Gibson Brands Forums

490R 498T good ideal?

LaRouteDu

Even if they're authentic, they might not be the right pickups for you. Or maybe they're the right pickups for you, and not the right pickups for that guitar. Or maybe they'll be exactly what you're after. The only way to really know is to try them out. There are too many variables to say without actually installing them and seeing what happens.

Where I live that'd be a deal for one PU...

Yeah man, that's bargain city right there! I'd get them , and even if they aren't right for the Sherry I'd keep them until I had a guitar they would be good in - Les Paul, SG - somthing like that.

The pickups are the real deal. They were originaly on a Les Paul Studio but somehow the guitar was destroyed in anacident, so there selling the guitar for parts. The pickups are virtuly new. Im very short for money and wanted to do the cheat method of installing new pickups but it seems that the stock pups only have one red wire, am i able to splice the new pups to the old pups?

Hmmm..that may explain the price. Gibson humbuckers have Red = hot, Green + White soldered together, and Black = bare wire = ground for standard wiring; for parallel wiring, they are connected Red + Green soldered together = hot and Black + White + bare soldered together = ground.

It sounds like the pickups have had the leads clipped off. I couldn't tell if they are salvageable.

Hmmm..that may explain the price. Gibson humbuckers have Red = hot' date=' Green + White soldered together, and Black = bare wire = ground for standard wiring; for parallel wiring, they are connected Red + Green soldered together = hot and Black + White + bare soldered together = ground.

[/quote']

IIRC the standard pickups fitted in Gibsons are 2 wires(unless they have switching options like the Page LP).

Hmmm..that may explain the price. Gibson humbuckers have Red = hot' date=' Green + White soldered together, and Black = bare wire = ground for standard wiring; for parallel wiring, they are connected Red + Green soldered together = hot and Black + White + bare soldered together = ground.

It sounds like the pickups have had the leads clipped off. I couldn't tell if they are salvageable. [/quote']

No. Some Gibson aftermarket pickups have four conductor wiring; the factory models have the single shielded wire.

Yes, you can use the 'cheat' method. The center conductor is the 'hot' side and the outside conductor is the ground connection.

At 90 bucks for the pair you should jump all over those suckers.

I dont think they would be to hot. but i would like the sherry to have some UMMP to it. cuz right now it sounds like a guitar in a tin can when it comes to solos and then when i do chords it sounds like im playing a bass but you can hear every string.

I'm currently modding my Joe Pass. When I pulled the neck pickup, it had only one red wire. I assume it is shielded.

There isn't much slack to work with.

I have a set of the pickups you are looking at in my Gubson LP Studio. They are very hot. I'm not sure if they would be suitable in my Sheraton.

For $90 it siunds like a good deal, orovided they are true Gibson's

I'm currently modding my Joe Pass. When I pulled the neck pickup' date=' it had only one red wire. I assume it is shielded.

There isn't much slack to work with.

I have a set of the pickups you are looking at in my Gubson LP Studio. They are very hot. I'm not sure if they would be suitable in my Sheraton.

For $90 it siunds like a good deal, orovided they are true Gibson's

[/quote']

so i cant splice the pups on to my guitar then? Yeah there real deal gibby pups.

Archived