Gibson Brands Forums

At the risk of repetition...

matiac

How would one get "swirl marks" out of a poly finish? And would I need to remove all hardware to do the whole thing, or should I just not bother, and write it off to "Charactor"?

There are 'swirl remover' and 'glaze' polishes that ought to do the job... but personally I think your 'character' perspective is the right one.

Yeah, I'm just gonna not bother. I did notice it for the first time last night while cleaning it, and you can't even really see them unless the light hits it just right.

Remove the pickguard and take it to any Auto refinishing shop, they have various machine heads that can polish out scratches verrrryy easily. It won't cost alot or maybe even a favour if you know them well.

It can be "machined out" if you were over here in the UK I could have done it for you no problems!8-[/

Mequiers #9 swirl remover' date=' really does the job.Stan.[/quote']

I'd second that one, Stan!

But, "swirl" marks are the sign it's played, and loved! The super gloss finish

of new guitars (actually) bothers me! LOL! I much prefer the broken in look and

feel, of the finish after some good playing time, and polishing. Now they have

VOS finishes! Great! I actually took some rubbing compound (lightly) to my Riviera, to

knock down the "liquid plastic" shine a bit. But, again, that's just me....to each his own.

The "Blue Bomber" still looks great, though, Matiac.

CB

meguiers works. but unless you use a buffer, it's all elbow grease.

wax also covers..

everytime you wipe it off.. you add swirlies.. every polish every cleaning every dusting with a rag

I do it on the finishes that show them.. like black.. but on my blonde sheri.. you can't find them unless you really want to.

you gotta go through swirlies to hit patina *L*

FWIW, there's a paste that polishes plastic cell phone and other plastic parts that is available. I suppose that it would work well on pickguards. I know, Matiac, that you were talking about the actual poly finish on your guitar. I wouldn't worry about swirls that only show up in reflected light. That's character and it shows that you actually use the guitar you own.

Now, if someone has a polish that gets rid of belt buckle "worm tracks".....

Archived