Gibson Brands Forums

Just got my first Epiphone guitar. How'd I do?

Durango Kid

Well, I took the plunge and just recently got my first Epi. It's my first gibson scale guitar and it is really suiting me quite nicely.

There isn't anything more than some pick scratches on the pickguard and I got it for $220.00. I couldn't say no.

I want to put some really nice pups in this before too long. It's okay as is but I'm not really happy with either pup by itself and usually play in the middle position. I want it to sound 'bigger' and 'ballsyer' but not modern. Any recommendations?

Epi1.jpg

While I don't have a Dot and I haven't got those '59 pickups, I agree FloyDZeD etc.

I've heard good things about those pickups.

GFS makes some nice pickups for reasonable prices (I got the FAT PATs in my Epi LP).

A Dot or a G400 will be my next guitar. And probably GFS pickups.

I din't have anything against the stock pickups, just did not have the sound I wanted. What I got gets me closer to "My tone" (no one ever really gets to "Their Tone", but you can have ALOT of fun while going there =D>

Well, maybe they do, but the trip is what counts.

Excellent score. I can see why you couldn't say 'no'.

Well, Gibson mounts a pair of '57 Classics in their 335s, so there's a clue. As mentioned, a pair of GFS Vintage '59s would probably be another good option. If you want even more balls, perhaps the Fat PAF would make sense for the treble position.

Excellent score. I can see why you couldn't say 'no'.

Well' date=' Gibson mounts a pair of '57 Classics in their 335s, so there's a clue. As mentioned, a pair of GFS Vintage '59s would probably be another good option. If you want even more balls, perhaps the Fat PAF would make sense for the treble position.[/quote']

And for a redicoulous amount of "balls", a crunchy PAT.

Hmmm... looks like somebody must have gotten on GFS' *** over the term 'PAF'. Looks like that somebody must have trademarked the term. Kind of funny considering that it's just an acronym for 'Patent Applied For'... I was wondering why all of a sudden the GFS pickups are now called 'PAT'.

Well' date=' I took the plunge and just recently got my first Epi. It's my first gibson scale guitar and it is really suiting me quite nicely.

There isn't anything more than some pick scratches on the pickguard and I got it for $220.00. I couldn't say no.

I want to put some really nice pups in this before too long. It's okay as is but I'm not really happy with either pup by itself and usually play in the middle position. I want it to sound 'bigger' and 'ballsyer' but not modern. Any recommendations?

[/quote']

Just scratches on the pick guard for $220 - I would call that a major score - looks real pretty.

I can't give you advice on pups, but I'm sure these guys know what they are talking about. I play my Dot through a Valve Jr and I'm happy with the sound. If you do swap, I would be interested in hearing what you think of the results.

Congrats.

Thanks for all the kind feedback and pup advice fellas. I actually have a GFS Fat PAF in my strat right now and I was thinking that might be a good choice for the bridge.

How much surgery do you have to perform to swap pups out on own of these? It looks a little more tricky that working on my strat or tele.

Archived