 6mm drill. (clamp the drill bit in a vice and very GENTLEY turn the knob onto it). This way any knob fits any shaft - but you do have to be careful. It was not just a matter of getting knobs to fit, I don't like the force needed to fit and remove knobs from the shafts, even with the right fit - it can't do the pots any good, and the knobs only need to be on tight enough to move the wiper over the pot.

Old Bob

I don't have a vice or anything' date=' but I have pliers. Where could I get a 6mm drill bit? I'm 15, so I don't know any of that stuff.[/quote']

Wow, don't they have "shop" class any more?

You can get drill bits at Home Depot, Lowe's, Sears or a hardware store.

Yeah, but the class was filled up pretty quickly.

Do I need a drill, or can I just hold the bit with the pliers and twist it? Wouldn't that wreck the ridges inside the knob that jerrymac was talking about?

BTW, didn't I mention my questions would be stupid?

Hi Hum, Your questions are not stupid. And you should be commended for trying to educate yourself. Before you start drilling and hammering on your new knobs, you'll notice the pots have a split in them if you gently squeeze them together you can sometimes fit a tight knob....if that does'nt work gently pry the little split back open with a small screwdriver. Good luck

And you should be commended for trying to educate yourself.

Stupid questions are cool. We all ask them. Someone said something like' date=' "better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake". Anyway, it [i']is[/i] good that you're trying to do things yourself. And you will make mistakes and you will break things - but that's where you'll (eventually) become truly clever, to get yourself out of a jam (or just get over the gouge you just put in your precious baby, etc.).

Another way to ask stupid questions begins with you first coming up with your best answer. Then, your post might look something like this:

I want to do (whatever)

I think that (whatever) would work

What do you guys think?

If your solution was right, you get to feel smart. If not, you'll get suggestions (unless it's a real doozy, in which case we'll make fun of you for the rest of your life).=P~

I, for one, will rarely reply to a help request that clearly shows that the poster didn't bother doing any research of his own, even a search of this forum.

Good luck with your mods.

Why not wait for them to arrive now, and we'll all review the situation when you can see what the problem really is. I've had Epi stuff fit a Gibson (not the threads though, they are different) when it's not supposed to; and metric bridges not fit Epis when they were guaranteed to fit. By the way ... I'm 63 and have ask questions all the time (I'm a beginner at this guitar business too) and the answers don't get any easier as you get older. You find you're HERE and you want to be THERE, and you have to find a way. I've got a box full of stuff I'm sure was right at the time, but turned out to be wrong. It all comes in useful in the end. Almost the first thing I did was buy Gibson knobs for an Epi DOT. There'll be a way around it.

Bob

jerrymac: Thank you! So there's no chance I'm getting those knobs on without breaking something?

Thanks for the link' date=' I would've bought those if I wasn't so excited to get the damn things.

What happens to the holes from the huge poles going into the body from the old Stopbar? You make it sound easy enough to do at home, do you think I could do it myself? Would I have to make holes for the three screws, and if so with what?

I'll try to find a way to contact that website and I'll ask them. Thanks again for the help.

[/quote']

You might be able to get them on, just don't gorilla them.

The new trem won't cover the holes from the stop tp studs. You'll probably have to pull the stud threads out of the body. The holes will be visible.

Also, watch your pickguard, the left side looks like it might interfere with the trem. It's straightforward, EZ if you have some guitar repairing experience. If not, you might want to have someone do it for you.

You might be able to get them on, just don't gorilla them.

The problem with forcing them on Jerry, is that they are more prone to cracking, especially

the speed knobs. Mine all cracked (over time) when I pushed metric onto CTS (USA splines).

Rather than deal with cracked knobs coming off..I just converted over to metal with set screws.

Not original issue, but solves the problem for me.

You might be able to get them on' date=' just don't gorilla them.

The problem with forcing them on Jerry, is that they are more prone to cracking, especially

the speed knobs. Mine all cracked (over time) when I pushed metric onto CTS (USA splines).

Rather than deal with cracked knobs coming off..I just converted over to metal with set screws.

Not original issue, but solves the problem for me.

[/quote']

I know that, I initially advised him just to get the correct knobs and gave him a link for them. He doesn't want to do that, he wants to use the knobs he bought. After rejecting my sage advise, he asked me if there was anyway he could get them on, hence my response. Even if he does force them on, they won't sit right.

Why not wait for them to arrive now' date=' and we'll all review the situation when you can see what the problem really is. I've had Epi stuff fit a Gibson (not the threads though, they are different) when it's not supposed to; and metric bridges not fit Epis when they were guaranteed to fit. By the way ... I'm 63 and have ask questions all the time (I'm a beginner at this guitar business too) and the answers don't get any easier as you get older. You find you're HERE and you want to be THERE, and you have to find a way. I've got a box full of stuff I'm sure was right at the time, but turned out to be wrong. It all comes in useful in the end. Almost the first thing I did was buy Gibson knobs for an Epi DOT. There'll be a way around it.

Bob[/quote']

Well, I finally got them yesterday, and they don't fit.

The new trem won't cover the holes from the stop tp studs. You'll probably have to pull the stud threads out of the body. The holes will be visible.

Also' date=' watch your pickguard, the left side looks like it might interfere with the trem. It's straightforward, EZ if you have some guitar repairing experience. If not, you might want to have someone do it for you.[/quote']

How would I pull the stud threads out? Are they more like screws or nails?

And as for the new screws I'm putting in for the TP, if I have to drill into the body for them, I'm just going to have a local store do it.

The PG should be fine, because Angus's SG has the large PG and it fits. And I don't think it goes any father back than the small PG.

lpdeluxe: Thanks for the link, but they don't have any Witch Hat knobs.

I know that' date=' I initially advised him just to get the correct knobs and gave him a link for them. He doesn't want to do that, he wants to use the knobs he bought. After rejecting my sage advise, he asked me if there was anyway he could get them on, hence my response. Even if he does force them on, they won't sit right.[/quote']

Yeah, well I didn't want to waste the $20 I paid for the knobs. I won't force them on. I tried lightly to push them on, but they didn't go. So it looks like now my only choices are to use the 6mm drill bit idea, or if that doesn't work and they get eaten up (i.e. lose all the thread), buy new ones. I actually DID e-mail that company, but they haven't responded.

Damn Epi, make your guitars normal! Although I guess that's why we like them, right?

Archived